West Oahu Highlights
Below are highlights of what’s coming up in West Oahu. Fax items to 5856324 or email firstname.lastname@example.org one week ahead of the Wednesday publication date.
* NEIGHBORS Makakilo-Kapolei-Honokai Hale Neighborhood Board meets at 7 p.m. Feb. 22 in Kapolei High cafeteria, Waipahu meets at 7 p.m. Feb. 23 at the Filcom Center, and Pearl City meets at 7 p.m. Feb. 28 at Waiau District Park. Call 7683710.
* ORGANIZE Simply Organized hosts a free workshop with prizes at 1 p.m. at its Kapolei store Feb. 25. The workshop will discuss organizing with plastic containers. Call 5295801.
* FARMLAND RALLY Save Oahu Farmlands Alliance hosts a Rally, March & Farm Festival to raise awareness about food security and the loss of farmland, including land in West Oahu, from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Kakaako Waterfront Park Feb. 25. The event begins with a march down Ala Moana Boulevard and will include a farmers market, with entertainment and various food and art vendors. For more information, visit saveoahufarmlands.org.
* CAR SEATS Kaiser Permanente’s Waipio Clinic conducts free child car and booster seat inspections from 3:30 to 6:30 p.m. Feb. 24 at 94-1480 Moaniani St. Call 432-2260 for an appointment.
* SENIOR TIPS Attorney Scott Suzuki discusses power of attorney, Medicare, healthcare directives and other issues of concern to elders at 10:30 a.m. Feb. 25 at Kapolei Library. Call 693-7050.
* LUTHERAN MUSIC The annual Hawaii Lutheran Schools Music Festival is set for 7 p.m. Feb. 25 at LCC Theatre. Call 9457765.
* FENG SHUI Feng shui expert Clear Englebert discusses his latest book, Feng Shui for Hawaii Gardens, as well as outdoor uses for feng shui at 1:30 p.m. Feb. 26 at Pearl City Library. Copies also will be available for sale with a portion of proceeds benefiting the Friends of Pearl City Library. Call 4536566.
* TRANSIT TALK City Councilman Tom Berg and state Sen. Sam Slom sponsor a meeting on rail transit at 6 p.m. Feb. 28 in Kapolei Hale. Moderator is Panos Prevedouros with speakers Wendell Cox, Adrian Moore, John Charles, Randal O’Toole and Randall Roth. Call 768-5001.
* ROTARY TALK Mayor Peter Carlisle is guest speaker at 7:30 a.m. March 1 at the Kapolei Rotary Club’s breakfast meeting in the faculty lounge at Kapolei High School. Call 722-1489 or email email@example.com.
* CAREER FAIR Campbell High School sponsors a Career Fair from 6 to 8 p.m. March 1 in the cafeteria, bringing together employers, recruiters and trainers for interviews with students. Call Rowena at 687-3006.
* SABERS RECYCLE Campbell High School plans a community recycling drive accepting everything from scrap metal to green waste from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. March 3 at the school. Call 306-1876.
* TAIKO FESTIVAL Pacific Buddhist Academy presents its Sixth Annual Taiko Festival, “Lessons of the Bamboo,” at 2 p.m. March 4 at the Pearl City Cultural Center. The event features performances by students and pianist Ron Miyashiro. Admission is $20 at the door, $15 presale and $12 for seniors. To purchase tickets, visit brownpapertickets.com.
* EARTH DAY Our Savior Lutheran School in Aiea hosts its first Aloha Aina Earth Day from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. March 10 at the school. Various vendors will be present to collect scrap metal, HI-5 beverage containers, newspapers, cardboard, computers, TVs, usable clothing/household items and more. Curbside pick-up also is available. Call 488-0000.
* FAMILY FUN Aiea High School hosts Family Fun Fair to celebrate its 50th anniversary from 4 to 9 p.m. March 30 at the school. For more information, call Nancy at 3827713.
* TAX HELP Volunteers with AARP Foundation Tax-Aide offer free tax preparation for low-to-moderate income households now through April 12 at Waipahu Civic Center, 94275 Mokuola St. Room 102. Hours are 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays. Call 450-2549.
* GOODWILL TAXES Goodwill’s Kapolei store has Volunteer Income Tax Assistance volunteers on duty now through April 7 at 2140 Lauwiliwili St., offering help from 4:30 to 7:30 p.m. Tuesdays and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturdays. Call 436-9948.
* HALAWA LUNCH Halawa Xeriscape Garden offers free Brown Bag tours from noon to 12:45 p.m. each Wednesday, inviting working folks to take their lunch break in the garden and learn conservation tips at the same time. Call 7485363.
* ZUMBA Waipahu United Church of Christ hosts Zumba Gold classes for active seniors and beginners at 8:30 and 9:30 a.m. Saturdays (except Feb. 11) at 94-330 Mokuloa St. in Waipahu. For fees and details, call 619-471-7045.