West Oahu Highlights
Send West Oahu items to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax them to 585-6324 by Feb. 26 to be considered for the March 5 edition.
* BLOOD DRIVES Hawaii Blood Bank has donor drives from 7:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. March 1 at Pearlridge Center Downtown, 7 a.m.-noon March 2 at Ewa Beach Elementary School, 8:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m. March 4 at Leeward Community College bus stop, and 7 a.m. to noon March 8 at the LDS Makakilo Hawaii Stake cultural hall. Call 848-4770.
* FARM TALK Local farmers discuss their experiences with the public during Leeward Community College’s free “AgCurious” program from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. Feb. 25 in Room 105 of GT building. The event is part of the school’s GoFarm@LCC training program. RSVP to 455-0401.
* E-LEARNING Kapolei Library hosts a free class on e-learning at 6:30 p.m. Feb. 25 for all library card carriers. Call 693-7050.
* NEIGHBORS Pearl City Neighborhood Board meets at 7 p.m. Feb. 25 at Waiau District Park, Makakilo-Kapolei-Honokai Hale at 7 p.m. Feb. 26 in Kapolei High cafeteria, Waipahu at 7 p.m. Feb. 27 at FilCom Center, and Aiea at 7:30 p.m. March 10 in the Aiea Library conference room. Call 768-3710.
* AIEA ROTARY Pearlridge Rotary Club meets weekly at 11:30 a.m. at Pearl Country Club. Guest speaker for Feb. 28 is Cindy Chang on vocational tours; March 7 is Lanai Tabura (Great Food Truck Race winner) on “aloha and living together.” Email email@example.com.
* CLUTTER Simply Organized sponsors a free workshop, Freedom, on organizing kitchen space at 1 p.m. March 1 in its Kapolei store on Kamokila Boulevard. Call 693-8888.
* COFFEE TALK Sen. Clarence Nishihara hosts a coffee hour from 9 to 10 a.m. March 1 at Walmart McDonald’s in Pearl City. A second coffee hour is scheduled from 9 to 10 a.m. March 8 at Waipahu Don Quijote. Call 728-1008.
* AIEA HIKE Hawaiian Trail & Mountain Club leads a 9.3-mile advanced ridge hike in Aiea at 8 a.m. March 2, and a 3-mile novice hike to Waimano Pool at 8 a.m. March 8. Visit htmclub.org.
* HONGWANJI FEST Hongwanji temples from Aiea, Ewa, Pearl City, Mililani, Waianae, Waialua, Wahiawa, Waianae and Waipahu gather from 8:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Waipahu Hongwanji to host Oahu Sangha Day. Scheduled events include a service, mochi pounding, demonstration, plantation-style games and more.
* EATING RIGHT Kaiser Permanente presents free Senior Summit talks with a dietitian on “Enjoy the Taste of Eating Right” at 11:15 a.m. March 5 at Leeward YMCA in Waipahu (671-6495), and at 10 a.m. March 10 at its Waipio Clinic on Moaniani Street (432-2235).
* BOOK CLUB The Aiea Library Book Club discusses Louis Penny’s Still Life from 6:30 to 8 p.m. March 6 at the library. Call 389-3776.
* COMPOST Halawa Xeriscape Garden offers a hands-on workshop on bokashi composting at 10:30 a.m. March 8 at 99-1268 Iwaena St. Fee is $10, and registration closes March 7. Call 748-5363.
* PLANT SALE The Urban Garden Center in Pearl City hosts a plant sale from 9 a.m. to noon March 8. Plants for sale will include multi-grafted fruit trees, roses, ornamental shrubs, herbs and palms. Garden tours and agricultural displays also will take place throughout the morning. Call 453-6050.
* TAIKO FEST Pacific Buddhist Academy presents its eighth annual Taiko Festival, Secrets of the Golden Dragon, at 4 p.m March 8 at Leeward Community College Theatre. Tickets cost $25 and $20, or $35 at the door. Call 532-2649.
* PLANT CARE The Board of Water Supply and Halawa Xeriscape Garden team up to provide out-of-the-box solutions to maintaining your yard without using chemicals. The workshop runs from 10:30 a.m. to noon at Halawa Xeriscape Garden and will feature pest management techniques, companion plants and more. Advanced registration is required by 2 p.m. March 14. Call 748-5363 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Fee is $5 for non-members.
* SOCCER CAMP The “I Got Skills” spring break soccer camp is set for from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. March 17-21 at Central Oahu Regional Park for boys and girls ages 6 to 14 years old. Visit igot-skills.com.
* ROTARY TALK U.S. Rep. Colleen Hanabusa is guest speaker at Kapolei Rotary Club’s 7:30 a.m. meeting March 20 in the faculty lounge at Kapolei High. Email email@example.com.
* IMMIGRATION FilCom Center hosts a U.S. Immigration community outreach program from 9 to 10 a.m. each Saturday through March 8 at 94-428 Mokuola St. Call 680-0451.
* TAX HELP Leeward Community College’s Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program offers live as well as online assistance to qualified low-income individuals and families. Online service is at myfreetaxes.com. Live help is on hand at LCC from 1:30 to 5:30 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays now through March 21, or 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturdays through March 29. Call 455-0524.
* ALZHEIMER HELP An Alzheimer’s support group meets at 7 p.m. on the third Monday of each month at St. Timothy’s Episcopal Church in Aiea. Call 591-2771.
* FLEA MARKET Hawaii Self Storage conducts a flea market/swap meet from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. every Friday and Saturday at 2009 Lauwiliwili St. in Kapolei with new items daily and plenty of vendors. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* HULA WAIPAHU No Kealoha O Hula halau offers adult beginner classes at 6 p.m. and intermediate classes at 7 p.m. Wednesdays in Village Park. Fee is $25 plus a refundable $25 deposit. Call instructor Desiree Numango at 478-0404.
* ADOPTING PETS Hawaii Dog Foundation sponsors pet adoptions from noon to 2 p.m. every Sunday at Petco Pearl City. Call 782-8387.
* HABITAT HELP Habitat for Humanity Leeward Oahu seeks volunteers to help with its mission of self-built housing for low-income families in Kapolei, Ewa Beach and Waianae. Call Toni Anduha at 696-7882.
* SPRING FOOTBALL Hawaii Islanders seeks players 8 to 14 years old for 2014 Spring Tackle Football for boys, as well as coaches and team moms, for the Pearl City, Aiea and Moanalua areas. Call or text 352-5294.