West Oahu Highlights
Below are highlights of West Oahu events. Fax items to 585-6324 or email email@example.com by Nov. 14 in order for them to be considered for the Nov. 21 edition.
* MEDICARE Kaiser Permanente presents its Straight-Talk Seminar on Medicare at 9 a.m. Nov. 13 at the Waipio Clinic, 94-1480 Moaniani St. RSVP to 1-877-418-5912.
* BLOOD DRIVES Hawaii Blood Bank has donor drives from 8:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Nov. 13 at Pali Momi Medical Center conference room, 8:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m. Nov. 13 at Tony Group Autoplex on Ka Uka Boulevard, 7 a.m.-1:15 p.m. Nov. 18 at Ewa Beach Elementary, and 8:30 a.m.-3 p.m. Nov. 21 at Pearl City High School. Call 848-4770.
* MIDDLE AGES Native American C.R. Greywolf presents a cultural program on “The Middle Ages: Eastern Asia” at 6:30 p.m. Nov. 14, bringing with him his handcrafted historic weaponry. Call 693-6050.
* TURKEY GOLF The second annual Golf Bytes Turkey Scramble tournament runs from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Nov. 14 at Waikele Country Cub with proceeds going to a scholarship fund for the Pacific Center for Advanced Technology Training. Call 673-0672.
* GIFT IDEAS Volunteers with Family and Community Education demonstrate Christmas gift and decorating ideas at 6:30 p.m. Nov. 14 at Waipahu Library (675-0358) and Nov. 19 at Ewa Beach Library (689-1204).
* GENTRY PLAN The city Planning Commission has a public hearing at 1:30 p.m. Nov. 14 in the Mission Memorial conference room on a zone-change request from Gentry Investment Properties to change 27 acres of Ewa by Gentry land from R-5 to A-1 (low density apartments). The parcel is near Ocean Pointe and the Barbers Point Golf Course. Call 768-8007.
* COLLEGE FORMS Hawaii P-20 Partnerships for Education conducts a college application session for Waipahu High seniors at 6 p.m. Nov. 15 at the school. Call 956-5443 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* OPEN MARKET Prince Kuhio Community Center has an open market from 3 to 7 p.m. Nov. 16 at 91-1270 Kinoiki St. in Kapolei, near the Hawaiian Home Lands building. Call 780-6082, 394-0050 or email email@example.com.
* MOVIE NIGHT Kroc Center sponsors “Friday Night Family Feast and Movie” at 6:30 p.m. Nov. 16 at 91-3257 Kualakai Parkway. For cost and reservations, call 682-5505.
* CAR SEATS Kaiser Permanente conducts free inspections of child booster and car seats from 3:30 to 6 p.m. Nov. 16 at its Waipio clinic, 94-1480 Moaniani St. Call 432-2260.
* CAFE MUSIC 3rd Cup Cafe & Venue in the Royal Times Kunia Building features Heavy Weights playing Hawaiian music at 8 p.m. Nov. 16 and Slam Poetry Night at 8 p.m. Nov. 17. Artist of the month is Charis Deremer and her paintings. Call 888-6087.
* ALICE Leeward Community College Theatre presents Alice in Wonderland at 8 p.m. Nov. 15, 16 and 17. For tickets, call 455-0386 or order online at lcctheatre.hawaii.edu.
* GREEN CRAFTS Evelyn Nakamura leads classes in furoshiki, an eco-friendly craft program, at 10:30 a.m. Nov. 17 at Kapolei Library (693-7050) and 2 p.m. Nov. 25 at Pearl City Library (453-6566).
* VETS RACE The eighth annual 5K Patriot Run/Walk begins at 8 a.m. Nov. 17 at The Waterfront at Pu’uloa in Ewa Beach to benefit U.S. VETS. Fee is $40 for the public on race day; additional sponsorships are encouraged. Visit patriotrunhawaii.com or call 271-7022.
* SEASON’S BEST A Season’s Best Craft Fair runs from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Nov. 17 at Aiea Elementary School with more than 150 booths. Call 683-6064.
* KEIKI BOOK Cartoonist Roy Chang discusses his new manga-style book, Cacy and Kiara and the Curse of the Ki’i, at 11 a.m. Nov. 17 at Aiea Library. Call 483-7333.
* AIEA CONCERTS Pearlridge Center presents free concerts by Taimane at noon and Maunalua at 2 p.m. Nov. 17; John Cruz at 2 p.m. Nov. 24 and Melveen Leed at 2 p.m. Nov. 25, all on the Uptown stage. Also planned is the Hawaii Music Works fall concert at 7 p.m. Nov. 17 Uptown. Call 488-0981.
* PARROTS The Aloha Hawaiian Parrot Association meets for potluck lunch and a guest speaker at noon Nov. 18 at Neal Blaisdell Park in Pearl City. Veterinarian Brian Walsh discusses parrot care. Call 381-5545.
* CHARGERS FAIR Pearl City High School’s special ed department has a craft fair from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Nov. 18 in the cafeteria. Call 454-5666.
* COMIC JAM Comic Jam Hawaii returns to Pearlridge Center from 1 to 4 p.m. Nov. 21 Uptown near Hot Unique Images, where cartoonists will create a project together. Call 488-0981.
* WREATHS Halawa Xeriscape Garden conducts holiday wreath-making workshops at 10:30 a.m. Nov. 24 and Dec. 1 at 99-1268 Iwaena St. Fee is $5. Call 748-5363 for details and to register.
* TENNIS The Lana Hudson Fund doubles tennis tournament runs from 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Nov. 24 at Central Oahu Regional Park courts. The late Lana Anela Soares Hudson was an avid tennis player and strong supporter of autism awareness on behalf of her granddaughter. Call 358-7061.
* MARSH CLEANUP Hawaii Nature Center volunteers clean up Pouhala Marsh from 8:30 to 11:30 a.m. Nov. 24 and Dec. 15. Call 955-0100, ext. 118.
* KEIKI COUNCIL The Central District South Community Children’s Council meets at 6 p.m. on the fourth Tuesday of the month in Moanalua High School Room G104; and the Leeward council meets at 6:30 p.m. on the first Wednesday at the State of Hawaii building, 601 Kamokila Blvd. in Kapolei All parents of children with special needs are welcome. Call 586-5363.
* ZUMBA Kaiser Permanente has Zumba classes at 5:30 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays, Oct. 24-Dec. 12 at its Waipio Clinic. Fee is $6.50 per class for non-members. Call 432-2260.
* ZUMBA Waipahu United Church of Christ has Zumba classes for $3 at 9 a.m. Saturday for both active seniors and beginners at 94-330 Mokuola St. Call 551-5781 or 677-3317.
* PET FOOD DRIVE The Kapolei and Pearl City PETCOs accept unopened, unexpired dry pet food daily so Hawaiian Humane Society can help owners better afford to feed their pets. Call 356-2217.