West Oahu Highlights
Below are highlights of what’ s happening in West Oahu. Fax items to 585- 6324 or email firstname.lastname@example.org one week ahead of the Wednesday publication date.
• GOLF TOURNEY Aug. 20 is the deadline to register for the Honolulu Council of the Navy League’s Aug. 31 golf tournament. Fee is $150 per player, or $450 for a team of three. Check-in begins at 10:30 a.m., with a shotgun start at 12:30 p.m. Call 422-9404 or email NavyLeague@hawaii.rr.co m.
• NEIGHBORS Makakilo-Kapolei-Honokai Hale Neighborhood Board meets at 7 p.m. Aug. 22 at Kapolei High cafeteria, Waipahu at 7p.m.Aug.23atthe Fil-Com Center, and Pearl City at 7 p.m. Aug. 28 at Waiau District Park. Call 768-3710.
• BUSINESS An SBA Resource Day is planned from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Aug. 22 at Bank of Hawaii Kapolei, sponsored by the U.S. Small Business Adminstration for small-business owners. Call 541- 2990, ext. 211.
• SAFE CAR SEATS Kaiser’s Waipio Clinic conducts free child seat and booster seat inspections from 3:30 to 6 p.m. Aug. 24 at 94-1480 Moaniani St. Call 432-2260.
• KUNIA MUSIC 3rd Cup Cafe & Venue presents Open Mic Night at 7:30 p.m. Aug. 24 and Tony Kato and Ken Leong jazz music at 7:30 p.m. Aug. 31 on the second floor of the Times building in Royal Kunia. Call 888-6087.
• GABBARD HOUR State Sen. Mike Gabbard hosts a “Listen Story” hour at 9a.m.Aug.25 at the Kapolei Starbucks, next to Chevron. Call 586-6830.
• AIEA HIKE The Hawaiian Trail & Mountain Club leads a 5-mile inter- mediate hike at 8 a.m. Aug. 25 to Kalauao and the Aiea Loop Trail. Visit htmclub.org.
• LIBRARY PARTY Kapolei Library marks its eighth year with a party from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Aug. 25, featuring a book sale, music by the Gleemen Plus of Honolulu, keiki crafts and more. Call 693- 7050.
• KUNIA LIVE Kunia Shopping Center presents its “Kunia Live” singing contest from 3 to 5 p.m. Aug. 25 (for ages 6 to adult) in the Bank of Hawaii parking lot. This is the last chance to qualify for the October grand finale. Register by Aug. 24 at shopkunia.com.
• STARGAZING Hawaii Astronomical Society brings its telescopes to Geiger Community Park from 6:30 to 10 p.m. Aug. 25 for a night of stargazing. Email email@example.com.
• AIEA BON Aiea Hongwanji Mission has bon dancing at 7 p.m. Aug. 25 at 99-186 Puakala St. Call 488-5685 or 487- 2626.
• FORECLOSURES Coldwell Banker Pacific Properties hosts a free seminar on “Keeping your Home and Avoiding Fore- closure” at 10 a.m. Aug. 25 at its Kunia office, 94- 673 Kupuohi St. #C-205. Reservations are required at 947-8101.
• ROTARY TALK Florence Nakakuni, U.S. Attorney for Hawaii, is guest speaker at Kapolei Rotary Club’s 7:30 a.m. breakfast meeting Aug. 30 in the faculty lounge at Kapolei High School. Call 722-1489 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• BLOOD DRIVES Hawaii Blood Bank has donor drives from 7:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Aug. 30 at Kapolei High School Room J-207 and from 7 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Sept. 1 at Pearlridge Downtown in the Sears parking lot. Call 848-4770.
• PARENTING The Parent Project offers a series of evening classes (6 to 8:30 p.m.) from Sept. 4 to Nov. 6 at the Salvation Army KROC Center in Kapolei. Fee is $25. Call 256-5933.
• GET READY The free Ewa Beach Emergency Preparedness Fair runs from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sept. 8 at Ewa Makai Middle School. Vendors and potential sponsors may call 682-0111 or email email@example.com om.
• AUGIE SHOW Augie’s Comedy Crusade is booked from 7 to 9 p.m. Sept. 15 at Pearl City Cultural Center featuring Augie T and Andy Bumatai, with music by One Night Stand. Proceeds support the Pearl City High School band. Admission is $10. Call Jeff at 927-0660.