East Oahu Highlights
Below are highlights of what’s happening in East Oahu. Fax items by Aug. 1 to 585-6324 or email email@example.com. The next edition is Aug. 8.
* OIA COACHES The OIA Independent Football Officials meet with new and interested coaches at 6:30 p.m. July 2 in Hirata Hall at McKinley High School, with registration starting at 5:30. A $30 deposit is requested for training booklets and materials. Follow-ups are planned for 6:30 p.m. July 5 and 9, also at McKinley. Call Jim Beavers at 748-1518.
* THE RONALD “Book Time with Ronald McDonald” is at 1:30 p.m. July 3 at Aina Haina Library. Call 377-2456.
* HANAUMA TALKS Hanauma Bay Preserve offers free lectures by marine environment specialists at 6:30 p.m. July 5 and each Thursday at its theater. Call 396-4229 or 956-7031.
* NEIGHBORS Kuliouou-Kalani Iki Neighborhood Board meets at 7 p.m. July 5 at Aina Haina Library, Palolo meets at 7 p.m. July 11 at Palolo Elementary, Diamond Head-KapahuluSt. Louis Heights at 7 p.m. July 12 at Ala Wai Clubhouse, Kaimuki at 7 p.m. July 18 at Kaimuki Christian Church Fellowship Hall, Waialae-Kahala at 7 p.m. July 19 at Hoaloha Kai Montessori School and Hawaii Kai at 7 p.m. July 31 at Hahaione Elementary cafeteria. Call 768-3710.
* RUMMAGE Kaimuki Middle School has a rummage sale from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. July 7 in the cafeteria to benefit its music program. Call 734-4437.
* SCRAP SLAP Hawaii Kai Community Church’s “Scrap and Slap” group has a free public photo solutions workshop (digital and traditional) from 1 to 5 p.m July 8 at 6650 Hawaii Kai Drive, second floor, in Koko Head Plaza. Call Betz at 265-1296.
* ST. LOUIS MEETS St. Louis Heights Community Association meets at 7 p.m. July 9 at Saint Louis Learning Technology Center (next to Mamiya Theatre). The agenda includes a briefing by the city on the fate of Bus Route 14, followed by a candidates forum with Peter Carlisle and Kirk Caldwell. Call 737-5654.
* NUTRITION The Vegetarian Society of Hawaii presents Erik Marcus, publisher and animal agribusiness specialist, at 7 p.m. July 10 at Ala Wai Clubhouse. His topic: “The End of Factory Farming.” Call 944-8344.
* BLOOD DRIVES Hawaii Blood Bank has donor drives from 11:30 a.m. to 3:45 p.m. July 12 at the Kahala Hotel, 2:30-7 p.m. July 13 at Hawaii Kai Library, 7 a.m.-1 p.m. July 15 at Kahala Mall, 9:30 a.m.-2 p.m. July 17 at Foodland headquarters (in Kaimuki Municipal Parking Lot), and 7:30 a.m.-1 p.m. July 29 at Kaimuki High School (One Love Ministries). Call 848-4711.
* EQUALITY Equality Hawaii Foundation sponsors an “Equality Gayla” from 7 to 10 p.m. July 20 at Kathy Ireland’s Niu Valley shoreline estate to support advocacy for gays, lesbians, bisexual and transgender people. Suggested donation is $100 for gourmet pupus, host bar, silent auction and awards presentations. Visit equalityhawaii.org/gayla.
* DICKENS Ohana Arts Musical Theater presents Oliver! at 7:30 p.m. July 20 and 21, and 2 p.m. July 21 and 22 at Mamiya Theater – a full staged production with a cast of 50 youths and a live orchestra. Tickets cost $15. Call 1-800-838-3006.
* CAR WASH Outrigger Hotels Hawaii staff have a car wash from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. July 21 at the Waialae Chevron on behalf of the Visitor Industry Charity Walk. Presale tickets cost $5 and $8 or $10 that day. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* SERENADE Sean Na’auao does a free concert in the Sunset Serenade series at 5:30 p.m. July 21 at Hawaii Kai Towne Center’s waterfront stage. Call 227-0988.
* SKIN CARE Kaiser Permanente presents a free Senior Summit lecture on Basic Skin Care with licensed aesthetician Dawn-elle Sunada at 11:45 a.m. July 24 at the KaimukiWaialae YMCA. Call 737-5544.
* KEIKI SING Semi-finals of the Kahala Mall “Sing 2012” competition begin at 6 p.m. July 25-26, featuring 24 performers at center stage. Call 732-7736.
* STARGAZING Hawaii Astronomical Society brings telescopes to Kahala Community Park (3221 Waialae Ave.) from 6 to 10 p.m. July 28 for stargazing. Email email@example.com.
* CHAMBER TALK State Rep. Gene Ward is guest speaker at the Hawaii Kai Chamber of Commerce meeting at noon Aug. 2 at Hawaii Kai’s Outback Steakhouse. Non-members pay $20. Go to hikaicoc.com or call 395-8840.