Central Oahu Highlights
Email Central Oahu items to email@example.com or fax to 585-6324. The next edition is Aug. 14, and deadline is Aug. 7.
* KEIKI FILM HUI Consolidated Theatres at Mililani Town Center screens How to Train your Dragon for $1 for keiki at 10 a.m. July 30-31. Call 625-0108.
* FARM FILMS Waimea Valley and Kokua Hawaii Foundation present the final show of the Taste of Summer Film Series, Truck Farm, at 7:30 p.m. Aug. 1, following the Haleiwa Farmers Market. Call 638-7766.
* SWIM SERIES The final North Shore Swim Series race is the Aug. 3 Jamba Juice North Shore Challenge from Ehukai Beach Park to Waimea Bay. Call 551-3298 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
* FESTIVAL ENTRY Deadline is Aug. 3 to reserve vendor space at the Wahiawa Pineapple Festival, set for 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Aug. 17 at the district park. Fee is $100 (products), $300 (businesses), $400 (food vendors) and $25-$50 (schools and nonprofits). Call Alesia at 694-0103 or visit wahiawapinefest.com.
* CHURCH LUAU Liliuokalani Protestant Church has its 37th benefit luau with live entertainment Aug. 3 at 66-090 Kamehameha Hwy. Tickets cost $20 (sitin, 1-4 p.m.) or $17.50 (takeout, 11 a.m.-2 p.m.). Call 637-9364.
* WAIALUA BON Waialua Hongwanji Mission has its bon dance at 7 p.m. Aug. 3 at 67-313 Kealohanui St. Call 637-4395.
* BANDSTAND Waialua Bandstand hosts the Royal Hawaiian Band at 4 p.m. Aug. 4, courtesy of Malama Market. Call 637-9721.
* ANTI CRIME Mililani Town Center hosts the 30th annual National Night Out (against crime) from 3 to 11 p.m. Aug. 6. Call 625-0108.
* MEETING DOGS Hawaii Dog Foundation has a “meet and greet” with its adoptable dogs from noon to 2 p.m. Aug. 10 at Mililani Mauka Dog Park, 95-1069 Ukuwai St. Call 782-8387.
* MILILANI BON Mililani Hongwanji Mission has its bon dances at 7 p.m. Aug. 16-17 at 95-257 Kaloapau St. Call 625-0925.
* FISHPOND HELP Loko Ea Fishpond in Hale-iwa (near Haleiwa Beach Park Mauka) welcomes a volunteer cleanup crew from 8:30 a.m. to 1:15 p.m. Aug. 17; tools and free lunch provided. Call 637-3232.
* KANIKAPILA Waimea Valley presents its monthly Kanikapila from 1 to 4 p.m. Aug. 18 featuring the Obrigo Ohana in the pavilion. All musicians are welcome. Call 638-7766.
* NEIGHBORS Wahiawa-Whitmore Village Neighborhood Board meets at 7 p.m. Aug. 19 at Wahiawa District Park, and Mililani Mauka-Launani Valley board meets at 7 p.m. Aug. 20 at Mililani Mauka Elementary. Call 768-3710.
* MOON WALK Waimea Valley has its monthly Moon Walk Aug. 20, from the ticket booth to the waterfall and back. Fee is $10 per person. For time and details, call 638-7766.
* CONCERT Waimea Valley completes its Generations Summer Concert Series from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Aug. 31 with Kaiholu, Abrigo ‘Ohana, Waipuna and Maunalua (The Future). Tickets are $20 and $10 at the gate. For advance prices, call 638-7766.
* LIBRARY ART Wahiawa Library has an exhibition now through Aug. 31 of Leilehua High School students’ award-winning artwork, plus a printed guide on the display. Call 622-6345.
* POLO Hawaii Polo Club is on break now, but matches resume Sept. 1. Call 226-0061 or 220-5153.
* SOCCER The Mililani-based Fusion Soccer Club is practicing now for the competitive HYSA season starting Sept. 1. The club seeks boys born between Aug. 1, 2004 and July 31, 2005 (927-4351) and girls born between Aug. 1, 2000 and July 31, 2001. Call 864-9965.
* PUPUKEA SENIORS Pohai Na Makua o Pupukea seniors club meets at 9:30 a.m. Tuesdays at Sunset Beach Recreation Center. Call 638-7213.
* WAHIAWA SENIORS The city has weekly programs and activities for the Wahiawa Rainbows at 8:30 a.m. Mondays at Wahiawa District Park. Call 621-5663.
* WHITMORE CLUB The city has weekly programs and activities for Whitmore Seniors Club at 9 a.m. Fridays at Whitmore Community Park. Call 622-2420.
* LAUGHS Augie & Lanai’s Comedy Shack is in the house from 6:30 to 9 p.m. on the first Thursday of each month at Dot’s in Wahiawa. Showtime is 8 p.m. and admission is $12. Call 479-0576.
* ZUMBA Debbie Rosa-rio leads an ongoing Zumba class at 6:45 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 9:30 a.m. Saturday at Mililani Waena Elementary. Fee is $5 per class or $45 per month. Call 780-5640.
* LIVE MUSIC Kemoo Farms has live music from 9 a.m. to 1 a.m. Friday and Saturday at The Pub and Lakeside Lanai for ages 21 and older. Cover is $5. Call 621-1835.
* LANGUAGES Language Wonderland conducts Saturday a.m. classes for keiki age 12 and younger in Japanese and Mandarin. Coming soon: French, Spanish and Russian. Fee is $165 for 10 classes. Call 1-760-477-3310 or visit language-wonderland.com.
* STRIDERS The Leeward Stroller Strides meets at 8:45 a.m. Tuesdays and Thursday at Central Oahu Regional Park for a fitness walk for moms and tots in strollers. Fee is $60 a month. A Schofield Barracks group meets at 8:45 a.m. Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Call 398-6275.
* JAZZERCISE Kate Moore leads low-impact, one-hour Jazzercise classes at 6 and 7 p.m. Mondays at Mililani District Park; beginners has Jazzercise at 6:15 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays at Mililani Rec Center 5. Call 621-2482.
* KEIKI COUNCIL Central District North Community Children’s Council meets at 5:30 p.m. on the third Wednesday in Mililani High Room C101. All parents of children with special needs are welcome. Call 586-5363.
* COMPUTERS A free tutoring service is available on computer basics at Wahiawa Library for seniors or anyone seeking help with their personal computer. To arrange a time, call Clark at 622-2784 or email email@example.com.
* QUEEN’S MARKET Liliuokalani Church has a Queen’s Open Market from 1 to 5 p.m. Sundays in Haleiwa with fresh produce, ono food and hand-crafted local items. Booth fee is $30. Vendors and entertainers may call 637-9364.
* NORTH MARKET The North Shore Country Market runs from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturdays at Sunset Beach Elementary School, selling Hawaii-made items exclusively. Vendors are welcome. Call 673-3296.
* WAIALUA CO-OP Waialua Farmers Co-op Market sells local produce, plants and more from 4:30 to 7 p.m. Wednesdays and 8:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturdays at Waialua Sugar Mill. Call 637-4439.
* WAHIAWA MART A farmers market is open from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. each Thursday in the Wahiawa Hongwanji Mission parking lot at 1067 California Ave. Visit wahiawacdbo.org.
* HALEIWA MARKET Haleiwa Farmers Market is open from 3 to 7 p.m. each Thursday in the Pikake Pavilion and main lawn at Waimea Valley. Call 388-9696.
* WAIPIO MARKET Kaiser Waipio Clinic hosts a “fresh day” market of healthy food and produce from 9 a.m. to noon each Wednesday at 94-1480 Moaniani St. Call 432-2270.
* MILILANI MARKET Mililani High School has a farmers market from 8 to 11 a.m. Sundays in the gym parking lot. Call 848-2074.
* CITY MARKETS The People’s Open Market sells produce on Tuesdays from 10 to 11 a.m. at Wahiawa District Park and from 11:45 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at Mililani District Park. Call 522-7088.
* CONSERVATION The Oahu Army Natural Resource Program welcomes volunteers for its service trips and environmental out-reach projects in the Waianae and Koolau mountains to control invasive weeds and more. Call Kim or Celeste at 656-7741.
* WAIALUA WRITERS The Waialua Library writers group meets at 11 a.m. on the second Saturday of each month at the library. Call 637-8286.
* BALLET Weinberg Community Center has ballet classes for children ages 4-18 at 67-174 Farrington Hwy. in Waialua. Call Kristin Rivers at 623-9062 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* SUP YOGA Judy Kosaka leads SUP Yoga (yoga on a stand up paddle board) at 9:30 a.m. Sundays at Anahulu Stream in Haleiwa for $10 per class (bring your own board). Other training also is available. Call 627-9444 or email email@example.com.
* AIKIDO Mililani Aikido Club practices Tuesday and Thursday nights at Mililani District Park gym. Call 623-8937.
* KAHUKU MUSIC Turtle Bay Resort has three venues offering live music and/or hula several week-nights and weekend dates each month. Call 779-5546.
* GROUP YOGA Judy Kosaka leads group yoga classes at 7 p.m. Tuesdays in Mililani Rec Center 6 for MTA members ($10) and guests ($11). Call 627-9444 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* YOGA North Shore Yoga Co-op has yoga classes for all ages at Weinberg Community Center in Waialua. Donations accepted. Call 561-9639 or go to northshoreyoga.org.
* AEROBIC DANCE Malia Delapenia leads the aerobic dance class, Shimmy Fitness, at 7:15 p.m. Mondays at Mililani Rec Center I for MTA members and the public. Call 234-1006.
* PADDLE FITNESS Rainbow Watersports offers Stand Up Paddle Fitness classes Saturdays at Haleiwa Bay. Call 372-9304.
* HULA Kumu hula Ali’i Manu conducts non-competitive hula classes (auana, kahiko and the aloha spirit) at 7 p.m. Tuesdays at Mililani Uka Elementary. Men and women ages 15 and up are welcome. Call 478-2400.
* ESCRIMA Patrick Delos Santos leads Kali Escrima classes in Filipino self-defense (stick fighting) at 6:30 p.m. Wednesdays and 9:30 a.m. Saturdays at Mililani Waena Elementary. Fee is $50 per month. Call 398-0119.
* MUSIC, ART LIVE Haleiwa Joe’s hosts a Third Friday party from 6 p.m. to closing Aug. 16 at the Haleiwa restaurant, featuring art on the lawn, paint-your-own, free photo booth, music and happy hour (10 p.m. to midnight). Call 637-8005.
* PINEAPPLE FEST The 2013 Wahiawa Pineapple Festival is 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Aug. 17 at Wahiawa District Park. Food vendors call 621-6758, product vendors call 637-5337, organizations call 694-0103. The parade starts at 9 a.m. at Kaala Elementary and moves up California Avenue to the park.
* STAR PARTY Hawaiian Astronomical Society brings its telescopes and know-how to Dillingham Airfield from 6 p.m. to midnight once a month for a star-gazing party. The public is welcome but there are restrictions. Visit hawastsoc.org.
* ORCHIDS Kunia Orchid Society meets on the first Tuesday of every month from 7 to 9 p.m. at the Mililani District Park. All orchid enthusiasts are welcome. Call 221-8269.
* ART WALK The monthly Haleiwa Art Walk runs from 5 to 9 p.m. on the last Saturday of each month in Haleiwa town, featuring sales, activities and events hosted by dozens of merchants. Call 637-4558.
* CAREGIVERS The Central Oahu Caregivers coffer a support group at 7 p.m. on the second Thursday in the second-floor dining room of the Skilled Nursing Facility, Wahiawa General Hospital, 128 Lehua St. Everyone is welcome. Call 623-6707, 625-3782 or 621-6467.