West Oahu Highlights
Send West Oahu items to email@example.com by May 14 to be considered for the May 21 edition.
* TOWN HALLS Mayor Kirk Caldwell and his cabinet conduct town hall meetings at 6:30 p.m. May 13 at Ewa Elementary School and again May 28 at Nanaikapono Elementary School in Nanakuli. Call 768-6928.
* BLOOD DRIVES Hawaii Blood Bank has donor drives from 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. May 16 at DAGS in the state Kakuhihewa Building in Kapolei, 7:30 a.m.-1:45 p.m. May 18 at Waikele Center, and 7 a.m. to noon May 25 at Ewa Beach Elementary School. Call 848-4770.
* CAR SEATS Kaiser Permanente offers free checkups of child car seats from 3:30 to 6 p.m. May 16 at Alphabetland Preschool in Pearl City, 1716 Komo Mai Drive. Call 432-2260.
* ROYAL MUSIC The Royal Hawaiian Band entertains at 10 a.m. May 17 at The Queen’s Medical Center-West. Call 922-5331.
* BUTTERFLIES Halawa Xeriscape Garden offers the workshop “Plant an Unthirsty Butterfly Oasis” from 10:30 a.m. to noon May 17 at 99-1268 Iwaena St. Fee is $5. Call 748-5363 by May 16. Space is limited.
* ORGANIZED Simply Organized offers a FreedomRail demonstration at 1 p.m. May 17 and “Travel Organized” with Arlene Shiratori-Wong of Travelon at 1 p.m. May 31 at its Kapolei store, 889 Kamokila Blvd. Call 693-8888.
* PACK OPEN HOUSE Performing Arts Center of Kapolei (PACKids) hosts an open house for parents at 2 p.m. May 18 in Kapolei High School cafeteria to cover program schedule, shows and costs. Visit pack-apolei.org.
* NEIGHBORSWaipahu Neighborhood Board meets at 7 p.m. May 22 at FilCom Center. Call 768-3710.
* VETS GOLF Hoakalei Country Club hosts the U.S. VETS-Barbers Point benefit golf tournament May 23 in Ewa Beach with contests, lunch, buffet dinner and awards for players. Registration starts at 10 a.m. and shotgun start is noon. Call 271-7022.
* FAMILY FAIR August Ahrens Elementary School marks its 90th anniversary with a Family Fun Day from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. May 28, featuring food truck treats, live entertainment, crafts and game booths. Named after a former Waipahu Sugar Plantation manager, the school is located at 94-1170 Waipahu St. Call 686-7336.
* GARDEN BASICS Malama Learning Center leads a workshop in “Gardening Basics for Beginners” from 9 a.m to noon May 31 at Kapolei High School nursery. Fee is $15 per person or $40 for families of up to three people. Call 220-4166 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* MARSH CLEANUP Hawaii Nature Center volunteers help clean up Pouhala Marsh from 8:30 to 11:30 a.m. May 31 and June 21 in Waipahu. Call 955-0100, ext. 118.
* CAMPBELL COOKS Weed & Seed and HPD sponsor a Culinary Arts Summer Program June 3-July 11, from 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, at Campbell High School for CHS students, featuring a half-credit upon completion. Call Gale Braceros at 689-4182, ext. 225. Applications may be dropped off at Boys & Girls Club-Hale Pono Clubhouse in Ewa Beach.
* FLEA MARKET Hawaii Self Storage conducts a flea market/swap meet from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. every Friday and Saturday at 2009 Lauwiliwili St. in Kapolei with new items daily and plenty of vendors. Email email@example.com.
* HULA WAIPAHU No Kealoha O Hula halau offers adult beginner classes at 6 p.m. and intermediate classes at 7 p.m. Wednesdays in Village Park. Fee is $25 plus a refundable $25 deposit. Call instructor Desiree Numango at 478-0404.
* ADOPTING PETS Hawaii Dog Foundation sponsors pet adoptions from noon to 2 p.m. every Sunday at Petco Pearl City. Call 782-8387.
* HABITAT HELP Habitat for Humanity Leeward Oahu seeks volunteers to help with its mission of self-built housing for low-income families in Kapolei, Ewa Beach and Waianae. Call Toni Anduha at 696-7882.
* YOGA Free classes in Holistic Energy Yoga meet at 10:30 a.m. Wednesdays at Waiau District Park. Call 381-4376.
* VEGGIE COOKS Down to Earth offers free vegetarian cooking classes at 4 p.m. on the first Wednesday of each month at its Kapolei store. Call 947-3249.
* MCC MARKET The Momilani Farmers Market at Momilani Community Center offers about 20 vendors plus a new family activity from 3 to 6 p.m. Fridays at 715 Hoomoana St. Call Kasey at 341-0568.
* MAKEKE KAPOLEI Kapolei High School has a farmers’ and green market, Makeke Kapolei, from 3 to 6:30 p.m. each Thursday in the school parking lot, offering more than 30 vendors with locally grown produce, prepared foods, plants, arts and crafts, demonstrations and cultural presentations. Co-sponsors are Malama Learning Center and Waianae Coast Comprehensive Health Center. Call 697-3599.
* MAHIKU MARKET A Mahiku Farmers Market is open from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sundays at The Waterfront at Pu’uola, 5105 Iroquois Ave. Call 225-4002.
* WAIPIO MARKET Kaiser Permanente’s Waipio Clinic hosts a Fresh Days Farmers Market from 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Wednesdays at 94-1480 Moaniani St. Call 432-2260.
* EWA MARKET Ewa Beach Shopping Center and Lay Farms sponsor a farmers market from 7 a.m. to 3 or 4 p.m. daily; the Serendipitous Gardener from 2 to 7 p.m. Wednesdays and 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturdays; and The Bread of Life from 2 to 6 p.m. Mondays and Tuesdays.
* CITY MARKETS The People’s Open Market sells produce on Tuesdays from 6:30 to 7:30 a.m. at Waiau District Park and 8:15-9:15 a.m. at Waipahu District Park; Fridays 7-8 a.m. at Halawa District Park and 9-10 a.m. at Ewa Beach Community Park; Sundays from 7-8:30 a.m. at Kapolei Community Park, 9:30-11 a.m. at Royal Kunia Park-n-Ride and 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. at Waikele Community Park. (522-7088).
* LCC MARKET ‘Nalo Farms hosts a weekly farmers market from 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Sundays in parking lot C at Leeward Community College, selling local produce and prepared dishes. Call 259-7698.
* AIEA MARKET Pearlridge Center has a weekly farmers market from 8 a.m. to noon Saturdays fronting Sears and Zippy’s, featuring music, prizes and keiki activities. Visit alamoanafarmersmarket.com.