West Oahu Highlights
Below are highlights West Oahu events. Fax items to 585-6324 or email firstname.lastname@example.org one week ahead of the Wednesday publication date.
* NEIGHBORS Pearl City Neighborhood Board meets at 7 p.m. July 24 at Waiau District Park, Makakilo-Kapolei-Honokai Hale meets at 7 p.m. July 25 at Kapolei High cafeteria, and Waipahu at 7 p.m. July 26 at FilCom Center. Call 768-3710.
* KUNIA MUSIC 3rd Cup Cafe & Venue presents Open Mic Night at 7:30 p.m. July 27 and Slam Poetry at 8 p.m. July 28 on the second floor of the Times building in Royal Kunia. Call 888-6087.
* FRINGE FUNDS Pearl City High’s drama department presents shows at 7 p.m. July 27-28 at Pearl City Cultural Center to help pay for its 26-student troupe to attend the Fringe Festival in Scotland next year. Admission is $10 plus a $10 donation. Call 429-7647 or email email@example.com.
* AIEA RECYCLES Aiea Community Center has a Go Green recycling drive from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. July 28 at Alvah Scott Elementary School, 98-1230 Moanalua Road. All kinds of items are welcome. Call 554-6296 or 291-6151.
* OPEN HOUSE Graham Builders hosts a builder’s open house from 1 to 4 p.m. July 28 at 1697 Hoolaulea St. in Pearl City. (The custom design-and-build, multigenerational home is not for sale.) Call 593-2808.
* CONVOY OF HOPE The annual islandwide Convoy of Hope has a distribution site starting at 10 a.m. July 28 at Kapolei fairgrounds (near Walmart) to help needy families with food, haircuts, health and dental screenings, school supplies, entertainment and resource information. Volunteers and donations also are welcome. Call 836-4479.
* STARGAZING Hawaii Astronomical Society brings its telescopes to Geiger Community Park from 6 to 10 p.m. July 28 for stargazing in Ewa Beach. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* NATIVE PLANTS Malama Learning Center has a workshop on growing native plants from 9 a.m. to noon July 28 in the shadehouse at LCC. Fee is $10 per person or $25 for a family of up to three people. Call 542-9107.
* TALENT SHOW Center of Deliverance Christian Church hosts the talent show “Youth Explosion 2012!” from 4 to 6 p.m. July 29 at 94-295 Pupuole St., featuring Christian rap, spoken word, music, dance, poems and more. Donations of school supplies and clothing also are welcome. Call 733-5190.
* B-BOY JAM Shadow Wars and Red Bull present a free B-Boy Jam from noon to 2 p.m July 29 at Kunia Walmart. Call 931-9209.
* SWAP MEET, CARS Pacific Palisades Community Rec Center has a Family Fun Day, Swap Meet and Car Cruz from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. July 29 with vendors, food, classic cars, crafts and more. The center is at 2106 Aamanu St. in Pearl City. Call 455-5182 or email email@example.com.
* TRANSIT TALK City Councilman Breene Harimoto hosts “Let’s Talk Transit” from 7 to 8:30 p.m. July 31 at Waiau District Park. Call 768-5064.
* CHOLESTEROL A Kaiser Permanente registered dietitian leads a free public Senior Summit lecture at 9 a.m. Aug. 1 at the Leeward YMCA on “The Way to your Heart is Thru your Stomach.” Call 671-6495.
* BLOOD DRIVES Hawaii Blood Bank has drives from 7:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Aug. 1 at the Kakuhihewa Bldg., 601 Kamokila Blvd.; 7:45-10:45 a.m. Aug. 3 at Hale Kalanianaole Bldg., 91-5420 Kapolei Parkway; 7 a.m.-12:45 p.m. Aug. 4 at the Makakilo Hawaii Stake center. Call 848-4770.
* MAOLI MARKET Hawaii Maoli hosts an open market from 3 to 7 p.m. Aug. 3 at 91-1270 Kinoiki St. near Kapolei Hawaiian Home Lands building. Food, health services and vendors are planned, plus a movie at 7:30. Call 780-6082.