Wahiawa Lions Celebrate 75 Years
Wahiawa Lions Club marked its 75th anniversary March 18 with a celebration at Dot’s Restaurant. The festivities were attended by representatives from around the state, including first vice district governor Kelvin Moniz from Kauai, second vice district governor Nadine Nishioka, a Honolulu resident, and former district governor Bernard Ho.
The club was organized in late 1939 by 42 area residents with the help of Leeward Lions Club. The new group submitted the required documents to charter North Oahu Lions Club and awaited word from Lions Clubs International. The official charter was issued Jan. 4, 1940, but the new club did not receive the charter until March of that year, since mail at the time was delivered by boats.
In 1947, the club changed its name to Wahiawa Lions Club and later became the mother club for Ko‘olauloa Lions Club in Kahuku and Mililani Lions Club.
The anniversary party featured music by Koa Kane Band, photos from the club’s past and a display of the some of the club shirts worn over the years.
Past district governor Ernie Chang displayed the 50th anniversary T-shirt of the club under his aloha shirt, and City Councilman and Mililani Lion Ron Menor presented the club with an anniversary resolution from the council.