Central Oahu Highlights
Email Central Oahu items to email@example.com by April 23 for the April 30 edition.
* LEI MAKING Wahiawa Botanical Garden offers a workshop on Succulent Lei Haku (wili method) at 12:30 p.m. April 15 ($10) and a workshop on Ti Leaf Lei at 12:30 p.m. April 22 ($5). Call 522-7066.
* NEIGHBORS Mililani Mauka-Launani Valley Neighborhood Board meets at 7 p.m. April 15 at Mililani Mauka Elementary, and Mililani-Waipio-Melemanu meets at 7:30 p.m. April 23 at Mililani Rec Center III. Call 768-3710.
* HALEIWA MUSIC Singer-songwriter Ron Artis II of Waialua performs at 5 p.m. April 18 at Haleiwa Joe’s in Haleiwa and 6 p.m. May 3 at Jerry’s Pizza in Waialua as part of his spring concert tour. Visit ronartisfamilyband.com or call 371-3895.
* BLOOD DRIVE Hawaii Blood Bank has a donor drive from 7 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. April 19 at Mililani Town Center. Call 848-4770.
* RECYCLING Mililani Ki-Aikido Club has a Going Green recycling drive from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. April 19 at 95-257 Kaloapau St., accepting all kinds of recyclable items, plus canned food, hearing aids, eyeglasses, pet food and clothing. Call 291-6151.
* MTC EASTER Mililani Town Center celebrates Easter from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. April 19 with a Chinese lion dance, mini games, egg hunt, pictures with the Easter Bunny, a blood drive and the Hawaii Foodbank Drive (5 a.m.-5 p.m.). Call 625-0108.
* POLO MATCHES Hawaii Polo Club pits Wealth Strategy Partners (WSP) against Mokuleia in the April 20 Easter tournament. WSP vies for the Francis Brown Trophy against Waikiki Polo April 27. Gates open at 11 a.m. each Sunday on the Mokuleia field, and polo is at 2 p.m. Admission is $10, or $25 for clubhouse seats. Call 226-0061.
* WAIMEA EASTER Waimea Valley serves an Easter brunch and La Ohana (family day) April 20 with seatings at 10 a.m. and noon ($38.95, $18.95), an egg hunt at 11:30 a.m. and family activities throughout the day. Call 638-7766.
* CAR SEATS Kaiser Permanente offers free checkups of child car seats from 3:30 to 6 p.m. April 23 at Kamaaina Kids Preschool in Mililani Tech Park, 345 Kahelu Ave. Call 432-2260.
* HALEIWA ZONING The city Department of Planning and Permitting conducts a hearing at 10 a.m. April 24 at Mission Memorial Building on a permit to continue mixed use of non-conforming and historic structure (including Ishimoto Store) at 66-520, 526 and 528 Kamehameha Hwy. Call 768-8056.
* SEUSSICAL Central Theatre Academy of Arts presents Seussical, a romping musical recreation of 18 of Dr. Seuss stories running April 25, 26, and May 4, 9 and 10 at Mililani High School cafeteria. Tickets cost $12, $10 and $5 – plus a dinner show May 9 for $30, $25 and $17. Times varies. Go to showtix4u.com or call 627-4356 for menu and ticket information.
* WAIPIO SWAPS Waipio Shopping Center hosts its Spring Swap Meet and Craft Fair from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. April 26. Visit shop-waipio.com or call 523-9744.
* OLD DRUGS The National Take-Back Initiative accepts unused or expired medications for safe, anonymous disposal from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. April 26 at Mililani Town Center (north end) and Schofield Barracks Exchange (near flower shop). The event is sponsored by the Diversion Control Division of the U.S. Department of Justice. Call 541-1930.
* CRAFT VENDORS Mililani Town Center plans a craft fair from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. May 3 to benefit the Performing Arts Academy. Crafters are invited to call 682-5857.
* GARDENERS Mililani Garden Club meets at 9:30 a.m. on the third Thursday at Mililani Mauka Rec Center 6 for a program, demonstration or excursion. The public is welcome. Call 637-0488.
* OHANA Waimea Valley sponsors La Ohana (family day) from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on the third Sunday of the month (through December), with half-price admission for kamaaina and military families. The day includes a scavenger hunt, stories, hula, lei making, petroglyph rubs, cultural demonstrations and makahiki games. Call 638-7766.
* CRESTVIEW CLUB Crestview Seniors Club meets from 9:30 a.m. to noon each Friday at Crestview Community Park for planned fun activities and outings. All residents age 55 and older are welcome. Call Guy at 671-4838.
* SENIOR CLASSES Anuenue Hale Wellness Center at Helemano offers a variety of free weekday classes and activities for seniors, injured war veterans and those with disabilities. Call Yvonne at 622-3929.
* ZUMBA Debbie Rosario leads ongoing Zumba classes at 6:45 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 9 a.m. Saturday at Mililani Waena Elementary. Fee is $5 per class or $45 per month. Call 780-5640.
* ALZHEIMER HELP An Alzheimer’s support group meets at 6:30 p.m. on the fourth Wednesday of the month at The Plaza in Mililani. Call 591-2771.
* MILILANI SENIORS The Mililani Golden Years seniors club meets from 9:30 a.m. to noon Fridays at Mililani District Park for planned activities. All residents age 55 and older are welcome. Call 623-5258.
* PUPUKEA SENIORS Pohai Na Makua o Pupukea seniors club meets monthly at 9:30 a.m. on the first Tuesday, August through May, at Sunset Beach Recreation Center. Call 638-7213.
* HALEIWA SENIORS The Haleiwa Seniors club meets from 8 to 11:30 a.m. every Thursday at Waialua Community Association, across from Haleiwa post office. Arts and crafts teachers also are welcome to assist. Call 637-4606.
* WAHIAWA SENIORS The city sponsors weekly programs and activities for the Wahiawa Rainbows at 8:30 a.m. Mondays at Wahiawa District Park. Call 621-5663.
* MASTERS SWIM Veterans Memorial Aquatic Center offers a U.S. Masters swimming program, meeting at 7 p.m. each Monday and Wednesday at Central Oahu Regional Park. Call 677-8849.
* STORIES, FILMS Wahiawa Library sponsors a free storytime from 6 to 7:15 p.m. each Thursday and a free Movie Night at 5 p.m. each Tuesday. Call 622-6345.
* PADDLE FITNESS Rainbow Watersports offers Stand Up Paddle Fitness classes Saturdays at Haleiwa Bay. Call 372-9304.
* HULA Kumu hula Ali’i Manu conducts non-competitive hula classes (auana, kahiko and the aloha spirit) for the community at 7 p.m. Tuesdays at Mililani Uka Elementary School. Men and women ages 15 and up are welcome. Call 478-2400.
* WAIALUA WRITES Waialua Library’s writers group meets at 11 a.m. on the second Saturday at the library. Call 637-8286.
* ESCRIMA Patrick Delos Santos leads Kali Escrima classes in Filipino self-defense (stick fighting) at 6:30 p.m. Wednesdays and 9:30 a.m. Saturdays at Mililani Waena Elementary School. Fee is $50 per month. Call 398-0119.
* STRIDERS Leeward Stroller Strides group meets at 8:45 a.m. Tuesdays and Thursday at Central Oahu Regional Park, offering a fitness walk for moms and tots in strollers. Fee is $60 a month. A Schofield group meets at 8:45 a.m. Monday, Wednesday and Friday. For updates, call 398-6275.
* AIKIDO Mililani Aikido Club practices Tuesday and Thursday nights at Mililani District Park gym. Call 623-8937.