Central Oahu Highlights
Email Central Oahu items to email@example.com by May 7 for the May 14 edition.
* GLOBETROTTERS The renowned Harlem Globetrotters perform at 7 p.m. April 28 at BYU-Hawaii’s Cannon Activities Center. For ticket information, visit harlemglobetrotters.com/hawaii.
* DOCTOR TALK Mililani Library presents “Meet the Doctors” at 6:30 p.m. April 30, with Queen’s Medical Center West Oahu Hospital’s COO Susan Murray and Dr. Alex Garber, orthopedic surgeon. They will discuss arthritis symptoms and treatment. followed by a Q&A session. Call 627-7470.
* MAY DAY Waimea Valley hosts May Day festivities from 2 to 5 p.m. May 1 with hula, music and cultural demonstrations on the Main Lawn, plus a lei contest (drop off from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the visitor center for judging). The farmers market also is open from 3 to 7 p.m at the Pikake Pavilion. Call 638-7766.
* BUSINESS EXPO North Shore Chamber of Commerce hosts its annual Business Expo, “The North Shore Experience: Learn, Grow Prosper,” from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. May 2 at Waimea Valley. Call 637-5668.
* FREE COMICS Mililani Library has free comic books May 3, while supplies last (one per library card carrier), in observance of the 13th annual Free Comic Book Day, courtesy of Gecko Books & Comics, the Friends of Mililani Library and Collector Maniacs. Call 627-7470.
* CRAFT FAIR Mililani Town Association has a craft fair from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. May 3 at Rec Center 5 with 70-plus local vendors, makeup and skin care, mini massages, food, prizes and a free shuttle from the Park & Ride. Call 623-7300.
* PARKINSON’S A Parkinson’s support group meets at 1 p.m. May 3 at Waialua United Church of Christ, 67-174 Farrington Hwy. Call 637-5934.
* PUPUKEA HIKE Hawaiian Islands Land Trust leads a free hike and “talk story” from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. May 3 at Pupukea Ranch to learn about farming under the direction of Bill Haws. RSVP to Christina Aiu at 244-5263 and meet at Pu’u O Mahuka heiau.
* MILILANI FAIR Mililani Town Center hosts a craft fair from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. May 3, with proceeds going to Performing Artists Academy. For sale are crystal jewelry, honey canes, Sysani Sponges, Nerium, Kettle Corn, baked goods, Tupperware, Kyani and more. Call 682-5857.
* HALEIWA MUSIC Singer-songwriter Ron Artis II (371-3895) plays at 6 p.m. May 3 at Jerry’s Pizza in Waialua as part of a spring concert tour, and Summer Kealoha entertains at 7 p.m. May 10. Call Jerry’s at 637-8866.
* BLOOD DRIVES Hawaii Blood Bank has donor drives from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. May 3 and 17 at Mililani Town Center, 7:45 a.m.-2:30 p.m. May 9 at Kahuku High School, and 7:30 a.m.-1:15 p.m. May 12 at Waialua High & Intermediate. Call 848-4770.
* BANDSTAND Waialua Bandstand presents the Waialua High & Intermediate School band’s Wind Ensemble at 4 p.m. May 4. Call 637-9721.
* SEUSSICAL Central Theatre Academy of Arts presents Seussical, a romping musical re-creation of 18 Dr. Seuss stories running May 4, 9 and 10 at Mililani High cafeteria. Tickets cost $12, $10 and $5 – plus a dinner show May 9 for $30, $25 and $17. Times vary. Go to showtix4u.com or call 627-4356 for menu and ticket information.
* POLO MATCHES Hawaii Polo Club presents a Cinco de Mayo celebration May 4, a Mother’s Day tournament May 11, and Argentina vs. Hawaii May 18 and 25. Gates open at 11 a.m. each Sunday on the Mokuleia field, and polo is at 2 p.m. Admission is $10, or $25 for clubhouse seats. Call 226-0061.
* BOT BENEFIT Dole Plantation hosts a benefit luau from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. May 8 for the Waialua High School robotics team, featuring entertainment by Manoa DNA. Tickets cost $40 each and are available (through April 30) at the plantation, and also from robotics students; or call 637-8200.
* CAREGIVERS The Central Oahu Caregivers conduct a support group at 7 p.m. May 8 at Wahiawa General Hospital. Everyone is welcome. Call 623-6707.
* WAIMEA HIKE Hawaiian Trail & Mountain Club leads a 7-mile intermediate hike up Keanaloa Ridge to Pupukea at 8:30 a.m. May 10, meeting first at the Waimea Valley parking lot. Visit htmclub.org.
* LIBRARY DOINGS Waialua Library hosts its writers group at 11 a.m. May 10 and concludes the Waialua High & Intermediate School Art Show May 13. It also leads a free Children’s Story Time at 10 a.m. each Saturday, a book sale from 9 a.m. to 2 pm. May 17 and a readers group discussion of Maya Angelou’s I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings at 9:30a.m. May 22. Call 637-8286.
* GARDENERS Mililani Garden Club meets at 9:30 a.m. May 15 at Mililani Mauka Rec Center 6 for a program, demonstration or excursion. The public is welcome. Call 637-0488.
* KAHUKU HIKE Hawaii Nature Center leads a hike along the Kahuku coast at 9 a.m. May 17 for families and hikers age 7 and older. Fee is $10 for nonmembers. Call 955-0100, ext. 118.
* PINE RUN The 39th annual 10K Wahiawa Pineapple Run is set for 7 a.m. May 17 with free pineapples and prizes at the finish line. The race starts and ends at Kaala Elementary School with a run through the Wahiawa hills and surrounding pineapple fields in between. Fee is $40, or $50 after May 8 at active.com. For more, call 653-0088 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* WAHIAWA HIKE Hawaiian Trail & Mountain Club leads a 3.9-mile intermediate hike in the Wahiawa hills at 8 a.m. May 18. Visit htmclub.org.
* HUOA GOLF Hawaii United Okinawa Association plans its 44th annual invitational golf tourney May 24 and 25 at Pali Golf Course. Deadline is May 10 to sign up. Fee is $130. Call 676-5400.
* OHANA Waimea Valley sponsors La Ohana (family day) from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on the third Sunday of the month (through December), with half-price admission for kamaaina and military. The day includes a scavenger hunt, stories, hula, lei making, petroglyph rubs, cultural demonstrations and makahiki games. Call 638-7766.
* CRESTVIEW CLUB The Crestview Seniors Club meets from 9:30 a.m. to noon Fridays at Crestview Community Park for activities and outings. All residents age 55 and older are welcome. Call Guy at 671-4838.
* SENIOR CLASSES Anuenue Hale Wellness Center at Helemano offers a variety of free weekday classes and activities for seniors, injured war veterans and those with disabilities. Call Yvonne at 622-3929.
* ZUMBA Debbie Rosa-rio leads Zumba classes at 6:45 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 9 a.m. Saturday at Mililani Waena Elementary. Fee is $5 per class or $45 per month. Call 780-5640.
* ALZHEIMER HELP An Alzheimer’s support group meets at 6:30 p.m. on the fourth Wednesday of the month at The Plaza in Mililani. Call 591-2771.
* MILILANI SENIORS The Mililani Golden Years seniors club meets from 9:30 a.m. to noon Fridays at Mililani District Park for activities. All those age 55 and older are welcome. Call 623-5258.
* PUPUKEA SENIORS Pohai Na Makua o Pupukea seniors club meets monthly at 9:30 a.m. on the first Tuesday, August through May, at Sunset Beach Recreation Center. Call 638-7213.
* HALEIWA SENIORS The Haleiwa Seniors club meets from 8 to 11:30 a.m. every Thursday at Waialua Community Association, across from Haleiwa post office. Arts and crafts teachers also are welcome to assist. Call 637-4606.
* WAHIAWA SENIORS The city sponsors weekly programs and activities for the Wahiawa Rainbows at 8:30 a.m. Mondays at Wahiawa District Park. Call 621-5663.
* WHITMORE CLUB The city sponsors weekly programs and activities for Whitmore Seniors Club at 9 a.m. Fridays at Whitmore Community Park. Call 622-2420.
* TOASTMASTERS Mililani Toastmasters Club meets at 7:30 p.m. Mondays at Mililani Ike Elementary School to help members improve their public speaking and leadership skills. Call 220-5093.
* STORIES, FILMS Wahiawa Library sponsors a free storytime from 6 to 7:15 p.m. each Thursday and a free Movie Night at 5.30 p.m. each Tuesday. Almost every Saturday at 2 p.m., the movie from Tuesday is shown again. Call 622-6345.
* PADDLE FITNESS Rainbow Watersports offers Stand Up Paddle Fitness classes Saturdays at Haleiwa Bay. Call 372-9304.
* ESCRIMA Patrick Delos Santos leads Kali Escrima classes in Filipino self-defense at 6:30 p.m. Wednesdays and 9:30 a.m. Saturdays at Mililani Waena Elementary. Monthly fee is $50. Call 398-0119.
* KEIKI COUNCIL The Central District North Community Children’s Council meets at 5 p.m. on the third Tuesday in Mililani High School Room C101. All parents of children with special needs are welcome. Call 586-5363.