West Oahu Highlights
Send West Oahu items to email@example.com or fax them to 585-6324 by Feb. 5 to be considered for the Feb. 12 edition.
• BLOOD DRIVES Ha-waii Blood Bank has donor drives from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Feb. 4 at Aiea High School library, 8 a.m.-2 p.m. Feb. 6 at Pearl City High multipurpose room, 8:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. Feb. 6 at Tony Group Autoplex, 7:30 a.m.-1:15 p.m. Feb. 8 at Pearlridge Center, 7 a.m.-1:30 p.m. Feb. 9 at Waikele Center, 12:30-3:30 p.m. Feb. 12 at Oahu Transit Services on Waimano Home Road, 7:30-10:30 a.m. Feb. 12 at Hawaii Independent Energy in Kapolei, and 7:30 a.m.-2 p.m. Feb. 13 at Pali Momi Medical Center in Aiea. Call 848-4770.
• ROTARY TALKS Su-san Murray, executive-in-charge of Queen’s Medical Center West, is guest speaker at Kapolei Rotary Club’s 7:30 a.m. meeting Feb. 6 in the faculty lounge at Kapolei High. U.S. Sen. Brian Schatz addresses the club at 7:30 a.m. Feb. 16, and U.S. Rep. Colleen Hanabusa speaks at 7:30 a.m. March 20. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• AIEA ROTARY Pearl-ridge Rotary Club meets at 11:30 a.m. Feb. 7 at Pearl Country Club to hear from guest speaker Jason Higa, president and CEO of FCH (Zippy’s). For details, email email@example.com.
• BAREFOOT DIVAS Leeward Community College Theatre presents Barefoot Divas, six indigenous female performers from across Oceania, at 8 p.m. Feb. 7 on the main stage. Call 455-0380.
• GREEN CAREERS Deadline is Feb. 7 to register for Hawaii Green Collar Institute’s spring intersession, set for March 17-21 and sponsored by Malama Learning Center at Kapolei High School. Emphasis will be on ocean conservation and careers for grades 10-12. Fee is $20. Call 692-8200, ext. 2267.
• GIFT BAGS Eco-crafter Evelyn Nakamura shares how to make gift bags from old calendar pages at 1 p.m. Feb. 8 at Aiea Library.
Register for the free class at 483-7333.
• LIONS’ EATS Pearl City Lions Club hosts its annual benefit breakfast from 6:30 to 10:30 a.m. Feb. 8 at Pearl City High cafeteria, along with a country store, baked goods, crafts, orchids and plants for sale. Used eyeglasses also are welcome. Proceeds support community service projects. Tickets cost $6. Call 487-6567.
• LCC PLAY Leeward Community College Theatre presents the final showing of Yes I Am: Leeward Edition at 8 p.m. Feb. 8. Tickets cost $10. For details, visit playbuilders.org.
• RECYCLING Ameri-can Renaissance Academy conducts an Aloha Aina recycling drive from 9 a.m. to noon Feb. 8, sponsored by Kokua Hawaii Foundation, Schnitzer Steel and other recyclers. Call 682-7337.
• CLUTTER Simply Organized presents a free workshop on “Downsizing and Decluttering” at 1 p.m. Feb. 8 and a FreedomRail workshop at 1 p.m. Feb. 22, both in its Kapolei store on Kamokila Boulevard. Call 693-8888.
• LION DANCE Aloha Stadium Swap Meet & Marketplace hosts a Chinese New Year celebration at 8 a.m. Feb. 9 with a lion dance, starting in the North Plaza. Call 486-6704.
• NEIGHBORS Aiea Neighborhood Board meets at 7:30 p.m. Feb. 10 at Aiea Library (pending library closure), Ewa at 7 p.m. Feb. 13 at Ewa Beach Library, Pearl City at 7 p.m. Feb. 25 at Waiau District Park, Makakilo-Kapolei-Honokai Hale at 7 p.m. Feb. 26 at Kapolei High cafeteria, and Waipahu at 7 p.m. Feb. 27 at FilCom Center. Call 768-3710.
• NISHIHARA TALK State Sen. Clarence Nishi-hara, D-District 17 (Wai-pahu-Pearl City), hosts a monthly coffee hour at 9 a.m. Feb. 15 at the Waipahu Don Quijote. Call 728-1008.
• COMPOST Halawa Xeriscape Garden and its Friends group present “Soil Wealth: Composting Creates Rich Soil” at 10:30 a.m.
Feb. 15 at 99-1268 Iwaena St. Fee is $5 for nonmembers, and registration closes Feb. 14, or when all spaces are filled. Call 748-5363.
• ALZHEIMER HELP
An Alzheimer’s support group meets at 7 p.m. on the third Monday of each month at St. Timothy’s Episcopal Church in Aiea. Call 591-2771.
• FLEA MARKET Ha-waii Self Storage conducts a flea market/swap meet from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. every Friday and Saturday at 2009 Lauwiliwili St. in Kapolei with new items daily and plenty of vendors. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• HULA WAIPAHU No Kealoha O Hula halau offers adult beginner classes at 6 p.m. and intermediate classes at 7 p.m. Wednesdays in Village Park. Fee is $25 plus a refundable $25 deposit. Call instructor Desiree Numango at 478-0404.
• ADOPTING PETS
Hawaii Dog Foundation sponsors pet adoptions from noon to 2 p.m. every Sunday at Petco Pearl City. Call 782-8387.
• ‘WAR’S END’ Kapolei High students partner with Kapolei Library to present “Images at War’s End” now through Feb. 22 at the library, featuring photos and memorabilia from the USS Missouri. Call 693-7050.
• HABITAT HELP Habitat for Humanity Leeward Oahu seeks help with its mission of self-built housing for low-income families in Kapolei, Ewa Beach and Waianae. Call 696-7882.
• SPRING FOOTBALL
Hawaii Islanders seeks players 8 to 14 years old for 2014 Spring Tackle Football for boys, as well as coaches and team parents, for the Pearl City, Aiea and Moanalua. Call 352-5294.
• WELLNESS Shizendo ki method founder Hideo Kimura leads Ki Wellness classes at 6 p.m. Mondays and Fridays, and Aikido for Seniors at 7:30 p.m. Mondays and Fridays at Aiea Soto Mission. Free trials are allowed. The mission is located at 99-045 Kauhale St. Call 671-1422.