Central Oahu Highlights
Email Central Oahu items to email@example.com or fax them to 585-6324. The next edition is Oct. 23, and the deadline is Oct. 16.
* SCHOOL’S OUT All public schools are closed Oct. 7-11 for fall break; and again Oct. 14 for Teachers Institute Day.
* THE QUEEN Kahuku Library hosts a free participatory program on Queen Lili’uokalani’s legacies at 6 p.m. Oct. 8, with readings, a sing-along, talk story and short film, narrated by Meleanna Aluli Meyer, a descendant of the queen’s confidante Emma Nawahi. Call 293-8935.
* SKATEBOARDER Turtle Bay Resort’s Surfer the Bar sponsors a talk-story and film program at 7:30 p.m. Oct. 9 with skate-boarder Rodney Mullen and his film Bones Brigade. Tickets cost $10 in advance. Proceeds go to charity. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 293-6000.
* BLOOD DRIVES H-awaii Blood Bank has donor drives from 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Oct. 9 and 10 at BYU-Hawaii ballroom, 7 a.m.-2 p.m. Oct. 19 and 26 at Mililani Town Center, Leilehua High Oct. 25 (call for details) and 7:30-11 a.m. Oct. 26 at Laie Shopping Center. Call 848-4770.
* PCC EXHIBIT Polynesian Cultural Center has an exhibit up of its first 50 years now through Oct. 10 at Honolulu Hale, featuring photos and key historical moments.
* CAREGIVERS Central Oahu Caregivers Support Group meets at 7 p.m. Oct. 10 at Wahiawa General Hospital, second floor dining room. Everyone is welcome. Call 623-6707.
* HALEIWA MUSIC Breakers Restaurant and Bar in Haleiwa presents Humble Soul and Jah Maoli at 9 p.m. Oct. 11. Tickets cost $15 at the door or $10 in advance. Call 637-9898.
* BLUEGRASS The Saloon Pilots play bluegrass from 9 p.m. to midnight Oct. 11 at Surfer the Bar at Turtle Bay Resort. Cover is $10. Call 293-6000. * ROYAL MUSIC The Royal Hawaiian Band performs at noon Oct. 12 at Mililani Town Center. Call 922-5331.
* HAUNTED DOLE Dole Plantation offers pre-sale tickets for its “reign of terror” through Oct. 12. The transformed site is open now through Oct. 31, featuring a haunted house (with 13 plantation curses) from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. daily. Nighttime scares from 7 to 11 p.m. on Fridays and Saturdays are the Trail of Terror maze, Nightmare Express train and special haunted house fright nights. Tickets cost $10 presale for each “scare” through Oct. 12, and $13 at the door after that. Visit dole-plantation.com or night-mareslive.com.
* MEETING DOGS Hawaii Dog Foundation hosts a “meet and greet” session with its adoptable dogs from noon to 2 p.m. Oct. 13 and 27 at Mililani Mauka Dog Park, 95-1069 Ukuwai St. Call 782-8387.
* POLO SUNDAYS Hawaii Polo Club presents a match between Hawaii and China at 2 p.m. Oct. 13, and the USPA Sportsman-ship Cup competition at 2 p.m. Oct. 20 on Mokuleia polo field. Admission is $10, $8 or $25 (clubhouse seats). Call 220-5153.
* NEIGHBORS Mililani Mauka-Launani Valley Neighborhood Board meets at 7 p.m. Oct. 15 at Mililani Mauka Elementary cafeteria, Wahiawa-Whitmore Village meets at 7 p.m. Oct. 21 at Wahiawa District Park, North Shore meets at 7 p.m. Oct. 22 at Haleiwa Elementary cafeteria, and Mililani-Waipio-Melemanu meets at 7:30 p.m. Oct. 23 at Mililani Rec Center III. Call 768-3710.
* THIRD FRIDAY Haleiwa Joe’s hosts a Third Friday live art and music event, Absolut Art, from 6 to 10 p.m. Oct. 18 at the Haleiwa venue, offering hands-on art, meeting artists plus live music and dancing. The after-party at 10 is for 21 and older and costs $10 cover. Call 637-8005.
* WAIPIO VENDERS Registration is open for vendors who wish to join the Pre-Holiday Swap Meet & Craft Fair, set for 8 a.m.-1 p.m. Oct. 19 at Waipio Shopping Center. Call 523-9744.
* BOOK SALE Friends of Waialua Library have a book sale from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Oct. 19 at the library. Call 637-8286. * PET COSTUMES PetSmart sponsors a Halloween costume party for pets from 9 to 11 a.m. Oct. 19 at Mililani Town Center, complete with prizes and photos. Call 489-9231.
* HEALTH CARE Volunteers from AARP Hawaii offer free power-point presentations on the new health care law (including materials) and how it may affect you at 6 p.m. Oct. 21 at Mililani Library (627-7470) and 1:15 p.m. and 6:15 p.m. Oct. 22 at Wahiawa Library (622-6345).
* ORCHIDS Orchid expert Scot Mitamura leads a class in orchid culture at 9:30 a.m. Oct. 24 at Wahiawa Botanical Garden. Fee is $3 for residents, $5 for non-residents. Call 522-7064.
* PROPAGATION Erin Purple leads a free class in plant propagation basics at 9 a.m. Oct. 25 at Wahiawa Botanical Garden. Call 522-7064.
* TOWN CENTER Mililani Town Center presents Zombie Zumba at 6 p.m. Oct. 25 (prizes for best zombie costume); Spook-tacular at 11 a.m. Oct. 26 with keiki costumes, games and prizes (plus pet adoptions from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.); and safe trick-or-treating and Hope Chapel choir from 5 to 8 p.m. Oct. 31. Call 625-0108.
* COACHES WANTED Hawaii Wrestling Officials Association seeks adults to officiate high school wrestling matches for the 2013-2014 season and no experience is necessary. Meetings begin at 6 p.m. Nov. 5 at Aiea High School gym. Call Stan Ono at 753-3968 or email email@example.com.
* ROLLER DERBY Aloha City Rollers’ Sneaky Tikis and Dash Dolls face each other at 4 p.m. Nov. 9 and Dec. 7 on the Mililani Roller Hockey Track, 95-1000 Makaunulau St. Call 454-3847.
* STORIES, FILMS Wahiawa Library sponsors a free storytime from 6 to 7:15 p.m. each Thursday and a free Movie Night at 5 p.m. each Tuesday. Call 622-6345.
* WAIPIO MARKET Kaiser Waipio Clinic hosts a “fresh day” market of healthy food and produce from 9 a.m. to noon each Wednesday at 94-1480 Moaniani St. Call 432-2270.
* PADDLE FITNESS Rainbow Watersports offers stand up paddle fitness classes Saturdays at Haleiwa Bay. Call 372-9304.
* HULA Kumu hula Ali’i Manu conducts non-competitive hula classes (auana, kahiko and the aloha spirit) for the community at 7 p.m. Tuesdays at Mililani Uka Elementary School. Men and women ages 15 and up are welcome. Call 478-2400.
* ESCRIMA Patrick Delos Santos offers Kali Escrima classes in Filipino self-defense (stick fighting) at 6:30 p.m. Wednesdays and 9:30 a.m. Saturdays at Mililani Waena Elementary School. Fee is $50 per month. Call 398-0119.
* STRIDERS The Leeward Stroller Strides group meets at 8:45 a.m. Tuesdays and Thursday at Central Oahu Regional Park, offering a fitness walk for moms and tots in strollers. Fee is $60 a month. A Schofield Barracks group meets at 8:45 a.m. Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Call 398-6275.
* JAZZERCISE Kate Moore leads low-impact, one-hour Jazzercise classes at 6 and 7 p.m. Mondays at Mililani District Park, and beginners are welcome. She also leads Jazzercise at 6:15 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays at Mililani Rec Center 5. Call 621-2482.
* KEIKI COUNCIL The Central District North Community Children’s Council meets at 5:30 p.m. the third Wednesday of each month in Mililani High School Room C101. All parents of children with special needs are welcome. Call 586-5363.
* QUEEN’S MARKET Lili’uokalani Church offers a Queen’s Open Market from 1 to 5 p.m. Sundays in Haleiwa with fresh produce, ono food and hand-crafted local items. Booth fee is $30. Vendors and entertainers are invited to call 637-9364.
* NORTH MARKET North Shore Country Market runs from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturdays at Sunset Beach Elementary School, selling Hawaii-made items exclusively. Vendors are welcome. Call 673-3296.
* WAIALUA CO-OP Waialua Farmers Co-op Market sells local produce, plants and more from 4:30 to 7 p.m. Wednesdays and 8:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturdays at Waialua Sugar Mill. Call 637-4439.
* WAHIAWA MART A farmers market is open from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. each Thursday in the Wahiawa Hongwanji Mission parking lot at 1067 California Ave. Visit wahiawacdbo.org.
* HALEIWA MARKET Haleiwa Farmers Market is open from 3 to 7 p.m. each Thursday in the Pikake Pavilion and main lawn at Waimea Valley. Call 388-9696.
* MILILANI MARKET Mililani High School hosts a Farmers Market from 8 to 11 a.m. Sundays in the gym parking lot. Call 848-2074.
* CITY MARKETS The People’s Open Market sells produce on Tuesdays from 10 to 11 a.m. at Wahiawa District Park and from 11:45 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at Mililani District Park. Call 522-7088.
* CONSERVATION The Oahu Army Natural Resource Program welcomes volunteers for its service trips and environmental outreach projects in the Waianae and Koolau mountains to control invasive weeds and more. Call Kim or Celeste at 656-7741.
* WRITERS Waialua Library writers group meets at 11 a.m. on the second Saturday of each month at the library. Call 637-8286.
* BALLET Weinberg Community Center has ballet classes for children (ages 4 to 18) at 67-174 Farrington Hwy. in Waialua. Call Kristin Rivers at 623-9062 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* SUP YOGA Judy Kosaka conducts SUP Yoga (yoga on a stand up paddle board) at 9:30 a.m. Sundays at Anahulu Stream in Haleiwa for $10 per lesson (bring your own board). Other training also is available. Call Aloha SUP Yoga at 627-9444 or email email@example.com.
* AIKIDO Mililani Aikido Club practices Tuesday and Thursday nights at Mililani District Park gym. Call 623-8937.
* KAHUKU MUSIC Turtle Bay Resort has three venues offering live music and/or hula several week-nights and weekend dates each month. Call 779-5546.
* GROUP YOGA Judy Kosaka leads group yoga classes at 7 p.m. Tuesdays in Mililani Rec Center 6 for MTA members ($10) and guests ($11). Call 627-9444 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* YOGA North Shore Yoga Co-op has yoga classes for all ages at the Weinberg Community Center in Waialua. Donations are appreciated. Call 561-9639 or go to northshoreyoga.org.
* AEROBIC DANCE Malia Delapenia offers the aerobic dance class Shimmy Fitness at 7:15 p.m. Mondays at Mililani Rec Center I for MTA members and the public. Call 234-1006.
* PUPUKEA SENIORS Pohai Na Makua o Pupukea seniors club meets monthly at 9:30 a.m. on the first Tuesday, August through May, at Sunset Beach Recreation Center. Call 638-7213.
* HALEIWA SENIORS The Haleiwa Seniors Club meets from 8 to 11:30 a.m. every Thursday at Waialua Community Association, across from Haleiwa post office. Arts and crafts teachers also are welcome to assist. Call 637-4606.
* WAHIAWA SENIORS The city sponsors weekly programs and activities for the Wahiawa Rainbows at 8:30 a.m. Mondays at Wahiawa District Park. Call 621-5663.
* WHITMORE CLUB The city sponsors weekly programs and activities for Whitmore Seniors Club at 9 a.m. Fridays at Whitmore Community Park. Call 622-2420.
* MARTIAL ARTS Galius Northshore Martial Art offers free karate-style classes for all ages from 7 to 8:30 p.m. on Mondays and Wednesdays at Waialua Community Association. Call 637-4606.
* LAUGHS Augie & Lanai’s Comedy Shack is in the house from 6:30 to 9 p.m. on the first Thursday of each month at Dot’s in Wahiawa. Showtime is 8 p.m., and admission is $12. Call 479-0576.
* ZUMBA Debbie Rosario leads an ongoing Zumba class at 6:45 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 8 a.m. Saturday at Mililani Waena Elementary. Fee is $5 per class or $45 per month. Call 780-5640.
* LIVE MUSIC Kemoo Farms has live music from 9 a.m. to 1 a.m. every Friday and Saturday at The Pub and Lakeside Lanai for ages 21 and older. Cover is $5. Call 621-1835.