West Oahu Highlights
Send items on West Oahu events by fax to 585-6324 or email email@example.com by Dec. 12 to be considered for the Dec. 19 edition.
* NEIGHBORS The Aiea Neighborhood Board meets at 7 p.m. Dec. 10 at Pearl Ridge Elementary cafeteria. Call 768-3710.
* ALZHEIMER’S Kaiser Permanente conducts a free Senior Summit at 11 a.m. Dec. 10 with a speaker from the Alzheimer’s Association at its Waipio Clinic, 94-1480 Moaniani St. Call 432-2235.
* JUSTICE FAIR The Hawaii Access to Justice Commission conducts a community briefing and mini-legal fair for the Leeward community at 6 p.m. Dec. 11 at Waianae District Park. Chief Justic Mark Recktenwald, Associate Justice Simeon Acoba Jr. and service providers will attend. Call 586-9425.
* FUJIKAWA GOLF The fifth annual Tadd Fujikawa Invitational Golf Tournament starts at noon Dec. 13 on Kapolei Golf Course. Fee is $300 per player, and proceeds go to the March of Dimes. Call 973-2155.
* DEAF SANTA Pearl-ridge Center hosts a Deaf Santa visit from 9 a.m. to noon Dec. 13 Uptown, second level, with a signing Santa, his interpreting elves and entertainment by deaf and hard-of-hearing performers. Call 488-0981.
* MAKEKE KAPOLEI Kapolei High School’s weekly Farmers and Green Market is open from 3 to 6:30 p.m. Dec. 13, adding a free holiday decorations class with Malia Lagaso from 4 to 6 p.m., using natural materials. Call 692-8200.
* FRUIT FLIES Pearl City Urban Garden Center has a class in Hawaii Fruit Fly Suppression from 9 a.m. to noon Dec. 14. Bring a 12-ounce soda bottle. Call 453-6050 to reserve a seat.
* CAFE MUSIC 3rd Cup Cafe & Venue in the Royal Times Kunia Building features Open Mic night at 7:30 p.m. Dec. 14 and Slam Poetry Night at 8 p.m. Dec. 15. Art for December is by the children of Onemalu Transitional Homeless Shelter, and proceeds from sales and some venue profits will benefit the shelter at Kalaeloa. Call 888-6087.
* EWA PARADE Ewa Beach Lions Club sponsors a Christmas parade from 10 a.m. to noon Dec. 15, starting and ending at Ilima Intermediate School. Call 685-3693.
* WAIANAE PARADE The Waianae Coast Rotary Club hosts its 17th annual Christmas Day Parade at 10 a.m. Dec. 15, starting at Waianae Boat Harbor and ending at the Waianae Mall. Call 668-8700 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* TREE SALES Habilitat, a nonprofit drug rehab facility on Oahu, operates a Christmas tree lot from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. now through Dec. 15 at Stadium Mall for pre-orders as well as walk-in sales. Call 235-3691.
* MARSH CLEANUP Hawaii Nature Center volunteers clean up Pouhala Marsh from 8:30 to 11:30 a.m. Dec. 15. Call 955-0100, ext. 118.
* GOODWILL GAMES The inaugural Waipahu Goodwill Pinto Baseball Tournament is set for Dec. 15 and 16 at Waipahu High School, and team recruitment is ongoing for ages 7 to 8. Fee is $250. Call Jared at 429-3872.
* GIFT WRAP Waipahu Project Grad volunteers offer gift-wrap services from 10:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Dec. 15-16 and Dec. 21-24 at Don Quijote in Waipahu. Proceeds support the senior grad night party. Call 216-7449.
* PALISADES FAIR Pacific Palisades Community Center hosts a holiday fair from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Dec. 16 at 2106 Aamanu St. in Pearl City. Call 455-5182.
* WAIPAHU PASKO The FilCom Center presents its free annual “Pasko sa FilCom” from 3:30 to 7:30 p.m. Dec. 16 at the Waipahu facility with Filipino food, holiday treats, handicrafts and ornaments for sale, plus traditional music, dance and the Panunuluyan (a reenactment of Mary and Joseph’s search for an inn). Call 680-0451.
* GRINCH Pearl City Library presents “A Visit with the Grinch” at 9:30 a.m. Dec. 19, plus holiday songs and photo ops with the Grinch himself. Call 453-6566
* SANTA NIGHT Kapolei Library presents puppeteer Christy Lipps at 6:30 p.m. Dec. 19 performing favorite children’s holiday stories with her hand-crafted puppets, plus finger plays, songs, and the arrival of Santa and his elf (for photos). Call 693-7050.
* EWA PLAN City Councilman Tom Berg sponsors a public forum at 7 p.m. Dec. 19 at Kapolei Hale on the Ewa Development Plan amendments. Call 768-5001.
* CIVIL WAR TALKS Kapolei Library concludes its series of public readings and discussions exploring the U.S. Civil War at 6:30 p.m. Dec. 19 on the topic of Hawaii and Hawaiians in the Civil War. Call 693-7050.
* BENEFIT CONCERT The vocal ensemble Melemai Kapu’uwaimai performs its Christmas Choral Concert at 7 p.m. Dec. 20 at St. Timothy’s Episcopal Church in Aiea. Tickets are $5 presale or $10 at the door, and proceeds support a spring concert tour of Kauai with director Marilyn Kim, recently retired LCC music teacher. Call 680-9544.
* OUTREACH PARTY Lighthouse Outreach Center’s 12th annual Christmas celebration is from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Dec. 22 at 94-230 Leokane St. with free candy, toys, plate lunches, games, bouncers, music and prizes. Call 542-1001.
* PREP FOOTBALL The Kapolei Islanderz are registering boys and girls in grades 4-8 for junior prep tackle football. Fee is $183 with no weight limit. Call Leilani Maae at 275-6134 or visit kapoleiislanderz.com.
* YOGA Holistic Energy Yoga classes meet at 10:30 a.m. Wednesday-Friday at Momilani Community Center. Fee is $5 per class. Call 381-4376.
* EXPRESS Pearlridge Center runs its Pearlridge Express train rides for keiki under 48 inches Dec. 1-31 for $3 per child, departing from Uptown center court. Call 488-0981.
* RUGBY Players and coaches are invited to join USO Athletics-Hawaii Youth Rugby in several age-group teams for boys, and under 16 for girls. Call Raymond Maae at 692-3589 or visit hawaiiyouthrugby.com.
* BRIDGE PLAYERS Bridge and/or pinochle players are invited to join in games in Ko Olina with area residents. Call Valerie at 206-391-1755.
* KEIKI COUNCIL The Central District South Community Children’s Council meets at 6 p.m. on the fourth Tuesday of the month in Moanalua High School room G104; and the Leeward council meets at 6:30 p.m. on the first Wednesday at the State of Hawaii building, 601 Kamokila Blvd. in Kapolei. All parents of children with special needs are welcome. Call 586-5363.
* COMIC JAMS Pearl-ridge Center hosts Comic Jam Hawaii from 1 to 4 p.m. Sundays Uptown, second level by Hot Unique Images, welcoming professional and amateur artists. Call 488-0981.
* ROLLER DERBY The West Oahu Roller Derby’s Aloha City Rollers practice and train evenings at a track at Kalaeloa. Men and women age 18 and older are welcome as new players or referees. Positive attitude and team-work required. Go to alohacityrollers.com or email email@example.com.
* ROTARY P.M. The Rotary Club of Kapolei Sunset meets at 5:30 p.m. Mondays at Roy’s Ko Olina, second floor, for a program and light dinner. Cost is $20. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org.
* ROTARY A.M. Kapolei Rotary Club meets at 7:30 a.m. Thursdays in the faculty lounge at Kapolei High School. Call 722-1489 or email email@example.com
* BUDDHISTS Kapolei Buddhist Sangha has Sunday services at 9 a.m. at American Renaissance Academy at Barbers Point, including a Dharma school for children. Call 221-9661.