East Oahu Highlights
Below are highlights of what’ s happening in East Oahu. Fax items by Oct. 31 to 585-6324 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. The next edition is Nov. 7.
• CANDIDATES Aina Haina Community Association presents a local candidates’ forum at 6:45 p.m. Oct. 3 at Aina Haina Elementary, featuring short talks and questions for Jeremy Low and Mark Hashem (House); Sam Slom and Kurt LaJala (Senate); and Kevin Takata and Keith Kaneshiro (City Prosecutor). Call 696-7061.
• SENIORS Hawaii Kai Retirement Community hosts an Oktoberfest at noon Oct. 4, a fall prevention seminar at 10:30 a.m. Oct. 5 and a “Harvest Palooza” at 10:30 a.m. Oct. 6. All seniors are welcome. The facility is at 428 Kawaihae St. Call 395-9599.
• POLITICAL RALLY The Linda Lingle for Senate Committee sponsors a rally from6to8p.m.Oct.6in Kaiser High cafeteria. Email email@example.com.
• MAMIYA CONCERT Lamaku Society and Halau Na Wainohia present Kamau Pono XV — Ka ‘Ukulele A Ka Hula (The ‘Ukulele and the Hula) at 7 p.m. Oct. 6 at Mamiya Theatre. Emceed by Ray Lovell, it features kumu hula Tony Conjugation and guest artists Ohta-san, Herb Ohta Jr., Alvin “Pops” Okami, Dwight Kanae and Keao Costa. Tickets cost $25. Visit lamakusociety.com.
• MUSICAL Diamond Head Theatre presents the musical Funny Girl now through Oct. 7, with one additional show at 4 p.m. Oct. 14. Single tickets cost $15 to $50. Call 733-0274.
• BLOOD DRIVES Hawaii Blood Bank has donor drives from 7 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Oct. 7 at Kaimuki Christian Church and Hawaii Kai Library; 8 a.m.-2:30 p.m. Oct. 16 at KCC by Ohia building, 7 a.m.-1:45 p.m. Oct. 28 at Kahala Mall, and 9:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Oct. 31 at Prudential Locations on Kapahulu. Call 848-4711.
• KAHALA STAGE Kahala Mall presents Ka Hale I ‘O Kahala Halau Hula at noon Oct. 7. Call 732-7736.
• ST. LOUIS MEETS The St. Louis Heights Community Association meets at 7 p.m. Oct. 8 at Hokulani Elementary. Call 737-5654.
• NUTRITION Vegetarian Society of Hawaii presents UH chemistry professor Karl Seff at 7 p.m. Oct. 9 at Ala Wai Clubhouse to discuss “Confessions of a Low-class Vegan.” Call 944- 8344.
• eWASTE Pacific Corporate Solutions has an e-waste recycling drive from 8a.m.to3p.m.Oct.13at Kaiser High, accepting computers, monitors, laptops, printers, fax machines, servers, telecom equipment and wires. Call 488-8872.
• MUSHROOMS Kahala Hotel & Resort has Mushroom and Montrachet cooking classes Oct. 13, 20 and 27 at Hoku’s. Fee is $85 per person per class plus tip. Call 739-8760.
• PIANO RECITAL Students of Niu Valley piano teacher Setsuko Devens have their annual free recital, “An Afternoon of Piano Solos,” at 2 p.m. Oct. 14 in Orvis Auditorium at UH Manoa. Call 373-4234.
• NETWORKING The Hawaii Kai Chamber of Commerce hosts a networking luncheon from noon to 1:30 p.m. Oct. 25 at Outback Steakhouse in Hawaii Kai. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• SAINTHOOD A concert honoring Hawaii’s newest saint, Blessed Marianne Cope, is set for 7 p.m. Nov. 1 at Mystical Rose Oratory at Chaminade. The event opens a liturgy and arts conference on the campus, following the Oct. 21 canonization ceremonies in Rome. Call 232-6691.
• MERMAID Sacred Hearts Academy presents Disney’s The Little Mermaid Nov. 1 to 11. Call 739- 4886.
• KAISER GALA Kaiser High School Foundation hosts a Distinguished Awards Dinner at 5 p.m. Nov. 18 at Hawaii Prince Hotel to honor outstanding alumni, educators and community members. RSVP to KHSFoundation@gmail.co m by Nov. 4.