West Oahu Highlights
Send West Oahu items to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax them to 585-6324 by March 26 to be considered for the April 2 edition.
* FUNERAL COSTS Financial educator Karen Ho discusses “Don’t Get Buried by Funeral Costs” at 10:30 a.m. March 24 at Kapolei Library. Call 693-7050.
* GOLF DEADLINE Deadline is March 24 to register for the Hawaii Culinary Education Foundation golf tournament, set for April 28 at Kapolei Golf Course. The event includes food from top local chefs. Call 941-9088.
* NEIGHBORS Pearl City Neighborhood Board meets at 7 p.m. March 25 at Waiau District Park, and Waipahu meets at 7 p.m. March 27 at FilCom Center. Call 768-3710.
* BALLROOM Pearl-ridge chapter of Hawaii Ballroom Dancing Association registers students for merengue and West Coast swing lessons from 7 to 8 p.m March 25 and April 1 and 8 at Waimalu Elementary School. Tuesday night classes start April 1, with nominal fees. Call 488-3935 or 836-4579.
* SCHOOLS CLOSED Public schools are closed March 26 in observance of Prince Kuhio Day.
* ROBOTICS HELP Shakey’s Pizza Parlor in Waipahu hosts a pizza fundraiser for Hawaii Technology Academy’s robotics team from 6 to 8 p.m. March 27, when 20 percent of sales proceeds will go to the team. Email email@example.com.
* ALADDIN JR. Pas De Deux performance school presents Aladdin Jr. at 8 p.m. March 28, and 5 and 7 p.m. March 29 in its Waipahu studio at 94-404 Ukee St. For tickets, visit showtix4u.com.
* SPRING FEST Boys & Girls Club Hale Pono Clubhouse hosts a Family Fun Day Spring Fest from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. March 29 at the Ewa Beach site, 91-884 Fort Weaver Road, featuring crafts, games, jumpers, prizes, exhibits, plate lunchs, song and kendama contests, plus plenty of entertainment. Call 689-4182.
* GARDENS Halawa Xeriscape Garden presents a workshop on water-efficient spiral and keyhole gardens at 10:30 a.m. March 29 at 99-1268 Iwaena St. Fee is $5 for non-members, and registration begins March 11 until all spaces are filled. Call 748-5363.
* GABBARD HOUR State Sen. Mike Gabbard hosts a Listen Story meeting at 9 a.m. March 29 at Kapolei Starbucks, next to the Chevron station. Call 586-6830.
* NAVIGATION Malama Learning Center sponsors a Celestial Navigation workshop from 9 a.m. to noon March 29 at ‘Ilima at Leihano, 891 Kama’aha Ave. in Kapolei. Fee is $10 per person or $25 for families of up to three people. It’s led by Hokule’a crew member Tai Crouch. Visit malamalearningcenter.org or call 220-4166.
* MARSH HELP Hawaii Nature Center volunteers help restore Pouhala Marsh by Pearl Harbor from 8:30 to 11:30 a.m. March 29. Call Pauline at 955-0100, ext. 118.
* AYSO SIGNUPS Leeward AYSO 269 conducts onsite registration from 5 to 7 p.m. March 29 and April 26 at Kapolei Middle School, 3 to 5 p.m. May 10 at Nanakuli High cafeteria, and online (since March 1) at eayso.org. Fall season starts in August.
* BLOOD DRIVES Hawaii Blood Bank has donor drives from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. March 30 at Ewa Beach Elementary, 7:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. April 5 at Pearlridge Center Downtown and 7 a.m.-1:30 p.m. April 6 at Ewa Beach Elementary. Call 848-4770.
* HOUSING SEMINAR Coldwell Banker Pacific Properties hosts a free seminar at 5:30 p.m. March 30 on “Off-Base Housing: How Military Personnel Buy and Sell in Hawaii” at its office in Kapolei Commons. Call 947-8101.
* BLADDER HEALTH Kaiser Permanente hosts a Senior Summit on bladder health and pelvic exercises at 11:15 a.m. April 2 at Leeward YMCA. Call 671-6495.
* DRUG-FREE WALK Waipahu Elementary students plan a drug-free walk at 8:30 a.m. April 2 through the neighborhood and back to the school. Call 675-0150, ext. 305.
* EMS BRIEFING State Sen. Michelle Kidani conducts a town hall meeting at 7 p.m. April 2 at Kanoelani Elementary School to discuss the new emergency medical services command center and ambulance facility planned for Waipio. HART officials also will update the status of the rail project. Call 586-7100.
* PEST CONTROL Hawaii Department of Agriculture sponsors a class for farmers in Organic Pest Control at 1 p.m. April 4 at Leeward Community College Room CE-303. Fee is $25. To register, call Lynne at 455-0401 or visit ocewd.org/organic-pest-control.
* CANCER RELAY Leeward Oahu’s annual Relay for Life is set for April 4-5 at Kapolei High School athletic field. To join or offer help, call Michelle Hashimoto at 432-9144 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* MUSIC FEST The fourth annual Leeward Music Festival begins at 7 p.m. April 5 at LCC Theatre (prelude at 6:45), featuring 10 local singing and instrumental groups, sponsored by Kapolei Chorale. Special guest is the 75-member Oahu Civic Orchestra. Call 623-4045.
* SIMPLE GARDENS Halawa Xeriscape Garden presents a workshop on “Five Simple Steps to a Beautiful Garden” at 10:30 a.m. April 5 at 99-1268 Iwaena St. Fee is $5 for non-members, and registration runs March 18-April 4 or until all spaces are filled. Call 748-5363.
* FORD ISLAND RUN The annual Ford Island Bridge 10K Run starts at 7 a.m. April 5 and is open to the public. For details and entry requirements, visit active.com or call 473-0784.
* KAPOLEI DANCE The Kapolei chapter of Hawaii Ballroom Dance Association registers students at 7 p.m. April 7, 13 and 20 at Makakilo Community Park for Monday night classes in East Coast swing and rumba. Classes start at 7 p.m April 7 for eight sessions with a nominal fee. Call 781-2076.
* UH GOLF Na Koa hosts its 20th annual Ed Wong Memorial Golf Tournament April 8 at Hawaii Prince Golf Course. Fee is $1,000 for a three-person team, and proceeds benefit the Rainbow Warrior football program. Call 956-4513 or visit nakoa.org.