West Oahu Highlights
Below are highlights of what’s coming up in West Oahu. Fax items to 585-6324 or email email@example.com one week ahead of the Wednesday publication date.
* KAISER ZUMBA Kaiser Permanente has Zumba classes at 5:30 p.m. July 2-Aug. 20 at its Waipio Clinic, 94-1480 Moaniani St. Call 432-2260.
* BALLROOM Kapolei’s Ballroom Dance chapter registers students July 2, 9 and 16 at Kapolei Elementary cafeteria for classes in nightclub two-step, waltz and mambo. Classes start July 2, and meet for eight Monday nights. For details, call 781-2076.
* JUNGLE TALES Brazilian storyteller Antonio Rocha shares “Jungle Tales” at 1 p.m. July 3 at Aiea Library. Call 483-7333.
* PIGEONS Doug Beter discusses his Rainbow pigeons at 1 p.m. July 3 in a free program at Pearl City Library and then releases them into the sky to fly home. Call 453-6566.
* BALLROOM Pearl-ridge’s Ballroom Dance chapter registers students at 7 p.m. July 3 and 10 at Waimalu Elementary for classes in merengue, tango and salsa. Classes meet at 7 p.m. Tuesdays for eight weeks at the school beginning July 3. Call 488-3935.
* BALLROOM Pearl City’s Ballroom Dance chapter registers students from 7 to 8 p.m. July 3 and 10 at Manana Elementary cafeteria for merengue, tango and salsa classes, which meet at 7 p.m. Tuesdays for eight weeks at the school beginning July 3. Call 456-2129.
* MAOLI MARKET Hawaii Maoli offers an open market from 3 to 7 p.m. July 6 and 20 at 91-1270 Kinoiki St. near the Kapolei Hawaiian Home Lands building. Food, health services and community booths are planned. Call 780-6082 or 394-0050.
* KUNIA MUSIC 3rd Cup Cafe & Venue presents Richard Hata and his house/lounge music at 7:30 p.m. July 6, and hosts a Beloved Boutique clothes and accessories fair from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. July 7, followed by Louis Maytorena’s Retroeklectik art show opening from 5 to 7 p.m. on the second floor of the Times building in Royal Kunia. Call 888-6087.
* GARDEN BUGS Halawa Xeriscape Garden sponsors a garden workshop on “Good Bug vs. Bad Bug” from 10:30 a.m. to noon July 7 at 99-1268 Iwaena St. Fee is $5 per family and registration is under way. Call 748-5363.
* HIGHLAND COLTS The Highland Colts Football and Cheer Association registers players and cheerleaders for the Pop Warner season from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. July 7 at Manana Community Park, 1310 Waimano Home Road. Call 723-8625.
* ORGANIZED Simply Organized has “Help for the Hard-to-Organize” at 1 p.m. July 7 at its Kapolei store. Call 529-5801.
* BLOOD DRIVES Hawaii Blood Bank has donor drives from 7 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. July 7 at Pearlridge Center (Downtown parking lot) and 6:30 a.m.-3 p.m. July 9 at the Pearl City Police Station squad room. Call 848-4770.
* ZUMBA GOLD Pearlridge Center hosts a free Zumba Gold class at 8 a.m. July 7, 14, 21 and 28 at Uptown near the Borders space. Call 488-0981.
* COFFEE HOURS State Sen. Clarence Nishihara hosts coffee hours July 7 at 8 a.m. at the Waimano Home Road McDonald’s and 9 a.m. at the Walmart Pearl City McDonald’s; and July 14 at 8 a.m. at the Waipahu Don Quijote. Call 728-1008.
* ROLLER DERBY Aloha City Rollers conducts an informational recruitment meeting from 5 to 9 p.m. July 7 at the ReMax Hawaii office in Kapolei. The league also plans a boot camp for qualified new skaters beginning July 11. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* PAU HANA Kapolei Middle School is the venue for Pau Hana with Congressman Ed Case from 6 to 7:30 p.m. July 9. Call 389-5081.
* SKIN CARE Kaiser Permanente’s Waipio Clinic presents a free Senior Summit lecture on Basic Skin Care with licensed aesthetician Dawnelle Sunada at 10 a.m. July 9 at 94-1480 Moaniani St. Call 432-2235.
* NEIGHBORS Aiea Neighborhood Board meets at 7 p.m. July 9 at Aiea Library, and Ewa meets at 7 p.m. July 12 at Ewa Beach Library. Call 768-3710.
* KIEWIT HEARING The city Planning Commission has a public hearing at 1:30 p.m. July 11 in the Mission Memorial conference room on a request from Kiewit Infrastructure West Co. to allow a temporary construction and maintenance yard (for rail transit) on AG-1 land near Farrington Highway and Pipeline Road in Ewa. Call 768-8007.
* LEARNING LUNCH Salvation Army presents a free seminar on vital legal issues at 10:30 a.m. July 11 at Kroc Center in Kapolei. Guest speakers are attorney Randall Yee and legacy gift planner Ellen Kazama. The program includes lunch and a tour of the center. Call 440-1865 by July 6.
* TECH TALK Hawaii Technology Academy, a K-12 “blended” charter school, hosts a meet-and-greet at 2 p.m. July 12 at its learning center, 94-810 Moloalo St. in Waipahu for interested families. Call 676-5444.
* CHARITY GOLF The Joshua Neves Children’s Foundation sponsors its second annual Charity Golf Tournament at noon July 13 at Hawaii Prince Golf Club. Fee is $145 per person or $435 for three-player team, and proceeds support bereavement programs for Hawaii families who have lost a child. Max and Erica Neves’ 3-year-old son Joshua died suddenly of swine flu in 2009. Register at nevesfoundation.org or call 292-2304.
* HEALING Grand-master Hong Liu presents a free program on natural healing of respiratory illnesses at 12:30 p.m. July 18 at Aiea Elementary cafeteria, including herbal patches, exercise and nutrition tips. Call 533-1333.
* SCHOOL DRIVES State Rep. Henry Aquino sponsors his second annual school supply drive from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. July 21 at Waipahu Town Center by longs, to collect items for August Ahrens and Waipahu elementary school students. For specific items needed, call 586-6520.
* BRITISH SOCCER A British Coaches Youth Soccer Camp runs July 23-27 at Waiau Recreation Field. Call 800-878-2167, ext. 239 or go to challengersports.com.
* SCHOLAR GOLF Hawaii Lodging & Tourism Association has a scholarship golf tourney at 11:30 a.m. July 26 at Pearl Country Club. Registration deadline is July 13. Call 923-0407.