Everything About Surfing, On Land
Windward surfing fans are in for a treat at Turtle Bay Resort, which kicks off six weeks of films and talk story sessions Sept. 4 about famed watermen and their feats. Guest speakers will spice up the program at 7:30 p.m. each Wednesday through Oct. 9 at the resort’s Surfer the Bar.
Admission is $10 in advance, and all tickets sales are donated to a different nonprofit each night. For more information, email email@example.com. The schedule is below.
* Sept. 4 -World champion surfer, author, filmmaker and Pipeline master Shaun Tomson of South Africa is the first Talk Story guest, along with his award-winning film, Bustin’ Down the Door. Tomson was a key player in that 1975 time on Oahu’s North Shore that “changed its course forever.” Proceeds benefit Surfrider Foundation.
* Sept. 11 – Filmmakers Derek and Craig Hoffman and underwater cinematographer Mike Prickett will present and talk about the film Fiberglass & Megapixels, which has won multiple awards as it sheds light on the art of capturing the stunning best of Hawaii’s favorite sport.
* Sept. 18 – Producer Paul Taublieb and Eddie Aikau’s youngest brother Clyde will discuss Eddie’s life and achievements and show the film Hawaiian: The Legend of Eddie Aikau. Proceeds go to Eddie Aikau Foundation.
* Sept. 25 – Kailua’s Don King will show Beautiful Son, the very personal film he and his wife Julianne made about their efforts to heal their autistic son, Beau. It won two awards at the Hawaii International Film Festival. Proceeds go to Hawaii Autism Foundation.
* Oct. 2 – Film sleuth Doug Walker made The Lost & Found Collection after uncovering boxes of black-and-white surfing negatives at an L.A. flea market. The find also launched his hunt for surf-dom’s top photographers and surfers who were part of the collection. Proceeds go to Follow the Light Foundation.
* Oct. 9 – Skateboard maker and 2002 Skater of the Year Rodney Mullen produced Bones Brigade about six teenage boys (including himself) who rose to the top of the sport together. (Charity to be announced.)