West Oahu Event Calendars
Send West Oahu items by fax to 585-6324 or email email@example.com by Feb. 20 to be considered for the Feb. 27 edition.
* KARTING John Ledesma leads karting clinics from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Feb. 19, and on the third Tuesday of each month through December at Podium Raceway, 91-1085 Lexington St., Bldg. 1844 in Kapolei. Fee is $45 for each session, which includes three races, classroom instruction (dynamics, driving and racing lines, braking) and on-track lead and follow. Ledesma is a graduate of the Jim Russell Racing School in Sonoma, Calif. Call 682-7223 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* JOB READY Leeward Community College observes Career and Technical Education (CTE) Month with activities in its job-ready training programs from 9 a.m. to noon Feb. 20 (job-prep services), 9 to 9:50 a.m. Feb. 21 (labor market), noon to 1 p.m. Feb. 25 (LifeSmarts student competition) and 5:30 p.m. Feb. 27 (AA in teaching details). A CTE open house also is set for 9 a.m.-noon Feb. 26. Call Kathleen Cabral at 455-0524.
* KAPOLEI ROTARY Kapolei Rotary Club meets at 7:30 a.m. Feb. 21 at Kapolei High’s faculty lounge with guest speaker Manuel Mollinedo, outgoing director of Honolulu Zoo. He will discuss the challenges of the job as he prepares to retire March 1. Email email@example.com.
* BLACK HISTORY Kapolei Hale hosts a Black History Month exhibit from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. week-days through Feb. 21. Call 768-6622.
* SAFE CAR SEATS Safety technicians inspect children’s car seats or booster seats for proper installation from 3:30 to 6 p.m. Feb. 22 at Kaiser’s Waipio Clinic. Come with car seats installed, and bring manual and car seat instructions. Pre-registration is required for the free service. Call 432-2260.
* CAFE MUSIC 3rd Cup Cafe & Venue in the Royal Times Kunia Building presents Open Mic Night at 7:30 p.m. Feb. 22 and 1Light playing jazz and Latin music at 7:30 p.m. Feb. 23. Artist of the month Radley Urata has graffiti-based art. Call 888-6087.
* GABBARD HOUR State Sen. Michael Gabbard hosts a “listen story” meeting at 9 a.m. Feb. 23 at Kapolei Starbucks (next to Chevron gas station). Call 586-6830.
* MANANA HIKE Hawaiian Trail & Mountain Club leads a 12-mile advanced ridge hike in Pacific Palisades/Manana at 8 a.m. Feb. 23. Go to htmclub.org.
* EARTH OVENS Malama Learning Center conducts a class on making earth ovens at 9 a.m. Feb. 23 at Kaala Cultural Learning Center in Waianae. Fee is $10 per person, or $25 for families of three or less. Call 542-9107.
* IMMIGRATION The FilCom Center has free public outreach programs on immigration issues at 9 a.m. Feb. 23 (Becoming a U.S. Citizen) and March 2 (Getting a Passport). Call 680-0451.
* BAD BUGS Halawa Xeriscape Garden has a “Good Bug vs. Bad Bug” workshop from 10:30 a.m. to noon Feb. 23 at 99-1268 Iwaena St. in Halawa Valley, featuring tips on attracting the good ones to plants and identifying and managing the bad ones in a good way. Bring mystery bugs in a chilled, air-tight bag. Fee is $5. Call 748-5363.
* TAGALOG The Filipino Community Center presents cultural and educational activities and performances on “The Best of the Tagalog Region” from 3:30 to 7:30 p.m. Feb. 24 at 94-428 Mokuola St. Call 680-0451.
* BLOOD DRIVES Hawaii Blood Bank has donor drives from 8:30 a.m. to 2:45 p.m. Feb. 25 at Aiea High library, 8 a.m. to 2:45 p.m. Feb. 26 at Pearl City High multi-purpose room, and 8 a.m. to 1:45 p.m. Feb. 27 at the state’s Kakuhihewa Building on Kamokila Boulevard. Call 848-4770.
* NEIGHBORS The Pearl City Neighborhood Board meets at 7 p.m. Feb. 26 at Waiau District Park, the Waipahu board meets at 7 p.m. Feb. 27 at the FilCom Center on Mokuola Street, and MakakiloKapolei-Honokai Hale meets at 7 p.m. Feb. 27 at Kapolei High cafeteria. Call 768-3710.
* CAREGIVERS The Caregiver Foundation sponsors a support group from 7 to 9 p.m. Feb. 28 at its Kapolei offices. Call 625-3782.
* AIEA BOOK CLUB The Aiea Book Club meets at 6:30 p.m. March 7 at the Aiea Library to discuss Georgia O’Keefe’s Hawaii by Patricia Jennings and Maria Ausherman. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* LIFEGUARDS The Veterans Memorial Aquatic Center conducts a lifeguard training course March 8, 15, 17 and 24 at Central Oahu Regional Park in Waipio. It’s a blended learning course that shares online/hands-on skills. Call aquatic director Ruthie Heuton at 677-8510.
* GREEN DAY Pearl City Project Graduation seeks vendors for its March 16 Green Day Garage Sale and Fair (9 a.m. to 2 p.m.). Fee is $50 per outside booth and $25 per student booth. Applications are due by Feb. 28 for the fair, which has a theme of “reuse, recycle, reinvent and renew.” Call 778-2752 or 722-5101
* KART RACES The Super Quick Racing League sponsors 14-lap kart races at 6:30 p.m. on the second and fourth Tuesday of each month at Podium Raceway, 91-1085 Lexington St. Building 1844 in Kapolei. Fee is $45 for three races. Call 682-7223 or email email@example.com.
* AARP TAX PREP Foundation Tax-Aide has free tax preparation help for low-to-moderate income individuals and families from 9 a.m. to noon Tuesdays at Waipahu Civic Center and from 9 a.m. to noon Thursdays at Kroc Center in Ewa Beach, running through April 11. Call 450-2549.
* MASTERS SWIM Veterans Memorial Aquatic Center conducts a U.S. Masters swimming program at 7 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays at Central Oahu Regional Park. Call Ruthie Heuton at 677-8510.
* SLACK KEYYameen Fong leads beginner slack-key guitar classes at 6:30 p.m. Thursdays at Ewa Beach Community Park on North Road. Call 685-6035 evenings or visit fongsmusic.homestead.com.
* BRIDGE PLAYERS Bridge players are invited to join in games with West Oahu residents, playing in the Makaha area. Call Flo at 695-8106.