Luncheon Honors Top HSTA Teachers
Hawaii State Teachers Association (HSTA) honored 31 teachers May 2 at its Central Chapter Teacher Excellence luncheon at Hawaii Okinawa Center.
More than 800 educators and guests attended the luncheon to celebrate the honorees through cheers, songs, poems, costumes and props.
“The Central Teachers Excellence Award is a special recognition, as honorees are nominated by their peers, who best understand the profession, their schools, and share a commitment to quality education in Hawaii,” said HSTA state president Wil Okabe. “These individuals represent the best role models in our communities, who go above and beyond to challenge and empower our students to ensure they have the best tools and opportunities to succeed.”
The luncheon was established 26 years ago by former chapter member Meredith Monteville who wanted to recognize teachers doing incredible things in the classroom. Every year, teachers from schools within the Central Oahu district, which includes 43 schools and approxi- mately 2,385 teachers, nominate one representa- tive from each school for the award.
Teacher Excellence honorees
• Lynele Basug, Hale Kula Elementary
• Karen Nose, Helemano Elementary
• Rebecca Hodge, Iliahi Elementary
• AngelitaReed,Ka‘ala Elementary
• Shawn Nakata, Leilehua High
• Darlene Fujimoto, Mililani High
• Rosanne Oda-Ching, Mililani ‘Ike Elementary
•LynnYoshioka, Mililani Middle
• Bao Nguyen, Mililani Uka Elementary
• Jennelle Ichishita, Mililani Waena Elementary
Teachers Excellence Award Recipients
• Donna Williams, Solomon Elementary
• Randy Koji Otaka, Wahiawa Elementary
• Jody Conjugacion, Wahiawa Middle
• Lauren St. Germain, Wheeler Elementary