West Oahu Highlights
Send West Oahu items to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 7 to be considered for the May 14 edition.
* PESTICIDES Seeds of Truth and Down to Earth Organic & Natural present a program on “Why GMO and Pesticides?” at 6:30 p.m. May 8 at Aiea Elementary School. Speakers are organic farmer Dave Burlew, beekeeper Howard McGinnis, extension crop specialist Hector Valenzuela, biologist Raychel Watkins and moderator Dr. Melissa Yee. Call 292-1179.
* BUSINESS FORUM A Hawaii Philippines Business Economic Forum is planned for 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. May 8 at FilCom Center. Call 342-7685.
* NEIGHBORS Ewa Neighborhood Board meets at 7 p.m. May 8 at Ewa Beach Library. Call 768-3710.
* SIG GOLF The Service Industry Golf tour welcomes players at 9:30 a.m. May 9 for a tournament at Hoakalei Country Club in Ewa Beach, with a portion of proceeds going to The Aloha Project for Hawaii-born keiki. Fee is $750 per three-person scramble team. Call 306-7579 or visit sigtourhawaii.com.
* AYSO SIGNUPS Leeward AYSO 269 conducts onsite registration from 3 to 5 p.m. May 10 at Nanakuli High cafeteria, and online (since March 1) at eayso.org. Fall season starts in August.
* GABBARD LISTENS State Sen. Mike Gabbard meets constituents for a “listen story” at 9 a.m. May 10 at the Kapolei Starbucks by the Chevron Station. Call 586-6830.
* MOMILANI FAIR Momilani Community Center has a craft and gift fair from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. May 10 at 715 Hoomoana St. with KC Waffle Dogs, children’s clothing, Tupperware, lamps, blankets, jewelry, baked goods and more. Call 479-5525.
* GARDENIAS Oahu Urban Garden Center’s Second Saturday is open from 9 a.m. to noon May 10 with a plant sale, plant clinic, garden tours and a workshop on growing gardenias (9:30 to 10:30 a.m.) with Dale Sato at 955 Kamehameha Hwy. in Pearl City. Workshop fee is $10, which includes a gardenia plant. Call Bea Sailer at 453-6050.
* SUCCULENTS Halawa Xeriscape Garden sponsors a Succulent Framed Art workshop at 10:30 a.m. May 10 for those who want to create a framed living garden. Program fee is $10, and RSVP is due by May 9. Call 748-5363.
* HONU RACE The Boys & Girls Club of Hawaii Leeward Clubhouses sponsor their annual Honu Race from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. May 10 for area families at The Salvation Army Kroc Center in Ewa Beach, featuring activities, prizes, mascots and the race with rubber honu in the pool. Purchase honu for $3 at the door. Visit bgch.com/2014honurace.
* CULINARY GALA Leeward Community College presents L’ulu, its annual Culinary Arts Gala, from 6 to 9 p.m. May 10 in The Pearl Restaurant with 13 noted chefs and LCC students. Tickets cost $100 through May 2, $125 after. Call 455-0298.
* RECYCLING Recycling drives are planned May 10 in Ewa for 9 a.m. to noon at Campbell High School (689-1200) and 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Blessings from Heaven Preschool (291-6151). Both accept scrap metal and a wide variety of items.
* NISHIHARA HOUR State Sen. Clarence Nishihara meets with constituents for a coffee hour at 8 a.m. May 10 at the Waipahu Don Quijote. Call 728-1008.
* BLOOD DRIVES Hawaii Blood Bank has donor drives from 7:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. May 10 at Kapolei Shopping Center, 8 a.m.-12:30 p.m. May 16 at DAGS in the state Kakuhihewa Building in Kapolei, and 7:30 a.m.-1:45 p.m. May 18 at Waikele Center. Call 848-4770.
* OCEAN CLINIC Na Kama Kai plans five Ocean Safety & Conservation Awareness clinics for youths at 9, 10 and 11 a.m., and 1 and 2 p.m. May 11 at Ewa Beach Park. Call 864-9164 or email email@example.com.
* CAR SEATS Kaiser Permanente offers free checkups of child car seats from 3:30 to 6 p.m. May 16 at Alphabetland Preschool in Pearl City, 1716 Komo Mai Drive. Call 432-2260.
* ROYAL MUSIC The Royal Hawaiian Band entertains at 10 a.m. May 17 at The Queen’s Medical Center-West. Call 922-5331.
* ORGANIZED Simply Organized offers a Freedomrail demonstration at 1 p.m. May 17 at its Kapolei store, 889 Kamokila Blvd. Call 693-8888.
* BUTTERFLIES Halawa Xeriscape Garden offers the workshop “Plant an Unthirsty Butterfly Oasis” from 10:30 a.m. to noon May 17 at 99-1268 Iwaena St. Fee is $5. Call 748-5363 by May 16. Space is limited.
* VETS GOLF Hoakalei Country Club hosts the U.S. VETS-Barbers Point benefit golf tournament May 23 in Ewa Beach. Registration starts at 10 a.m. Call 271-7022.