West Oahu Highlights
Send West Oahu items to email@example.com or fax them to 585-6324 by Jan. 15 to be considered for the Jan. 22 edition.
* NEIGHBORS Aiea Neighborhood Board meets at 7:30 p.m. Jan. 13 at Aiea Library, Makakilo-Kapolei-Honokai Hale meets at 7 p.m. Jan. 22 at Kapolei High cafeteria, and Waipahu meets at 7 p.m. Jan. 23 at the FilCom Center. Call 768-3710.
* KAPOLEI DANCE The Kapolei chapter of Hawaii Ballroom Dance Association registers new students at 7 p.m. Jan. 13 and 27 at Makakilo Community Park for classes in Merengue and West Coast Swing. Classes began Jan. 6 for eight Mondays at the park, 92-1120 Makakilo Drive. Call 781-2076 or 220-6026.
* MANANA DANCE The Pearl City chapter of Hawaii Ballroom Dance Association registers new students at 7 p.m. Jan. 14 at Manana Elementary School for classes in cha cha and tango. Classes began at 7 p.m. Jan. 7 and meet each Tuesday at the school for a nominal fee. Call 456-2129.
* WAIMALU DANCE The Pearlridge chapter of Hawaii Ballroom Dance Association registers new students from 7 to 8 p.m. Jan. 14 at Waimalu Elementary School for classes in cha cha and tango. Classes began at 7 p.m. Jan. 7 and meet each Tuesday through Feb. 25 at Waimalu for a nominal fee. Call 836-4579 or 488-3935.
* AIEA ROTARY Pearl-ridge Rotary Club meets at 11:30 a.m. Jan. 17 at Pearl Country Club to hear from Anthony Chrisco, founding member of Fascia Research Society. For details, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* COMPOST Halawa Xeriscape Garden offers a bokashi composting workshop, “Composting in a Bucket,” from 10:30 a.m. to noon Jan. 18 at 99-1268 Iwaena St. Fee is $10, including a pound of mix. Call 748-5363 to register before Jan. 17.
* NISHIHARA TALK State Sen. Clarence Nishihara hosts a coffee hour at 8 a.m. Jan. 18 at the Walmart McDonald’s in Pearl City. Call 728-1008.
* ORGANIZE Simply Organized in Kapolei offers a free workshop on Free-domRail (closet system) at 1 p.m. Jan. 18 at 889 Kamokila Blvd. Call 693-8888.
* BLOOD DRIVE Hawaii Blood Bank conducts a donor drive from 7:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Jan. 19 at Waikele Center. Call 848-4770.
* LIBRARIES CLOSED All public libraries are closed Jan. 20 for the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday; the Waipahu branch also is closed Jan. 21.
* QUINTET SHOW Chamber Music Hawaii presents the Spring Wind Quintet at 7 p.m. Jan. 21 in UH West Oahu library, featuring music by Franz Danzi, Paul Hindemith, Daniel Baldwin and J.S. Bach/Schweitzer. Call 489-5038.
* LEGACY LUNCH Nanakuli Boys & Girls Clubhouse sponsors a benefit Legacy Lunch at 11 a.m. Jan. 24 at Paradise Cove Ocean Garden in Ko Olina. Tickets cost $125 for a gourmet meal, raffle drawings, live entertainment, NFL Pro Bowl players and more. Proceeds benefit five area public schools. Call 668-9399.
* MARSH HELP Hawaii Nature Center volunteers help clean and restore Pouhala Marsh from 8:30 to 11:30 a.m. Jan. 25 in the Pearl Harbor wetlands. Call 955-0100, ext. 118.
* WORMS Halawa Xeriscape Garden presents “Plants Drink Tea Too” at 10:30 a.m. Jan. 25 at 99-1268 Iwaena St. Fee for the workshop on vermicast tea-making is $15, which includes a take-home bag of the worm castings. Call 748-5312 to sign up.
* HEALING Malama Learning Center presents a workshop in La’au Lapa’au from 9 a.m. to noon Jan. 25 at ‘Ilima at Leihano, 891 Kama’aha Ave. in Kapolei. Fee is $15 per person. Call 220-4166.
* NATIVE SCHOLARS OHA presents a Native Hawaiian Scholarship ‘Aha from 3 to 5:30 p.m. Jan. 29 at the LCC campus center. Call 594-1888.
* ADOPTING PETS Hawaii Dog Foundation sponsors pet adoptions from noon to 2 p.m. every Sunday at Petco Pearl City. Call 782-8387.
* MASTERS SWIM The Veterans Memorial Aquatic Center has a U.S. Masters swimming program Monday and Wednesday nights at Central Oahu Regional Park. For updates, call 677-8849.
* ‘WAR’S END’ Kapolei High students partner with Kapolei Library to present “Images at War’s End” now through Feb. 22 at the library, featuring photos and memorabilia from the USS Missouri. Call 693-7050.
* HABITAT HELP Habitat for Humanity Leeward Oahu seeks volunteers to help with its mission of self-built housing for low-income families in Kapolei, Ewa Beach and Waianae. Call Toni Anduha at 696-7882.
* SPRING FOOTBALL Hawaii Islanders seeks players 8 to 14 years old for 2014 Spring Tackle Football for boys, as well as coaches and team parents, for the Pearl City, Aiea and Moanalua areas. Call or text 352-5294.
* YOUTH RUGBY USO Athletics seeks players and coaches for the upcoming youth rugby season (U19 to U10), with practice and games beginning in January in West Oahu. Call Ray Maae at 275-6134.
* SOCCER SIGNUPS Leeward Region 269 AYSO is registering boys and girls age 4 to 18 (from Makakilo to Makaha) for spring soccer, with the season starting in January. Fee is $70. Visit leewardayso269.com.
* WELLNESS Shizendo ki method founder Hideo Kimura conducts Ki Wellness classes at 6 p.m. Mondays and Fridays, and Aikido for Seniors at 7:30 p.m. Mondays and Fridays at Aiea Soto Mission. Free trials are allowed. The mission is located at 99-045 Kauhale St. Call 671-1422.
* FITNESS Shake that Fitness 808 offers dance fitness classes at 6:15 p.m. each Tuesday, Thursday and Friday at United Visayan Hall, 94-833 Awanei St. in Waipahu. Call Susan at 671-3943.
* FITNESS Fit Wiz Hawaii offers classes in Pilates, yoga, Tabata and TRX Beach Boot Camps (suspension training) in Kapolei and Ewa Beach for ages 12 and older, with the first class free. Visit fitwizhawaii.com.
* YOGA Free classes in Holistic Energy Yoga meet at 10:30 a.m. Wednesdays at Waiau District Park. Call 381-4376.
* HIDEAWAY BAND 11th Hour performs original and cover rock music from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. every third Saturday at the Hideaway, 1 Coral Sea Road in Kalaeloa. Free admission for ages 21 and older with military ID. Call 347-1323.
* VEGGIE COOKS Down to Earth offers free vegetarian cooking classes at 4 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. Wednesdays at its Kapolei store, and at 5:30 p.m. on the first and third Monday at its Pearlridge store. Call 947-3249.
* STRIDERS The Leeward Stroller Strides group meets at 8:45 a.m. Tuesdays and Thursday at Central Oahu Regional Park, offering a fitness walk for moms and tots in strollers. Fee is $60 a month. A Kapolei group meets at 8:45 a.m. Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Call 398-6275.
* ROLLER DERBY The Aloha City Rollers are recruiting new players and referees for league play in West Oahu. All adults age 18-50 are welcome to learn and compete in this fun team sport. Call 454-3847 or visit 808derby.com.
* COMIC JAMS Pearl-ridge Center hosts Comic Jam Hawaii from 1 to 4 p.m. Sundays Uptown, welcoming professionals and amateurs. Call 488-0981.
* SLACK KEYYameen Fong leads beginner slack-key classes at 6:30 p.m. Thursdays at Ewa Beach Community Park. The course has four sessions, and students should bring their own guitars. Call 685-6035 or visit fongsmusic.homestead.com.