East Oahu Highlights
Send East Oahu items by fax to 585-6324 or email email@example.com. The next edition is June 5, and deadline is May 29.
* OHANA FESTIVAL Saint Louis School has its Ohana Festival from 1 to 6 p.m. May 3 with entertainment, food, games and prizes to support classroom and campus improvements. Call 739-7777.
* SANDY CLEANUP Sierra Club volunteers clean up the Sandy Beach area from 8:30 to 10:30 a.m. May 5; the group also tours KCC’s Cactus and Succulent Garden at 9 a.m. May 5. Call 538-6616.
* TOWN HALL State Rep. Gene Ward hosts a post-session town hall meeting from 6:30 to 8 p.m. May 7 at Hahaione Elementary School. Call 586-6420.
* BEER TALK State Rep. Gene Ward hosts a “beer summit” from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. May 9 at Kona Brewing Co. Pub at Koko Marina. Call 586-6420.
* ST. LOUIS MEETS St. Louis Heights Community Association meets at 7 p.m. May 13 at Hokulani Elementary. Call 737-5654.
* PET FUNDS Bubbies at Koko Marina hosts an ice cream social from 5 to 9 p.m. May 14, donating all sales proceeds during that time to a fund to find homes for pets abandoned at Hawaii Kai Park and Ride. Call Steve Geimer at 294-0207.
* FOOD HEALTH Master herbalist Steve Blake, Sc.D., discusses “Arthritis: A Nutritional Approach” at 7 p.m. May 14 at Ala Wai Clubhouse during the Vegetarian Society of Hawaii meeting; the public is welcome. Call 944-8344.
* THIRD FRIDAY Third Friday Kaimuki celebration runs from 6 to 9 p.m. May 17, featuring dozens of restaurants, shops and bars on Waialae between Koko Head and 8th avenues. Visit kaimukihawaii.com.
* ORGANIZED Simply Organized offers a free class on “Downsizing and Decluttering” at 1 p.m. May 18 at its Kahala Mall store. Call 739-7007.
* TRASH PICKUP Kaimuki Christian Church volunteers pick up trash and remove graffiti from 8 a.m. to noon May 19 with lunch provided. Call 735-1771.
* RIDGE HIKE Sierra Club hikes from Mariners Ridge to Kuliouou in a 7-mile strenuous trek at 8 a.m. May 19. Call 538-6616 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* CYCLING TIPS Hawaii Bicycling League instructors lead a two-hour Commuter Cycling 101 class from 1 to 3 p.m. May 25 in KCC’s Iliahi 104. Topics are safe practices, cyclist rights, rules of the road, equipment safety checks, lane positioning and more, including practice drills outside and a group ride. Space is limited. Call 735-5756 or visit hbl.org.
* HANAUMA TALKS Hanauma Nature Preserve hosts free lectures this month at 6:30 p.m. Thursdays in its Cynthia Bond Memorial Theater. Call 397-5840.
* PHOTO HIKE Sierra Club plans an easy, 2-mile photo hike of Koko Crater Botanical Garden at 8 a.m. June 2. Call 538-6616 or email email@example.com.
* WEIGHT LOSS Hawaii Kai Kaiser Clinic hosts Weight Watchers meetings at 6 p.m. Thursdays. Call 1-800-651-6000.