East Oahu Highlights
Send items by Jan. 28 to email@example.com for the Feb. 4 edition.
• WARD SUMMITS State Rep. Gene Ward sponsors a Coffee Summit at 5:30 p.m. Jan. 6 at Zippy’s Koko Marina, and a Beer Summit at 5:30 p.m. Jan. 8 at Kona Brewing Pub, also in Koko Marina. Call 586-6420.
• FLOOD TIPS Hawaii Kai Strong conducts a public information session on preparing for floods at 7 p.m. Jan. 7 at Kamiloiki Elementary cafeteria. Next up: Earthquakes at 7 p.m. Feb. 4 at Kamiloiki. Call 395-5406 or send an email to Matt Glei at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• NEIGHBORS Diamond Head-Kapahulu-St. Louis Heights Neighborhood Board meets at 6:30 p.m. Jan. 8 at Ala Wai Clubhouse, Waialae-Kahala meets at 7 p.m. Jan. 15 at Wesley United Methodist Church, Kaimuki meets at 7 p.m. Jan. 21 at Kaimuki Christian Church hall, and Hawaii Kai meets at 7 p.m. Jan. 27 at Hahaione Elementary cafeteria. Call 768-3710.
• KAHALA PERMIT The city Department of Planning and Permitting conducts a public hearing at 10:30 a.m. Jan. 9 at Kahala Community Park on an SMA and shoreline setback permit request to build a new 16,500-square-foot home, a 6,690-square-foot staff/guest residence, a 3,820-square-foot garage and accessory structures at 4465 and 4469 Kahala Ave. (former Genshiro Kawamoto properties). The requests also cover a new, 120-foot-long revetment along the shoreline, plus stone walk-way, viewing areas and a steel cable fence. Call 768-8024.
• HANAUMA TALKS Hanauma Nature Preserve hosts a free public lecture at 3 p.m. Jan. 11 in Cynthia Bond Memorial Theater on Hawaii bottomfish by Justin Hospital of the Pacific Islands Fisheries Science Center; fishpond permit challenges Jan. 18, and Hawaiian green turtles Jan. 25. Parking costs $1. Call 397-5840.
• ALZHEIMER HELP An Alzheimer’s support group meets at 7 p.m. Jan. 12 (and the second Monday of each month) at Kilohana United Methodist Church, room 6. Call 591-2771.
• VEGGIES Dr. Terry Shintani discusses his book, The Peace Diet: How to Reverse Disease in 10 Days, at 7 p.m. Jan. 13 at Ala Wai Clubhouse during a public meeting of the Vegetarian Society of Hawaii. Call 944-8344.
• CAREER NIGHT Coldwell Banker Pacific Properties hosts a free career night for all independent real estate agents at 6 p.m. Jan. 14 at its Kahala Mall rooftop office. RSVP to 748-3410.
• THIRD FRIDAY Third Friday Kaimuki runs from 5 to 9 p.m. Jan. 16, showcasing dozens of restaurants, shops and bars on Waialae Avenue. Merchants plan entertainment, demonstrations and free samples. Visit kaimukihawaii.com.
• CLEAN KAIMUKI Kaimuki Christian Church leads a monthly community cleanup and graffiti wipe-out from 8 a.m. to noon Jan. 17, meeting first in the Ekahi House garage on Mahina Avenue; volunteers welcome. Call 735-1771.
• BLOOD DRIVES Hawaii Blood Bank has donor drives from 7 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Jan. 21 at Kaimuki High School, 8 a.m.-2:15 p.m. Jan. 22 at Chaminade’s Ching Conference Center, and 7-11 a.m. Jan. 25 at Koko Marina Center. Call 848-4770.
• NIU VALLEY DRIVE Niu Valley Middle School has an Aloha ‘Aina recycling drive from 9 a.m. to noon Jan. 24, accepting everything from scrap metal and computers to used cooking oil and corrugated cardboard. Email email@example.com.
• STARGAZING Hawaiian Astronomical Society brings telescopes to its free monthly star party Jan. 24 at Kahala Community Park, 4495 Pahoa Ave. Times vary, depending on the moon. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• PAGEANT The Miss Latina Hawaii 2015 pageant starts at 5 p.m. Jan. 24 at Mamiya Theater. Tickets cost $20 in advance at hispaniceventshawaii.com/Miss LatinaHawaii, or $30 at the door.
• SHARON’S RACE Epilepsy Foundation sponsors Sharon’s Ride-Run-Walk at 7 a.m. Jan. 25; start and end at KCC. Call 528-3058 or email email@example.com.
• GREETING CARDS Sharie Torres teaches how to make unique greeting cards at 6 p.m. Jan 27 at Kaimuki Library. Call 733-8422.
• BOOK SALE The Friends of Hawaii Kai Library book store sells all sports, health and fitness materials at half price in January. Hours are 12:30-4:30 p.m. Monday, 10 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Tuesday-Thursday, and 9:30 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturdays in the basement (closed Jan. 19). Call 397-0515.
• MOCKINGBIRD Diamond Head Theatre presents Harper Lee’s To Kill a Mockingbird Jan. 30-Feb. 16, including a special “talk back” session Feb. 8 with cast and crew. Tickets cost $15 to $35. For reservations, visit diamondheadtheatre.com.