West Oahu Highlights
Below are highlights of what’s coming up in West Oahu. Fax items to 585-6324 or email firstname.lastname@example.org one week ahead of the Wednesday publication date.
* BLOOD TALK Kaiser Permanente presents a free Senior Summit lecture on “Blood Pressure and You” at 10 a.m. May 14 at its Waipio Clinic, 94-1480 Moaniani St. All ages are welcome. Call 432-2235 to register.
* WINE & FOOD Hawaii Wine & Food at Ko Olina is May 17-19 at Ko Olina Resort, with a preview party at 5 p.m. May 17 at Azul Restaurant, Grand Tasting at 6 p.m. May 18 at Paradise Cove and Grand Finale and Fashion Show at 6 p.m. May 19 at Paradise Cove. Proceeds go to the Kapolei Foundation for local scholarships. Go to hawaiiwineandfood.com.
* KUNIA MUSIC 3rd Cup Cafe & Venue hosts Tony Kato and Ken Leong from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. May 18, and Slam Poetry from 8 to 10 p.m. May 19 on the second floor of the Times building in Royal Kunia. Also, “Magic Surfing” photos by Zachary Ramos are on view throughout May. Call 888-6087.
* BLOOD DRIVES Hawaii Blood Bank has donor drives from 7:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. May 18 at the state Kakuhihewa Building, 601 Kamokila Blvd. in Kapolei, from 7:15 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at Our Lady of Perpetual Help, 91-1004 North Road in Ewa Beach, from 7:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. May 27 at Waikele Shopping Center (by Leonard’s Malassadas), and from 6:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. May 28 at Ewa Beach Elementary School. Call 848-4770.
* TSUNAMI PREP Gerard Fryer of the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center and Hawaiian navigation expert Manny Mattos present “Tsunami Preparedness” at 10:30 a.m. May 19 at Kapolei Library. Call 693-7050.
* WAIPAHU ’02 The Waipahu Class of 2002 plans a 10-year reunion from 6 to 10 p.m. July 7 at the Hale Koa Luau Garden. RSVPs are due by May 20 to email@example.com.
* NEIGHBORS Pearl City Neighborhood Board meets at 7 p.m. May 22 at Waiau District Park, Makakilo-Kapolei-Honokai Hale meets at 7 p.m. May 23 at Kapolei High cafeteria, and Waipahu meets at 7 p.m. May 24 at the FilCom Center. Call 768-3710.
* ROTARY TALK U.S. Rep. Colleen Hanabusa discusses her legislative priorities at Kapolei Rotary Club’s 7:30 a.m. breakfast meeting May 24 in the faculty lounge at Kapolei High School. Call 722-1489 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* BENEFIT GOLF The Close Construction Charity Foundation sponsors its third annual “Close Open” golf tourney May 25 at Pearl Country Club, to benefit the Pearl City High athletic department. Call Mark Pao at 375-3636.
* CAR SEATS Kaiser Permanente offers free child car seat and booster seat inspections from 3:30 to 6 p.m. May 25 at its Waipio clinic, 94-1480 Moaniani St. Call 432-2260.
* PARENT SKILLS Malama Learning Center conducts a Without Walls workshop on all-natural parenting from 9 a.m. to noon May 26 at Ilima at Leihano in Kapolei. For fees and details, go to malamalearningcenter.org
* WATER ART The Board of Water Supply displays winning entries in its Water Conservation Week Poster and Poetry Contest from May 30 to June 14 in the Kapolei Hale courtyard. Call 748-5041.
* FOOTBALL CAMP The third annual All-Poly Football Camp runs from June 20 to 23 at Kaiser High School, where more than 20 collegiate coaches will train and observe local youths. The camp includes a Nike combine June 20 and is run by Brian and Ottilia Te’o of Laie, parents of Notre Dame football star Manti Te’o. Go to allpolysports.com.
* SENIOR EXERCISE Hideo Kimura conducts free wellness education classes for seniors and others from noon to 2 p.m. Mondays and Fridays and from 10 a.m. to noon Wednesdays at Crestview Park building in Waipio Gentry, covering Ki energy and development, self-improvement and aikido warm-up exercises. Call 671-4838 or 671-1422.
* PET FOOD DRIVE The Kapolei and Pearl City PETCO stores accept unopened, unexpired dry pet food daily for the Hawaiian Humane Society to help owners better afford to feed their dogs and cats. Call 356-2217.
* SOFTBALL Ewa Beach Kolohe Girls Fast-pitch Softball is conducting registration for its 12U and 14U teams until all team rosters are filled. The league also is looking for a head coach and assistant coaches for the 14U teams. Call Joe at 216-6214 to register or for updated information.
* ZUMBA Waipahu United Church of Christ hosts Saturday classes in Zumba Gold for active seniors from 8:30 to 9:15 a.m., and Zumba for beginners from 9:30 to 10:30 a.m. Fee is $5. Bring towel and water. The church is at 94-330 Mokuola St. and has an unsupervised child space for parents. Call Yukie Alvarez at 619-471-7045.
* FLAG FOOTBALL The 808 Ohana Flag Football league is registering players age 4 to 17 for the upcoming season in West Oahu – from Kapolei to Aiea. Coaches and teams also needed. Call Richard at 590-1710 or email Mark at email@example.com for updated information.
* TOASTMASTERS Pearl City Toastmasters meet at 7 p.m. the first and third Tuesday in the Mokihana Room of Pearlridge Gardens & Tower, 98-1042 Moanalua Road. Call 780-2066.
* HALAWA LUNCH Halawa Xeriscape Garden has free Brown Bag tours from noon to 12:45 p.m. Wednesdays, inviting workers to take a lunch break in the garden. Call 748-5363.
* CHORALE New singers are invited to join the Kapolei Chorale at its rehearsals, held at 6:30 p.m. each Sunday in Makakilo. For directions and an interview, call 672-8888.