West Oahu Highlights
Below are highlights of what’s coming up in West Oahu. Fax items to 5856324 or email firstname.lastname@example.org one week ahead of the Wednesday publication date.
* ROTARY TALK Mayor Peter Carlisle is guest speaker at 7:30 a.m. March 1 at the Kapolei Rotary Club’s breakfast meeting in the faculty lounge at Kapolei High School. Call 722-1489 or email email@example.com.
* CAREER FAIR Campbell High School sponsors a Career Fair from 6 to 8 p.m. March 1 in the cafeteria, bringing together employers, recruiters and trainers for interviews with students. Call Rowena at 687-3006.
* SABERS RECYCLE
Campbell High School plans a community recycling drive accepting everything from scrap metal to green waste from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. March 3 at the school. Call 306-1876.
* EARTH DAY Our Savior Lutheran School in Aiea hosts its first Aloha Aina Earth Day from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. March 10 at the school.
* WHITE ELEPHANT Pearl City Community Church hosts a White Elephant Fundraiser from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. March 10 at 933 Lehua Ave. in Pearl City, featuring food, plants and more. Proceeds benefit the River of Life Mission and the UCC Transition House for Women. Contact Joanne Takamoto at 8392056 or Nancy Yoshimoto at 487-7895.
* FAMILY FAIR Our Lady of Perpetual Help School hosts its Grand Giveaway & Family Fair from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. March 3 at 91-1010 North Road in Ewa Beach.
* FILM SCREENING The Japanese Cultural Center of Hawaii presents a film about Honouliuli Camp and the history of Japanese internment in Hawaii at 10:30 a.m. March 10 at Kapolei Public Library. Visit librarieshawaii.org.
* AQUAPONICS The Board of Water Supply and The Aquaponics Association-Hawaii chapter present an “Economical Aquaponics” workshop from 10:30 a.m. to noon March 10 at the Halawa Xeriscape Garden. The free workshop introduces the aquaponics agricultural method, which involves using nutrients from live fish to nourish plants. Participants must register by 2 p.m. March 9. To register, call 748-5363 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit boardofwatersupply.com.
* MANANA HIKE The Hawaiian Trail & Mountain Club leads a 12-mile advanced hike to Pacific Palisade ridge at 8 a.m. March 11. Go to htmclub.org.
* BENEFIT DINNER The Ihilani hotel ballroom is the site for the second annual Black & Gold Engagement fundraiser dinner, set for 4-9 p.m. March 18 to benefit the Nanakuli High wrestling program. Tickets cost $100 each. Call Aika Makaula at 2033844.
* FAMILY FUN Aiea High School hosts Family Fun Fair to celebrate its 50th anniversary from 4 to 9 p.m. March 30 at the school. Call Nancy at 3827713.
* VENDORS NEEDED Kapolei Project Grad seeks vendors and crafters for its spring craft fair, set for 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. March 31; also planned is a dancing/Zumba class at 8 a.m. for $10. Call 478-8582 or 753-4374.
* EDUCATIONAL DISPLAY “The Hawaii Internment Experience,” a display development by the Japanese Cultural Center of Hawaii, is available for viewing at Kapolei Public Library through March 31. Go to librarieshawaii.org or call 693-7050.
* TAX HELP Volunteers with AARP Foundation Tax-Aide offer free tax preparation for low-tomoderate income households through April 12 at Waipahu Civic Center, 94275 Mokuola St. Room 102. Hours are 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays. Call 450-2549.
* GOODWILL TAXES Goodwill’s Kapolei store has Volunteer Income Tax Assistance volunteers on duty now through April 7 at 2140 Lauwiliwili St., offering help from 4:30 to 7:30 p.m. Tuesdays and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturdays. Call 436-9948.
* HALAWA LUNCH Halawa Xeriscape Garden offers free Brown Bag tours from noon to 12:45 p.m. each Wednesday, inviting working folks to take their lunch break in the garden and learn conservation tips at the same time. Call 748-5363.
* ZUMBA Waipahu United Church of Christ hosts Zumba Gold classes for active seniors and beginners at 8:30 and 9:30 a.m. Saturdays (except Feb. 11) at 94-330 Mokuloa St. in Waipahu. For fees and details, call 619-471-7045.
* FLAG FOOTBALL The 808 Ohana Flag Football league is registering players age 4 to 17 for the upcoming season in West Oahu from Kapolei to Aiea. Coaches and teams also needed. Call Richard at 590-1710 or email Mark at email@example.com.