Free Tax Help For West Needs
Free tax preparation assistance is available at several West Oahu sites now through late March to mid-April, especially for low-to moderate-income workers.
The Family and Individual Self-Sufficiency Program has trained volunteers at the following sites by appointment:
- Honolulu Community Action Program, Central District Service Center, 99-102 Kalaloa St. in Aiea — 9 a.m. to noon Tuesdays and Thursdays through April 5. Call 488-6834.
- Hickam Federal Credit Union, Kapolei branch
- 1 to 5 p.m. Mondays, and 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays through April 6. Call 423- 1391.
- Leeward Community College, Room BE 229 — 1:30 to 5:30 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays through March 21, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturdays through March 30. Walk-ins only.
The statewide service began in 2005 as a pilot program of Aloha United Way and is designed to alert taxpayers to valuable tax credits, save them money, encourage financial literacy and recruit and train others to work at the sites. For more details, visit hawaiitaxhelp.org.
Also, the AARP Foundation offers tax help to low-income residents, especially those age 60 and older. Call 545-6016 for details. Some of the sites are listed below:
- Waipahu Civic Center on Mokuola Street, 9 a.m. to noon Tuesdays (Tagalog and Ilocano spoken)
- Aiea United Methodist Church on Laulima Street, 9 a.m. to noon Tuesdays
- Kroc Center on Kualakai Parkway, 9 a.m. to noon Thursdays.