East Oahu Highlights
Send East Oahu items by fax to 585-6324 or email email@example.com. The next edition is April 2, and deadline is March 26.
* BOOK SALES The Friends of Hawaii Kai Library book store offers half price in March on all home and garden books. Hours are 12:30-4:30 p.m. Monday, 10 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Tuesday-Thursday and 9:30 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday. Call 397-0515.
* SUMMITS Rep. Gene Ward’s chief of staff Paige Altonn hosts a coffee summit from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. March 4 at Zippy’s and a beer summit from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. March 6 at Kona Brewing Co. Pub, both at Koko Marina (586-6420).
* EATING RIGHT Kaiser Permanente has a free Senior Summit with a dietitian on “Enjoy the Taste of Eating Right” at 12:45 p.m. March 7 at Kaimuki-Waialae YMCA (737-5544).
* WAIALAE FAIR Waialae School marks its 85th year with a fun fair from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. March 8, offering music by Weldon Kekauoha, arts, crafts, a country store, silent auction, art exhibit, games, activities, bouncers and plenty of food. Call 733-4880.
* WETLAND WORK Volunteers can join Livable Hawaii Kai Hui for a work-day March 8 at Hawea Heiau and Keawawa Wet-land Complex. Meet from 8:30 a.m. to noon on Hawaii Kai Drive near Keahole Street. Call 864-8081.
* ORGANIZED Simply Organized at Kahala Mall has a FreedomRail mini-demo at 1 p.m. March 8, Alice Inoue’s insights at 9 a.m. March 22 and a lesson in downsizing and decluttering at 9 a.m. March 29. Call 739-7007.
* STREAM HELP Malama Maunalua removes debris from Niu Stream from 9 to 11:30 a.m. March 8 and April 12. Signups begin at 8:30 on the mauka side of Niu Valley Shopping Center. Call 395-5050.
* BLOOD DRIVES Hawaii Blood Bank has donor drives from 7 a.m. to noon March 9 at Hawaii Kai Library, 8-11 a.m. March 15 at Foodland Supermarket (Kaimuki parking lot), 7-11 a.m. March 29 at Koko Marina Center, and 7 a.m.-noon March 30 at Kahala Mall. Call 848-4770..
* VEGGIE TALKAuthor Zoe Weil shares “Doing the Most Good and Least Harm when You Eat” at 7 p.m. March 11 at Ala Wai Clubhouse at a Vegetarian Society meeting (944-8344).
* ART WORKSHOPS Art Explorium leads several keiki workshops in March in Kaimuki: superhero dance-off, garden game-boards, sun photos and much more. Call 312-4316.
* CLEAN KAIMUKI Kaimuki Christian Church has a community cleanup and graffiti wipe-out from 8 a.m. to noon March 15, meeting first in the garage of Ekahi House on Mahina Avenue. Volunteers are welcome. Call 735-1771.
* RAIN GARDENS Malama Maunalua gives tours of area rain gardens from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. March 15 and April 19, from Koko Head District Park. Call 395-5050.
* ROYAL MUSIC The Royal Hawaiian Band plays at 1 p.m. March 16 at Kahala Mall. Call 922-5331.
* MEATBALLS Hawaii Kai Library screens the free animated film Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 at 2:30 p.m. March 18. Call 397-5833.
* THIRD FRIDAY Third Friday Kaimuki runs from 5 to 9 p.m. March 21on Waialae between Koko Head and 8th avenues.Visit kaimukihawaii.com.
* AFRO SOUL FUNK Good Foot and Jive Slinky play at On Stage from 8 p.m. to midnight March 21 in a free show at 802 Kapahulu Ave. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* SHOW BOAT Diamond Head Theatre presents the Broadway musical classic Show Boat March 28-April 13. Call 733-0274.
* HUKI DAYS Malama Maunalua plans a “huki event” at 9 a.m. March 29 at Kuliouou Beach Park to remove algae from the bay. Call 395-5050.
* MAD HATTER Livable Hawaii Kai Hui plans its Mad Hatter Garden Party April 12 to benefit the wet-land and heiau complex. For updates, visit hawaiikaihui.org.