West Oahu Highlights
Send West Oahu items by fax to 585-6324 or email email@example.com by March 20 to be considered for the March 27 edition.
* OHANA SING Ohana Music Together celebrates Sing with your Child Month at 10 a.m. March 18 at Kapolei Library, and 10:30 a.m. March 30 at Sounds of Success Preschool in Aiea. Call 732-7464.
* BASEBALL GOLF Kahala Warriors Baseball Club has its sixth annual benefit golf tournament at noon March 19 at Ewa Beach Golf Club. Players pay $150 each or $400 for a three-man team, including golf, lunch and buffet dinner. Proceeds will help send players to the Xtreme Diamond World Series in San Diego. Games are played at Central Oahu Regional Park and in Manoa. Call Curt Kalama at 782-8432 or Stan Nuuhiwa at 554-1335.
* BLOOD DRIVES Hawaii Blood Bank has donor drives from 8:30 a.m. to 2:45 p.m. March 19 at Tony Group Autoplex on Ka Uka Boulevard, 7-11:45 a.m. March 22 at Monsanto Co. on Kunia Road, 7 a.m.-1:45 p.m. March 24 at Ewa Beach Elementary on Papipi Road, 7:30-11:45 a.m. March 28 at Island Pacific Academy in Kapolei, 7:30 a.m.-12:45 p.m. March 29 at Resurrection of the Lord Catholic Church on Lumikula Street, 8 a.m.-12:15 p.m. March 30 at HPD training academy on Waipahu Depot Road, and 7 a.m.-2 p.m. March 31 at Waikele Center. Call 848-4770.
* DANCE CLASS The Pearlridge chapter of Hawaii Ballroom Dance Association registers new students beginning March 19 and 26 from 7 to 8 p.m. at Waimalu Elementary School for classes in rumba and East Coast swing. Classes run from April 2-May 21. For fees and details, call 836-4579 or 488-3935.
* GIFT BAGS Eco-crafter Evelyn Nakamura leads a workshop on making gift bags out of old calendar pages at 6 p.m. March 20 at Waipahu Library. Supplies are provided, but double-stick tape and more calendars and tissue would be handy. Call 675-0358.
* KAPOLEI ROTARY Kapolei Rotary Club’s guest speaker, new Hawaiian Home Lands chairwoman Jobie Masagatani, has been rescheduled for April 18 (from March 21) at 7:30 a.m. in the Kapolei High faculty lounge. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* CAFE MUSIC 3rd Cup Cafe & Venue in the Royal Times Kunia Building presents Open Mic Night at 7:30 p.m. March 22 and a Closet Swap (clothes and accessories) at 2 p.m. March 23. Artist of the month is graffiti artist Janice Gaspar, with Garret Fogg and Brandon Brenes. Call 888-6087.
* CHARITY GOLF The 10th annual AFL-CIO Charity Golf Tournament is set for noon March 22 at Pearl Country Club, with proceeds going to Aloha United Way. Considered the single largest one-day fundraiser for AUW, the event features the Golf Ball Drop, Iron Chef Challenge on the course and numerous prizes, drawings and food. For sponsorships and to sign up, call Lance Hamada at 543-2249 or visit hawaflcio.org.
* MUSICAL Performing Arts Center of Kapolei presents Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat March 22-April 6 at Kapolei High School Forum. Shows are at 6:30 p.m. Thursdays and 7:30 p.m Fridays and Saturdays. Food and drinks also are available. For tickets, visit packapolei.org.
* CAR SEATS Kaiser Permanente has free keiki car seat/booster seat inspections from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. March 23 at Waipio Shopping Center. To register, call 432-2260.
* EGG HUNT Waiau District Park hosts its 25th annual Easter egg hunt at 8:30 a.m. March 23 at 98-1650 Kaahumanu St. (above the fire station). It’s a free, bring-your-own-basket event. Call 453-7555.
* ORGANIZE Simply Organized presents a free workshop at 1 p.m. March 23 on “Organize Your Office Space” at its Kapolei store on Kamokila Boulevard, led by Ellyn Sollars. Call 693-8888.
* POUHALA MARSH Volunteers with Hawaii Nature Center help clean up and restore Pouhala Marsh from 8:30 to 11:30 a.m. March 23 on Waipahu Depot Road. Call Pauline at 955-0100, ext. 118.
* BALI SHOW Leeward Community College Theatre presents “A Night in Bali” at 8 p.m. March 23 with Gamelan Segara Madu and other guest artists. Tickets cost $30 to $15, and are $5 less in advance. Call 455-0385.
* WAIPIO SALE Neighbors on Kahuli Street in Waipio plan a “block” garage sale from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. March 23. Parking is best on Moaniani Street. Look for orange-and-yellow signs and balloons on participating houses. Call Shari at 286-0301.
* TRIATHLON Water-front at Puuloa Triathlon, sponsored by Pacific Sport Events, is set for 7 a.m. March 24 at Iroquois Beach and beach park. Call 864-0113 or email email@example.com.
* WEST HIKES The Hawaiian Trail & Mountain Club leads a 12-mile advanced ridge hike to Waiau and the Koolau crest at 8 a.m. March 24; and a 3-mile novice hike on Manana trail to Waimano pool at 8 a.m. March 30. Visit htmclub.org.
* SWAP MEET LAND Public comment are due March 25 to the city Department of Planning and Permitting on a zone change application for Live, Work, Play Aiea, a development proposed for the Kam Swap Meet site by CP Kam Properties. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* NEIGHBORS Pearl City Neighborhood Board meets at 7 p.m. March 26 at Waiau District Park, Makakilo-Kapolei-Honokai Hale meets at 7 p.m. March 27 at Kapolei High cafeteria, and Waipahu at 7 p.m. March 27 at the FilCom Center. Call 768-3710.
* CAREGIVERS The Caregiver Foundation leads a support group at 7 p.m. March 28 at its Kapolei office. Call 625-3782.
* CHURCH EASTER St. Nicholas Episcopal Church plans a Good Friday service at 7 p.m. March 29 and Easter Sunday services at 8:30 and 10 a.m. March 31, followed by an egg hunt, visits to Nazareth Town, Bible activities and a potluck brunch. Everyone is invited. Events are held at Island Pacific Academy in Kapolei. Call 685-1215.
* EGG HUNT Kapolei Commons sponsors a free Easter Egg Hunt from 10 a.m. to noon March 30 for ages 1 to 12 with 4,000 prize-filled eggs to find, plus Easter Bunny photos, face-painting, arts and crafts and a coloring contest. Call 782-5180.
* HONEYBEES The Kapolei-based Malama Learning Center leads a workshop from 9 a.m. to noon March 30 at Kahumana Farms in Waianae on honeybees, their pests, diseases and care. Fee is $10 or $25 for families of up to three people. Call 542-9107 or email email@example.com.
* BOOK SALE Friends of Kapolei Library plan a sale of books (and other media) from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. March 30, plus a close-out sale at 3:30 and volume discounts throughout the day. Call 693-7050.
* EASTER CONCERT The FilCom Center and Banda Kawayan present an Easter concert and program from 3:30 to 7:30 p.m. March 31 in the ballroom and courtyard on Mokuola Street. Call 680-0451.
* AIEA BOOK CLUB The Aiea Book Club meets at 6:30 p.m. April 1 at the Aiea Library to discuss Daughters of Fire by Tom Peek. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* KARTING John Ledesma leads karting clinics from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. on the third Tuesday of each month through December at Podium Raceway, 91-1085 Lexington St., Building 1844 in Kapolei. Fee is $45 for each session, which includes three races, classroom instruction (dynamics, driving and racing lines, braking) and on-track lead and follow. Ledesma is a graduate of the Jim Russell Racing School in Sonoma, Calif. Call 682-7223.
* HULA No Kealoha O Hula offers hula classes Wednesday nights in Waipahu, with beginners at 6 and intermediate students at 7:10 p.m. Call 478-0404.
* ROLLER DERBY The Aloha City Rollers are recruiting new players and referees for league play in the West Oahu area. All men and women ages18-50 are welcome to learn and compete in this fun team sport. Call 454-3847 or visit 808derby.com.
* MASTERS SWIM The Veterans Memorial Aquatic Center has launched a U.S. Masters swimming program, meeting at 7 p.m. each Monday and Wednesday at Central Oahu Regional Park. Call Ruthie Heuton at 677-8510.
* YOGA Holistic Energy Yoga classes meet at 10:30 a.m. Wednesday-Friday at Momilani Community Center. Fee is $10 per class. Call 381-4376.
* COMIC JAMS Pearl-ridge Center hosts Comic Jam Hawaii from 1 to 4 p.m. Sundays Uptown by Hot Unique Images for professional and amateur artists. Call 488-0981.