Central Oahu Branches List Events For National Library Week
National Library Week is coming to Central Oahu in a big way, spread over several weeks, as patrons can choose among several free programs to celebrate it at Mililani Library, plus a special showcase at Waialua Library.
For details and updates, call 627-7470 (Mililani) or 637-8286 (Waialua). Each branch’s Friends group is supporting the events.
* Regimental Combat Team at 3 p.m. April 14 at Mililani – Learn all about the 442nd Regimental Combat Team with historian and author Pierre Moulin, who has traveled and written extensively about the famed Japanese American soldiers during World War II. He also will autograph his books, share stories and answer questions.
* Spotlight on Young Talent, 6 p.m. April 16 at Mililani – Local youths will “lift your spirits with their passion and commitment” as they entertain patrons through song, dance and musical instruments in a one-hour showcase.
* A special showcase by Greywolf at 10 a.m. April 16 at Waialua on “The Science of Tools, Armor and Weapons.” A Native American with more than 10 years’ experience in weapons smithing, Greywolf will present a hands-on experience with handcrafted weapons and antiques, period costumes and more. (See separate story on Page 11 about Waialua’s upcoming Easter and art offerings.)
* Robot building at 6 p.m. April 23 at Mililani – Teachers Peter Park and Dawn Robertson demonstrate how to build a LEGO Mindstorms NXT Robot. Register in advance to participate, or come as an observer.
* Meet the Doctors at 6:30 p.m. April 30 at Mililani – The Queen’s Medical Center West Oahu’s COO Susan Murray will share the services that will soon be available when the hospital opens May 20; and Dr. Alex Garber, orthopedic surgeon, will discuss arthritis symptoms and treatment. A Q&A session follows.
* Free Comics May 3 at Mililani – The library has one free comic book for each library card bearer, while supplies last, in observance of the 13th annual Free Comic Book Day, courtesy of Gecko Books & Comics, Collector Maniacs and the Friends.