West Oahu Highlights
Send West Oahu items to email@example.com by Aug. 27 to be considered for the Sept. 3 edition.
* ROTARY TALK UH president David Lassner is guest speaker at Kapolei Rotary Club’s 7:30 a.m. Aug. 28 breakfast meeting in the faculty lounge at Kapolei High School. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* KROC ART Salvation Army’s Kroc Center presents “Art Night: I ‘Heart’ HI” from 6 to 8 p.m. Aug. 29, showcasing art by students and local artists, live art and music, free art projects and more. Call 693-8356.
* LABOR DAYAll public libraries are closed Aug. 30-Sept. 1 in observance of Labor Day, although Aiea Library is open Aug. 29.
* BOATING SAFETY U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary conducts a Boating Safety class from 8:15 a.m. to 4:40 p.m. Aug. 30 for experienced recreational boaters at LCC’s Waianae campus to meet new certification requirements. The class is free but training materials cost $45. Others are welcome to sit in. Call 776-6971 or 696-6378.
* AIEA HIKE Hawaiian Trail & Mountain Club leads a 5-mile intermediate hike off of Aiea Loop Trail to Kalauao Stream at 8 a.m. Aug. 30. Visit htmclub.org.
* BLOOD DRIVES Hawaii Blood Bank has donor drives from 7:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Aug. 30 at Kapolei Shopping Center, and 7:45 a.m.-noon Aug. 30 at the East Kapolei fire station. Call 848-4770.
* SOVEREIGNTY “The Sovereignty Conversation” forum series, co-hosted by Makakilo’s Keoni Dudley, airs from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Aug. 30 on ‘Olelo channel 53. Visit thesovereigntyconversation.org.
* YOUTH FOOTBALL KapCity Hurricanes register players for youth flag and tackle football now through Aug. 31 for the fall season (September-November). Area practices are held from 4 to 6:30 p.m. week-days. Call 393-5844 or visit facebook.com/usoathletics.
* WAR RECALLED Battleship Missouri Memorial marks the 69th anniversary of World War II’s end with speeches and a ceremony at 8 a.m. Sept. 2. It’s free to the public, with shuttles running from the Pearl Harbor Visitor Center starting at 7 a.m. Call 455-1600, ext. 246.
* HOMEOWNERS Coldwell Banker Pacific Properties leads a seminar from 1 to 3 p.m. Sept. 6 on “Homeowner: So, you have equity, what next?” at the Kapolei Star-Advertiser Building. RSVP by Sept. 4 to Freda Young at 375-6600.