Windward Video Whiz Kids Make Finals In Statewide Contest
Video production teams from Windward district schools are looking good for the 2014 statewide ‘Olelo Youth Xchange Student Video Competition, with 17 of their entries selected as finalists – and 10 of them from Kainalu Elementary School.
Kainalu’s students were encouraged by teachers Irene Yamashita and Grant Oka.
“Our students have been editing on Final Cut Pro X software,” explained Yamashita, “and I start them on this program in second grade. This software is being used commercially in the industry, and the kids pick it up quickly. It’s amazing.”
The awards banquet May 5 at Ko Olina will present high-definition Sony digital video cameras to the winners in each of 37 categories. Organizers said that submissions this year jumped 22 percent, making the 11th annual contest a hot commodity.
The ceremony itself will be shown in live cablecast from the Ihilani resort, where award-winning adult director Tim Savage will give the keynote address to Hawaii’s future filmmakers. Savage is currently directing Under the Blood Red Sun in Hawaii.
Here’s the lineup of Windward finalists, selected in categories at each school level by judges who viewed their entries:
* Animation – Believe in Yourself by Kainalu Elementary; How Does Your Garden Grow? by Ahuimanu Elementary.
* Be A Jerk – Be A Jerk by Kainalu, Underage Drinking Is Not Cool by Kainalu; Rest in Peace by King Intermediate.
* Hawaii Meth Project – Don’t Do Meth by Kainalu Elementary.
* Mini Documentary – Taro and GMOs by Maunawili Elementary; Hokulea: A Boy’s Journey to Hawaiian Pride by Kahuku High School.
* News – Kendamas by Kainalu Elementary.
* Peacemaker – Words Hurt by Kainalu; Bullying Hasn’t Ended by King Intermediate, Send by Kailua Intermediate.
* Public Service Announcement – Germs by Kainalu Elementary.
* Saving H2Outdoors – Water Tree by Kainalu.
* Short – Contamination in Hawaii Waters by Maunawili, I Wish by Kainalu Elementary.
* Wai – The Worth of Wai by Kainalu.