West Oahu Highlights
Send West Oahu items to firstname.lastname@example.org by July 16 to be considered for the July 23 edition.
* KAPOLEI DANCE The Kapolei chapter of Hawaii Ballroom Dance Association registers students at 7 p.m. July 14 and 21 at Makakilo Community Park for classes in waltz and samba that began July 7. Call 781-2076.
* AIEA DANCE The Pearlridge chapter of Hawaii Ballroom Dance Association signs up students at 7 p.m. July 15 at Waimalu Elementary School for lessons in rumba and East Coast swing. Classes began July 8. Call 456-2129 or 488-3935.
* CAMPBELL ’72 Deadline is July 15 to reserve a place at 60th birthday festivities for Campbell High School’s Class of 1972, set for Sept. 19-23 in Las Vegas. To make arrangements, call Vacations Hawaii. For more details, call Myrna at 265-2412 or email email@example.com.
* NIGHT MARKET Down to Earth Kapolei hosts a night market from 5 to 7:30 p.m. July 15 at Kapolei Commons. Call 673-2300.
* EWA DANCE Ewa Beach’s chapter of Hawaii Ballroom Dance Association registers students at 6:45 p.m. July 16 at Asing Community Park for intermediate Bolero and East Coast Swing classes. The park is at 94-1450 Renton Road. Call 781-2076.
* KEIKI FILM HUI Pearlridge 16 and Kapolei 16 Theatres’ Keiki Film Hui screens The Croods at 10 a.m. July 16-17, with children’s tickets costing $1. Still ahead: Despicable Me 2 July 23-24 and Rio July 30-31. Call 239-0919.
* METH ART Kapolei Hale Courtyard displays original works by Hawaii teens in the exhibit, “Not Even Once … Take a stand against METH,” through July 17. Call 922-5331.
* PAU HANA MUSIC Aka Vibes entertains for pau hana from 6 to 8 p.m. July 17 at Aiea Bowl and The Alley Restaurant. Call 445-8236.
* PEARL CITY BON Rissho Kosei-kai Buddhist Church of Hawaii presents its bon dances and plenty of food from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. July 18 and 19 at 2289 Auhuhu St. in Pearl City. Call 455-3212.
* ORGANIZED Simply Organized offers a free demonstration of Freedom-Rail closet systems at 1 p.m. July 19 at its Kapolei store, 889 Kamokila Blvd. Call 693-8888.
* ARCHERY BENEFIT Pu’u Kapolei Archery Range on Fort Barrette Road plans a Peter Akau Memorial Shoot from 7:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. July 19 to benefit Hawaii Foodbank. For details, visit bushwackersarcheryclub.org.
* NISHIHARA HOUR State Sen. Clarence Nishihara hosts a monthly coffee hour at 9 a.m. July 19 at Waipahu Don Quijote. Call 728-1008.
* BLOOD DRIVES Hawaii Blood Bank has donor drives from 7:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. July 20 at Waikele Center and from 7 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. July 27 at the Ewa Town Center Foodland. Call 848-4770.
* NEIGHBORS Pearl City Neighborhood Board meets at 7 p.m. July 22 at Waiau District Park, and Makakilo-Kapolei-Honokai Hale meets at 7 p.m. July 23 at Kapolei High cafeteria. Call 768-3710.
* AWARENESS Kundiman 808 offers a variety of free entertainment and messages against domestic violence from Filipino voices from 4:40 to 8:30 p.m. July 27 at the FilCom Center, 94-428 Mokuola St. Call 778-3230.
* DRESS DRIVE Beautiville of Kapolei has its annual Prom Dress Drive Spartea (spa party) from 3 to 5 p.m. July 27. Donate a dress and get a $10 gift card for a spa or salon treatment. Call 674-9999.
* KROC COMEDY Kroc Center presents “Comedy Night at the Kroc” at 7 p.m. Aug. 2, featuring local comedians Jose Dynamite and James Mane. Admission is $10 at the door or in advance, with pre-show plate dinners from 5:30 to 6:30. The center is at 91-3257 Kualakai Parkway in Ewa Beach. Call 682-5505.
* YOUTH FOOTBALL KapCity Hurricanes register players for youth flag and tackle football now through Aug. 31 for the fall season (September-November). Area practices are held from 4 to 6:30 p.m. week-days. Call 393-5844 or visit facebook.com/usoathletics.
* WAIPAHU ZUMBA Zumba classes with Sexy Crew are back every Thursday at 6:30 p.m at United Visayan Community Hall, 94-833 Awanei St. in Waipahu. Drop-in fee is $5. Call 393-8073.
* AIKIDO Aikido Yuishinkai Honolulu leads ki and martial arts classes from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays at Halawa District Park, second floor. Classes follow the teachings of Koretoshi Maruyama and Morihei Ueshiba, for all ages and skill levels. Call James Peters at 256-9944.
* SELF DEFENSE Austin Streadbeck leads a self-defense class from 6 to 8 p.m. each Wednesday and Thursday at Makakilo Community Center, based on the teachings of Henry Okazaki’s Kodenkan/Danzan Ryu Jujitsu. Call 383-1480.
* WELLNESS Shizendo Ki method founder Hideo Kimura teaches therapy exercises and how to use Ki to monitor pain and emotional release for beginners at 6 p.m. each Monday and Friday. He also leads adult beginner aikido at 7:30 p.m. the same nights at Soto Mission of Aiea, 99-045 Kauhale St. Free trials are allowed. Classes start this month. Call 671-1422.