West Oahu Highlights
Below are highlights of what’ s coming up in West Oahu. Fax items to 585- 6324 or email them to email@example.com by Sept. 19 for the Sept. 26 edition.
• SCREENINGS Pali Momi’s “Health Monday” offers free blood pressure and blood-sugar level screenings from 7:45 to 9:30 a.m. Sept. 17 at Pearlridge Center Uptown, second level by Ecko Unlimited. Call 488-0981.
• BALLROOM Pearlridge’s Ballroom Dance chapter registers new stu- dents at 7 p.m. Sept. 18, 25 and Oct.2 and 9 at Waimanu Elementary for classes beginning at 7 p.m. Oct. 2 in nightclub two- step, waltz and mambo. Call 836-4579 or 488- 3935.
• WIRELESS TIPS Verizon Wireless conducts a free workshop at 3 p.m. Sept. 19 at its Kapolei store (Apple iPad 2), 9 a.m. Sept. 23 at its Pearlridge Center Uptown store (Android setup) and 5 p.m. Sept. 27 at its Pearl Highlands store (Apple iPhone 4S). Call 531-6087, ext. 109.
• BUSINESS HELP U.S. Small Business Administration specialists offer an SBA Resource Day for small-business owners from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sept. 20 at the Pearlridge branch of First Hawaiian Bank, and Sept. 27 at the Waipahu branch of FHB. Call 541-2990, ext. 211 for an appointment.
• OPEN MARKET Prince Kuhio Community Center has an open market from 3 to 7 p.m. Sept. 21 at 91-1270 Kinoiki St. in Kapolei, near the Hawaiian Home Lands building. Call 780-6082.
• ELDER HOUSING The city Department of Planning and Permitting has a public hearing at 10:30 a.m. Sept. 21 in the Mission Memorial Annex on a conditional use permit for a 134-unit, special needs housing complex for the elderly on Kuala Street in Pearl City. Call Ann Asaumi at 768-8020.
• LITERACY GOLF The Friends of the Library of Hawaii sponsor the annual Links to Literacy golf tournament at 11:30 a.m. Sept. 21 at Ko Olina Golf Club. Call 536-4174.
• KUNIA MARKET Kunia Shopping Center hosts a Mahiku Farmers Market from 3 to 7 p.m. Sept. 21 with produce, food products, crafts and merchant discounts — on the second level behind Denny’s. Call 753-7507.
• REUNION UPDATE Deadline is Sept. 21 to reserve a seat ($30) at the Waipahu High Class of 1972 reunion buffet dinner and music by Funky Stuff, set for 6-11 p.m. Oct. 6 at Monterey Bay Cannery at Pearlridge. Mail cash or check payable to Amy Park, 94-840 Lelepua St. #14-D, Waipahu, HI 96797. Also planned is a family picnic ($10 due Sept. 21) from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Oct. 7 at Rainbow Bay Cabanas A&B Pearl Harbor, catered by Tanioka’s (or bring potluck). Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• KUNIA MUSIC 3rd Cup Cafe & Venue hosts Tony Kato and Ken Leong playing traditional jazz at 7:30 p.m. Sept. 21 and Batist Band at 7:30 p.m. Sept. 22 playing jazz and Latin music on the second floor of the Times building in Royal Kunia. Call 888- 6087.
• ORGANIZED Simply Organized conducts a free workshop at 1 p.m. Sept. 22 on “FreedomRail” at its Kapolei store, featuring prizes and discounts. Call 529-5806.
• PARK OPENING Ewa Beach Community Park has a grand opening for its new playground — a huge Explorer Dome — from 1:30 to 3 p.m. Sept. 22 with refreshments. The park is located at 99-955 North Road. Call 284- 3103.
• MISSION FAIR Ewa Community Church sponsors its 31st annual Mission Fair from 9 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Sept. 22 at 91-1258 Renton Road, featuring entertainment, prize drawings, food, plants, crafts, rummage, games and a silent auction. Parking is at Ewa Elementary School next door. Call 681-3471.
• MAKING DYES Malama Learning Center plans a hands-on workshop with Bernice Akamine on “Making Natural Dyes” from 9 a.m. to noon Sept. 22 at Ilima at Leihano, 891 Kamaaha Ave. in Kapolei. Fee is $10 or $25 for fam- ilies of up to three people. Call 542-9107.
• NEIGHBORS Pearl City Neighborhood Board meets at 7 p.m. Sept. 25 at Waiau District Park, Makakilo-Kapolei-Honokai Hale meets at 7 p.m. Sept. 26 at Kapolei High cafeteria, and Waipahu meets at 7 p.m. Sept. 26 at the FilCom Center. Call 768-3710.
• FOLKLORE FIESTA Leeward Community College Theatre hosts Los Amigos Ballet Forklorico Fiesta & Concert from 5 to 7 p.m. Sept. 29, also featuring mariachi music and a special appearance by Al Harrington. Tickets cost $15 in advance or $20 at the door. Call 689- 4651.
• BALLROOM Kapolei’s Ballroom Dance chapter registers students Oct. 1, 8 and 15 at Kapolei Elementary cafeteria for Monday evening classes in cha cha, foxtrot and bachata. Classes start Oct. 1. Call 781-2076.