West Oahu Highlights
Send West Oahu items to email@example.com by May 21 to be considered for the May 28 edition.
* NEIGHBORS Waipahu Neighborhood Board meets at 7 p.m. May 22 at FilCom Center, Pearl City meets at 7 p.m. May 27 at Waiau District Park, Makakilo-Kapolei-Honokai Hale meets at 7 p.m. May 28 at Kapolei High cafeteria, Aiea meets at 7:30 p.m. June 9 in the Aiea Library conference room, and Ewa meets at 7 p.m. June 12 at Ewa Beach Library. Call 768-3710.
* VETS GOLF Hoakalei Country Club hosts the U.S. VETS-Barbers Point benefit golf tournament May 23 in Ewa Beach with contests, lunch, buffet dinner and awards for players. Registration opens at 10 a.m. with shotgun start at noon. Call 271-7022.
* CLOSURES All public libraries are closed May 24-26 for Memorial Day weekend; Aiea Library is open May 23 during special hours. Call 483-7333.
* BLOOD DRIVE Hawaii Blood Bank has a donor drive from 7 a.m. to noon May 25 at Ewa Beach Elementary School. Call 848-4770.
* WATER PARK Wet ‘n’ Wild water park celebrates Memorial Day with a Pepsi theme from 10:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. May 26 with a variety of promotions and discounts, plus live deejays, games, prizes and free samples. Call 674-9283.
* TOWN HALL Mayor Kirk Caldwell and his cabinet conduct a town hall meeting at 6:30 p.m. May 28 at Nanaikapono Elementary School in Nanakuli. Call 768-6928.
* FAMILY FAIR August Ahrens Elementary School marks its 90th anniversary with a Family Fun Day from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. May 28, featuring food trucks, live entertainment, crafts and game booths. Named after a former Waipahu Sugar Plantation manager, the school is located at 94-1170 Waipahu St. Call 686-7336.
* RICH DAD TIPS Rich Dad Education sponsors a free financial workshop from 9 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. May 30 at Ihilani Resort, based on the principles of Robert Kiyosaki’s bestseller Rich Dad Poor Dad. Additional products and services will be offered for sale. Call 800-473-9215 or register online at richdadeducation.com.
* ORGANIZED Simply Organized offers a “Travel Organized” workshop with Arlene Shiratori-Wong of Travelon at 1 p.m. May 31 at its Kapolei store, 889 Kamokila Blvd. Call 693-8888.
* MARSH CLEANUP Hawaii Nature Center volunteers help clean up Pouhala Marsh from 8:30 to 11:30 a.m. May 31 and June 21 in Waipahu. Call 955-0100, ext. 118. * WAIMALU HIKE Hawaiian Trail & Mountain Club leads a 6-mile intermediate hike to Waimalu Ditch at 8 a.m. June 1. Visit htmclub.org.
* SOCCER SIGNUPS Ka’oi Soccer Club holds free tryouts from 9 a.m. to noon June 1 at Waiau District Park upper fields for players age 8-19 years old. Bring a ball and show ID. The season starts Aug. 1 with the aim to build skills and character. Call 864-2791.
* CAMPBELL COOKS Weed & Seed and HPD sponsor a Culinary Arts Summer Program June 3-July 11 from 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays at Campbell High School for its students, including a half-credit upon completion. Call Gale Braceros at 689-4182, ext. 225. Applications may be dropped off at Boys & Girls Club-Hale Pono Clubhouse in Ewa Beach.
* AIKIDO Aikido Yuishinkai Honolulu leads ki and martial arts classes from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays at Halawa District Park, second floor. Classes follow the teachings of Koretoshi Maruyama and Morihei Ueshiba, and are for all ages and skill levels. Call James Peters at 256-9944.
* SELF DEFENSEAustin Streadbeck leads a self-defense class from 6 to 8 p.m. each Wednesday and Thursday at Makakilo Community Center, based on the teachings of Henry Okazaki’s Kodenkan/Danzan Ryu Jujitsu. Call 383-1480.
* WELLNESS Shizendo Ki method founder Hideo Kimura teaches therapy exercises and how to use Ki to monitor pain and emotional release for beginners at 6 p.m. each Monday and Friday. He also leads adult beginner aikido at 7:30 the same nights at Soto Mission of Aiea, 99-045 Kauhale St. Free trials are allowed. Classes start this month. Call 671-1422.
* PET ADOPTION Hawaii Dog Foundation sponsors pet adoptions from noon to 2 p.m. Sundays at PETCO Pearl City. Call 782-8387.
* PET FOOD The Kapolei and Pearl City PETCO stores accept unopened, unexpired dry pet food daily for Hawaiian Humane Society to help owners better afford to feed their dogs and cats. Call 356-2217
* HABITAT HELP Habitat for Humanity Leeward Oahu seeks volunteers for its mission of self-built housing for low-income families in Kapolei, Ewa Beach and Waianae. Call 696-7882.
* YOGA Free classes in Holistic Energy Yoga meet at 10:30 a.m. Wednesdays at Waiau District Park. Call 381-4376.
* VEGGIE COOKS Down to Earth runs free vegetarian cooking classes at 4 p.m. on the first Wednesday of the month at its Kapolei store. Call 947-3249.
* ZUMBA Pinoy Crew 808 leads Zumba classes at 6:30 p.m. Wednesdays and Fridays at FilCom Center. Fee is $5 per session. Call 680-0451.
* STARGAZING Hawaiian Astronomical Society has free “star parties” at Geiger Community Park in Ewa. Members bring telescopes to the park Saturday nights at dusk and must be out of the park by 10 p.m. Dates are determined by moon phase, normally the first quarter moon. Call 683-0118 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* STAR SIGHTINGS Ko Olina hosts “Stars Above Hawaii,” an astronomical star show. at 8 and 9 nightly. An additional show starts at 10 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays, all by reservation at 291-2464.
* EWA CERT Ewa Beach Emergency Prepared-ness Committee is working to organize Community Emergency Preparedness Teams (CERT) to train others in how to respond to a disaster. To request training or offer help, call 682-0111.
* KEIKI COUNCIL Central District South Community Children’s Council meets at 6 p.m. on the fourth Tuesday at Moanalua High Room G104; the Leeward council meets at 6:30 p.m. on the first Wednesday at the State of Hawaii building, 601 Kamokila Blvd. in Kapolei All parents of children with special needs are invited. Call 586-5363.