Kahala Resort Saluting Julia
The Kahala Hotel & Resort is throwing a month-long 100th birthday party for the late American chef Julia Child in August.
There will be a feast of events to chose from, highlighted by the James Beard Foundation Dinner with wine pairings at 5:30 p.m. Aug. 12 in the Maile Ballroom. Some proceeds from this event will support the foundation’s mission to preserve America’s diverse culinary heritage. Reservations are $325 per person.
Other events are listed below.
* Parisian Pleasures – nightly Aug. 1-31 in the Veranda lounge with champagne cocktails, pastries and small plates, plus live music and dancing.
* Hoku’s Chef’s Table: A Grand Experience – Elaborate five- or six-course meal with wine pairings from 5:30 to 10 p.m. Thursday and Sunday starting Aug. 2, from $150. Also nightly a la carte selections from Child’s cookbook, Mastering the Art of French Cooking.
* Bounty of the Seven Seas: the Regions of France – Plumeria Beach House serves a special buffet from 5:30 to 10 p.m. Friday and Saturdays starting Aug. 3, with a new province each week; adults $55, children $27.50.
* Universite Pattisserie, Better with Butter – Cooking classes in making pastries, desserts and more at 9 a.m. Aug. 4, 11 and 25 in Hoku’s, followed by high tea in the Veranda lounge; fee is $85.
* Wine & Food Classic, A Celebration of France – California wines and French dishes served at 7 p.m. Aug. 18 with Young’s Market Co.; reservations $125 at the door (VIPs at 6 p.m. for $150).
* Breakfast Buffet Weekend, Better with Butter – Plumeria Beach House adds fresh creamery butter to a variety of buffet dishes a la Julia Child at 9 a.m. Aug. 25 and 26; $45 adults, $22.50 children.
* Better with Butter Tea – The Veranda lounge has classic tea service ($28), and royal tea service ($42) from 2 to 5 p.m Aug. 25 and 26.
For details and reservations, call 739-8760.