Lightening Up An Island Udon Fave
AlohaCare has been a part of Cooking Hawaiian Style from the start, sharing healthy and affordable recipes with the community. Alyssa Moreau created this amazing, healthier version of the popular udon noodle salads we see at potlucks and restaurants.
UDON NOODLE SALAD WITH LIGHT PEANUT SAUCE
• 12 ounces udon noodles (preferably dry, like Hula brand)
• 2 teaspoons sesame oil
• 4 cups thinly sliced won bok cabbage
• 1/2 cup grated carrot
• 1/2 cup thinly sliced red bell pepper
• 1 cup seeded Japanese cucumber, sliced in half-moons
• 1/2 cup chopped mint
• 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
• 1/2 cup chopped green onion
• 1 cup marinated, baked tofu (Oriental style, White Wave brand), optional
Cook udon noodles about eight minutes; drain and rinse under cool water until at room temperature. Toss with a bit of sesame oil to prevent sticking. Combine the rest of the salad ingredients in a large bowl and add in the noodles. Toss well.
To serve, place salad on plates and serve dressing on the side.
For Light Peanut Sauce:
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
• 1/4 cup smooth, non-hydrogenated peanut butter
• 1/2 cup firm silken tofu (Mori-Nu brand)
• 2 tablespoons honey
• 1/4 teaspoon Sambal Oelek Chili Paste
• 1 tablespoon low-sodium Aloha Shoyu
• 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
• 1/2 to 1 cup water (as needed)
Place all ingredients (except water) in blender. Add 1/2 cup water, then blend, adding more as necessary to get a preferred consistency.
Be sure to watch Cooking Hawaiian Style on OC16 channels 12 and 1012. Visit CookingHawaiianStyle.com for thousands of free recipes.