West Oahu Highlights
Send West Oahu items to firstname.lastname@example.org by June 4 to be considered for the June 11 edition.
* BLOOD DRIVES Hawaii Blood Bank has donor drives from 7:45 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. June 2 at Kapolei Bank of Hawaii, 8:30 a.m.-noon June 3 at UH-West Oahu, 7:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. June 7 at Pearlridge Center Downtown, 7 a.m.-1:30 p.m. June 8 at Waikele Center and 8:30 a.m.-12:45 p.m. June 11 at Tony Group Autoplex. Call 848-4770.
* RONALD Ronald McDonald brings an interactive show to three West Oahu libraries to kick off their Children’s Summer Reading programs: 10:30 a.m. June 2 at Kapolei Library (693-7050), 1:30 p.m. June 9 at Pearl City Library (453-6566), and 10:30 a.m. June 20 at Ewa Beach Library (689-1204). Also, Moms in Hawaii plans an after-party from noon to 1:30 p.m. June 2 at the Kapolei West McDonald’s. Visit momsinhawaii.com for reservations and details.
* HARDWARE “Experience Hardware Science,” a free lesson for keiki using simple tools to learn about STEM, is set for 1:30 p.m. June 2 at Pearl City Library (453-6566), 10:30 a.m. June 13 at Ewa Beach Library (689-1204), and 10:30 a.m. June 19 at Kapolei Library (693-7050).
* SABERS COOK Weed & Seed and HPD sponsor a Culinary Arts Summer Program June 3-July 11 from 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays at Campbell High School for CHS students, awarding a half-credit upon completion. Applications may be dropped off at Boys & Girls Club-Hale Pono Clubhouse in Ewa Beach. Call Gale Braceros at 689-4182, ext. 225.
* PETER RABBIT Honolulu Theatre for Youth performs an interactive version of Peter Rabbit and the Garden at 10:30 a.m. June 7 at Kapolei Library. Call 693-7050.
* LES MIZ American Renaissance Academy presents Les Miserables at 2 and 7 p.m. June 7 at Leeward Community College Theatre. Visit ara-hawaii.org for tickets.
* HOME FENG SHUI Coldwell Banker Pacific Properties presents a free seminar on feng shui for the home at 1 p.m. June 7 at the Star-Advertiser plant, 4545 Kapolei Parkway. Feng shui expert Peter Lung shares methods to enhance luck in home, health and career. The event comes with light refreshments and a drawing for a $25 gift card. RSVP to 372-5409.
* READING ADULTS Kapolei Library’s summer reading program for adults begins at 1 p.m. June 7 with a talk by Chuck Boller, director emeritus of Hawaii International Film Festival. He’ll focus on what books make good movies. The speaker series also meets June 14, June 28 and July 12. Call 693-7050.
* DISASTER Pearl City Library presents a free talk by geophysicist Gerard Fryer and Civil Defense volunteer Manny Mattos on “Disaster Preparedness” at 1 p.m. June 8. Call 453-6566.
* NEIGHBORS Aiea Neighborhood Board meets at 7:30 p.m. June 9 in the Aiea Library conference room, and Ewa meets at 7 p.m. June 12 at Ewa Beach Library. Call 768-3710.
* BON DANCE Hawaii’s Plantation Village conducts its annual O-bon celebration and bon dance June 14 starting at 4 p.m. with ceremonies, 5 p.m. food sales and 6 p.m. dancing at 94-695 Waipahu St. Call 677-0110.
* WAIMANO HIKE Hawaiian Trail & Mountain Club leads a 5-mile intermediate hike to the Waimano Tunnels at 8 a.m. June 14. Visit htmclub.org.
* GARDEN ART Oahu Urban Garden Center’s Second Saturday theme is “Art in the Garden” from 9 a.m. to noon June 14 at 955 Kamehameha Hwy. in Pearl City. The UH Art Department staff presents a gardening workshop with experts, a panel discussion, demonstrations and interactive art activities. Call 453-6050.
* PROJECT GRAD Island Pacific Academy stages a benefit for 2015 Project Graduation, “Food for Thought,” from 6 to 9 p.m. June 14 at the Kapolei campus, featuring chef food stations, beer and wine pairings, entertainment and a silent auction. Tickets cost $78 per person, and child care is available. Call 382-8065.
* HOME BUYING Coldwell Banker Pacific Properties runs a free seminar on “Buying with No Money Down” at 5:30 p.m. June 15 at its office in Kapolei Commons. Speaker is Layne Goeas of Pacific Access Mortgage. RSVP to 947-8101.
* GOLF BENEFIT Pearl Country Club hosts a Pearl City Football benefit golf tourney June 17, with shotgun start at 12:30 p.m. Fee is $160, which includes prizes, bag lunch (provided) and dinner buffet. Call 387-3428 or 216-2950.
* AIKIDO Aikido Yuishinkai Honolulu leads ki and martial arts classes from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays at Halawa District Park, second floor, following teachings of Koretoshi Maruyama and Morihei Ueshiba. All ages and skill levels welcome. Call James Peters at 256-9944.
* SELF DEFENSE Austin Streadbeck leads a self-defense class from 6 to 8 p.m. each Wednesday and Thursday at Makakilo Community Center, based on the teachings of Henry Okazaki’s Kodenkan/Danzan Ryu Jujitsu. Call 383-1480.
* WELLNESS Hideo Kimura leads therapy exercises and how to use Ki to monitor pain and emotional release for beginners at 6 p.m. Monday and Friday; and adult beginner aikido at 7:30 p.m. at Soto Mission of Aiea. Call 671-1422.