West Oahu Highlights
Send West Oahu items to email@example.com or fax them to 585-6324 by March 5 to be considered for the March 12 edition.
* BLOOD DRIVES Hawaii Blood Bank has donor drives from 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. March 4 at Leeward Community College bus stop, and 7 a.m.-noon March 8 at the LDS Makakilo Hawaii Stake cultural hall. Call 848-4770.
* LOCAL VOICES Acclaimed island author Lois-Ann Yamanaka discusses her award-winning literary work at 11 a.m. March 5 in a free public series at UH West Oahu Campus Center Room C225. Call 689-2604.
* EATING RIGHT Kaiser Permanente presents free Senior Summit talks with a dietitian on “Enjoy the Taste of Eating Right” at 11:15 a.m. March 5 at Leeward YMCA in Waipahu (671-6495), and at 10 a.m. March 10 at its Waipio Clinic on Moaniani Street (432-2235).
* BOOK CLUB The Aiea Library Book Club discusses Louis Penny’s Still Life from 6:30 to 8 p.m. March 6 at the library. Call 389-3776.
* AIEA ROTARY Pearl-ridge Rotary Club meets weekly at 11:30 a.m. at Pearl Country Club. Guest speaker for March 7 is Lanai Tabura (Great Food Truck Race winner) on “aloha and living together.” Ghost storyteller Lopaka Kapanui addresses the club March 21. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* WAIMANO HIKE Hawaiian Trail & Mountain Club leads a 3-mile novice hike to Waimano Pool at 8 a.m. March 8. Visit htm-club.org.
* COMPOST Halawa Xeriscape Garden has a hands-on workshop on bokashi composting at 10:30 a.m. March 8 at 99-1268 Iwaena St. Fee is $10, and registration closes March 7. Call 748-5363.
* HO’OLAULEA Prince Kuhio Community Center marks its second year during a free ho’olaulea from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. March 8, featuring makahiki games, an imu and luau food workshop, hula, vendors and crafts in the Department of Hawaiian Home Lands parking lot, 91-1270 Kinoiki St. Call 291-0842 or 542-3886.
* COFFEE TALK State Sen. Clarence Nishihara has a coffee hour from 9 to 10 a.m. March 8 at Waipahu Don Quijote. Call 728-1008.
* PLANT SALE Pearl City’s Urban Garden Center has a plant sale from 9 a.m. to noon March 8, featuring multi-grafted fruit trees, roses, ornamental shrubs, herbs and palms. Garden tours and agricultural displays also are planned. Call 453-6050.
* NEIGHBORS Aiea Neighborhood Board meets at 7:30 p.m. March 10 in the Aiea Library conference room, and the Ewa board meets at 7 p.m. March 13 at Ewa Beach Library. Call 768-3710.
* AGENT TRAINING Coldwell Banker Pacific Properties conducts an accelerated, two-week program of new agent training from 8:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. March 10-21 at its office in Kapolei Commons. Call 748-3410.
* CONCERT Chamber Music Hawaii presents the Galliard String Quartet & Friends concert at 7 p.m. March 11 in the UH West Oahu library, featuring the music of Johannes Brahms and Franz Schubert. For tickets, call 489-5038. (Students are admitted free of charge.)
* BUG TRAPS The Board of Water Supply and Halawa Xeriscape Garden team up to provide out-of-the-box solutions to yard maintenance with chemical-free insect and pest traps in a workshop from 10:30 a.m. to noon March 15 at the garden. Topics include pest management techniques, companion plants and more. Advanced registration is required by 2 p.m. March 14. Fee is $5 for non-members. Call 748-5363.
* SOCCER CAMP The “I Got Skills” spring break soccer camp is set for from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. March 17-21 at Central Oahu Regional Park for boys and girls ages 6 to 14. Visit igotskills.com.
* ROTARY TALK U.S. Rep. Colleen Hanabusa addresses Kapolei Rotary Club’s 7:30 a.m. meeting March 20 in the faculty lounge at Kapolei High. Email email@example.com.
* IMMIGRATION FilCom Center hosts a U.S. Immigration community outreach program from 9 to 10 a.m. each Saturday through March 8 at 94-428 Mokuola St. Call 680-0451.
* TAX HELP Leeward Community College’s Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program offers live as well as online assistance to qualified low-income individuals and families. Online service is at myfreetaxes.com. Live help is on hand at LCC from 1:30 to 5:30 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays now through March 21, or 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturdays through March 29. Call 455-0524.
* ALZHEIMER HELP An Alzheimer’s support group meets at 7 p.m. on the third Monday of each month at St. Timothy’s Episcopal Church in Aiea. Call 591-2771.
* FLEA MARKET Hawaii Self Storage conducts a flea market/swap meet from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. every Friday and Saturday at 2009 Lauwiliwili St. in Kapolei with new items daily and plenty of vendors. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* HULA WAIPAHU No Kealoha O Hula halau offers adult beginner classes at 6 p.m. and intermediate classes at 7 p.m. Wednesdays in Village Park. Fee is $25 plus a refundable $25 deposit. Call Desiree Numango at 478-0404.
* ADOPTING PETS Hawaii Dog Foundation sponsors pet adoptions from noon to 2 p.m. every Sunday at Petco Pearl City. Call 782-8387.
* HABITAT HELP Habitat for Humanity Leeward Oahu seeks volunteers for self-built housing in Kapolei, Ewa Beach and Waianae. Call 696-7882.