‘Olelo Video West-area Finalists
Two dozen entries from West Oahu video teams have made it to the finals of the 2015 ‘Olelo Youth Xchange Video Competition, which drew a record 892 submissions this year.
At stake is a Sony digital video camera for the winning school in each of 44 divisional categories. Winners will be announced May 4 during an awards gala (and a live cablecast at 10:30 a.m. on ‘Olelo Channel 54). Beyond the prizes and glory, organizers of the 12th annual contest say it’s designed to “give keiki a voice to tell stories in a variety of video formats about subjects meaningful to them.”
Among the finalists are the following area schools, listed by category and title.
• Animation: Pearl Ridge Elementary, Bullying; and Waipahu High, A Surprise Encounter
• Be a Jerk: Waipahu Elementary, Bottles Down, Thumbs Down, Be a Jerk
• Creating Peace: Waimalu Elementary, Stomp Cyber Bullying and Racism; Aiea High, Kindness is Contagious
• Malama ‘Aina: Webling Elementary, Malama the ‘Aina
• Meth: Not Even Once: Ewa Makai Middle, The Meth Effect
• Mini Documentary: Kapolei High, Special Needs Screenprinting
• News: Webling Elementary, Drive Smart, Ride Safe; Alvah Scott Elementary, Newscast About Our Superhero; Waipahu Intermediate, L Building; Aiea High, Musical Nightmare
• Public service announcement: Waipahu High, A.C.B.A.V.O.D.V.
• Short: Waikele Elementary, Be Safe When You Drive; Waipahu Intermediate, One Connection
• Start Living Healthy: Pearl Ridge Elementary, PE Does a Body Good; Webling Elementary, Healthy Hearts = Happy Hearts; Ewa Makai Middle, P.E. -Powerful Education
• Value of Water: Waipahu Elementary, Shower Less or Be Showerless; Waipahu Intermediate, Conserve Water; Ewa Makai Middle, Drip Drip Drop.