West Oahu Highlights
Send West Oahu items by fax to 585-6324 or email email@example.com by March 6 to be considered for the March 13 edition.
* BLOOD DRIVES Hawaii Blood Bank has donor drives from 8:30 a.m. to 2:15 p.m. March 5 at Leeward Community College, 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. March 9 at Kapolei Shopping Center, 8:30 a.m. to 2:45 p.m March 19 at Tony Group Autoplex on Ka Uka Boulevard, 7 to 11:45 a.m. March 22 at Monsanto Co. on Kunia Road, 7 a.m. to 1:45 p.m. March 24 at Ewa Beach Elementary School on Papipi Road, 7:30 a.m. to 12:45 p.m. March 29 at Resurrection of the Lord Catholic Church on Lumikula Street, and 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. March 31 at Waikele Center. Call 848-4770.
* SENIOR DIET Kaiser Permanente sponsors a free Senior Summit talk on nutrition facts at 11:15 a.m. March 6 at Leeward YMCA on Mokuola Street (671-6495), and at 10 a.m. March 11 at its Waipio Clinic on Moaniani Street (432-2235).
* AIEA BOOK CLUB The Aiea Book Club meets at 6:30 p.m. March 7 at the Aiea Library to discuss Georgia O’Keefe’s Hawaii by Patricia Jennings and Maria Ausherman, and April 1 to discuss Daughters of Fire by Tom Peek. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* KAPOLEI ROTARY Kapolei Rotary Club meets at 7:30 a.m. March 7 in the Kapolei High faculty lounge to hear a Hawaii Health Connector official discuss benefits of tax credits and subsidies under the Affordable Care Act. Email email@example.com.
* PARENTING TEENS The Parent Project, “Empowering Parents, Transforming Teens,” begins a 10-week course March 7 in Waiau Elementary School library. Classes meet from 6 to 9 p.m. Thursdays and will cover arguing, alcohol, drug use, school attendance and performance, and family resources. The course is free, but materials cost $24. Call June at 753-8135.
* CAFE MUSIC 3rd Cup Cafe & Venue in the Royal Times Kunia Building presents Open Mic Night at 7:30 p.m. March 8. Artist of the month is graffiti artist Janice Gaspar, with Garret Fogg and Brandon Brenes. Call 888-6087.
* LIFEGUARDS The Veterans Memorial Aquatic Center conducts a lifeguard training course March 8, 15, 17 and 24 at Central Oahu Regional Park in Waipio. It’s a blended learning course that has online/hands-on skills. Call aquatic director Ruthie Heuton at 677-8510.
* NISHIHARA TALK State Sen. Clarence Nishihara hosts a coffee hour at 8 a.m. March 9 at the Waipahu Don Quijote. Call 728-1008.
* KRISTIAN LEI West Oahu entertainer and Broadway singer Kristian Lei presents a concert and solo album release at 7:30 p.m. March 9 at Leeward Community College Theater, featuring Honolulu Broadway Babies and a surprise guest star. Tickets cost $50, $35 and $25. Call 979-6557.
* HISTORY DAY The Leeward District History Day Fair is set for March 9 at Waipahu Intermediate School. Call 732-5402, ext. 2.
* JUNIOR GOLF Hawaii Prince and Ko Olina golf courses mark Junior Golf Day with a free and fun introductory golf experience for keiki of all ages from 9 to 11 a.m. March 9. Registration is at 8:30 a.m. Sign up online at hsjga.org.
* AQUAPONICS Halawa Xeriscape Garden sponsors a workshop on Economical Aquaponics at 10:30 a.m. March 9 at 99-1268 Iwaena St. in Halawa Valley. Fee is $5, and registration closes March 8. Call 748-5363.
* NEIGHBORS The Aiea Neighborhood Board meets at 7:30 p.m. March 11 at Aiea Library, and the Ewa board meets at 7 p.m. March 14 at Ewa Beach Library. Call 768-3710.
* CAREGIVERS The Caregiver Foundation leads a support group at 7 p.m. March 12 in the Pearl City-Aiea area. Call 625-3782.
* FRAUD WATCH AARP presents a free workshop at 9:30 a.m. March 13 in “Outsmarting Investment Fraud” at the FilCom Center in Waipahu. To register, call 1-877-926-8300.
* KAPOLEI ROTARY Kapolei Rotary Club meets at 7:30 a.m. March 14 in the Kapolei High faculty lounge to hear an Alaska Airlines official discuss its expanded service to Hawaii. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* GREEN DAY Pearl City Project Grad seeks vendors for its March 16 Green Day Garage Sale and Fair (9 a.m. to 2 p.m.). Fee is $50 per outside booth and $25 per student booth. Applications were due by Feb. 28 for the fair, which has a theme of “reuse, recycle, reinvent and renew.” Call 778-2752, 722-5101 or email@example.com
* STARGAZING The Hawaiian Astronomical Society brings its telescopes to Geiger Community Park in Ewa from 6:40 to 10 p.m. March 16 for a free stargazing party. Go to hawastsoc.org.
* ORGANIZE Simply Organized presents a free workshop at 1 p.m. March 16 on “Declutter and Organize for Spring with Iris Plastic Containers” at its Kapolei store on Kamokila Boulevard, led by Bill Jenks. Call 748-5363.
* BASEBALL GOLF Kahala Warriors Baseball Club has its sixth annual benefit golf tournament at noon March 19 at Ewa Beach Golf Club. Players pay $150 each or $400 for a three-man team, including golf, lunch and buffet dinner. Proceeds will help send players to the Xtreme Diamond World Series in San Diego. Games are played at Central Oahu Regional Park and in Manoa. Call Curt Kalama at 782-8432 or Stan Nuuhiwa at 554-1335.
* TRIATHLON Water-front at Puuloa Triathlon, sponsored by Pacific Sport Events, is set for 7 a.m. March 24 at Iroquois Beach and beach park. Call 864-0113 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* WAIAU HIKE The Hawaiian Trail & Mountain Club leads a 12-mile advanced ridge hike to Waiau and the Koolau crest at 8 a.m. March 24. Visit htmclub.org.
* CYCLING TIPS Hawaii Bicycling League instructors run a Commuter Cycling 101 class from 1 to 3 p.m. April 13 and May 11 at Leeward Community College’s Learning Commons. Topics are safe practices, cyclist rights, rules of the road, equipment safety checks, lane positioning and more, including practice drills outside and a group ride. Space is limited. Call 735-5756 or visit hbl.org.
* KARTING John Ledesma leads karting clinics from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. on the third Tuesday of each month through December at Podium Raceway, 91-1085 Lexington St., Building 1844 in Kapolei. Fee is $45 for each session, which includes three races, classroom instruction (dynamics, driving and racing lines, braking) and on-track lead and follow. Ledesma is a graduate of the Jim Russell Racing School in Sonoma, Calif. Call 682-7223 or email email@example.com m.
* KART RACES The Super Quick Racing League sponsors 14-lap kart races at 6:30 p.m. on the second and fourth Tuesday of each month at Podium Raceway, 91-1085 Lexington St. Building 1844 in Kapolei. Fee is $45 for three races. Call 682-7223 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* STORYTIME Waipahu Library has a storytime for children ages 3 to 5 at 10:30 a.m. Thursdays now through March 28 in its Children’s Room. Each storytime offers a short craft project, puzzles or educational toys. Call 675-0358.
* AARP TAX PREP Foundation Tax-Aide offers free tax preparation help for low-to-moderate income individuals and families from 9 a.m. to noon Tuesdays at Waipahu Civic Center and from 9 a.m. to noon Thursdays at Kroc Center in Ewa Beach. The sessions run through April 11. Call 450-2549.
* STRIDERS The Leeward Stroller Strides group meets at 8:45 a.m. Tuesdays and Thursday at Central Oahu Regional Park, offering a fitness walk for moms and tots in strollers. Fee is $60 a month. A Kapolei group meets at 8:45 a.m. Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Call 398-6275.
* HULA No Kealoha O Hula offers hula classes Wednesday nights in Waipahu, with beginners at 6 and intermediate students at 7:10 p.m. Call Desiree at 478-0404.
* ROLLER DERBY The Aloha City Rollers are recruiting new players and referees for league play in the West Oahu area. All men and women ages18-50 are welcome to learn and compete in this fun team sport. Call 454-3847 or visit 808derby.com.
* MASTERS SWIM The Veterans Memorial Aquatic Center has launched a U.S. Masters swimming program, meeting at 7 p.m. each Monday and Wednes-day at Central Oahu Regional Park. Call Ruthie Heuton at 677-8510.
* SLACK KEY Yameen Fong conducts beginner slack-key guitar classes from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. Thursdays at Ewa Beach Community Park on North Road. The course consists of four sessions, and students should bring their own guitars. Call 685-6035 evenings or visit fongsmusic.home-stead.com.
* EWA CERT The Ewa Beach Emergency Preparedness Committee working to organize Community Emergency Preparedness Teams (CERT) to train residents in how to respond to a disaster. Call chairman Donald Harlor at 682-0111.
* YOGA Holistic Energy Yoga classes meet at 10:30 a.m. Wednesday-Friday at Momilani Community Center. Fee is $5 per class. Call 381-4376.
* RUGBY Players and coaches are invited to join USO Athletics-Hawaii Youth Rugby in several age-group teams for boys, and under 16 for girls. Call Raymond Maae at 692-3589 or visit hawaiiyouthrugby.com.
* BRIDGE PLAYERS Bridge players are invited to join in games with residents in the Makaha area. Call Flo at 695-8106.
* KEIKI COUNCIL The Central District South Community Children’s Council meets at 6 p.m. on the fourth Tuesday in Moanalua High School Room G104; and the Leeward council meets at 6:30 p.m. on the first Wednesday at the State of Hawaii building, 601 Kamokila Blvd. in Kapolei. Parents of children with special needs are welcome. Call 586-5363.
* COMIC JAMS Pearl-ridge Center hosts Comic Jam Hawaii from 1 to 4 p.m. Sundays Uptown, second level by Hot Unique Images, for pro and amateur artists. Call 488-0981.
* ROTARY P.M. The Rotary Club of Kapolei Sunset meets at 5:30 p.m. Mondays at Roy’s Ko Olina for a dinner program ($20). Email email@example.com.