Central Oahu Highlights
Email Central Oahu items to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax them to 585-6324. The next edition is Nov. 6, and deadline is Oct. 30.
* NEIGHBORS Wahiawa-Whitmore Village Neighborhood Board meets at 7 p.m. Oct. 21 at Wahiawa District Park, North Shore meets at 7 p.m. Oct. 22 at Haleiwa Elementary cafeteria, and Mililani-Waipio-Melemanu meets at 7:30 p.m. Oct. 23 at Mililani Rec Center III. Call 768-3710.
* HEALTH CARE Volunteers from AARP Hawaii offers free power-point presentations on the new health care law (including materials) and how it may affect you at 6 p.m. Oct. 21 at Mililani Library (627-7470) and 1:15 p.m. and 6:15 p.m. Oct. 22 at Wahiawa Library (622-6345).
* SPOOKY TALES Veteran storyteller Anne Shimojima shares ghastly ghost stories at 6 p.m. Oct. 23 at Mililani Library for fans age 8 and older – tales that reflect her Asian heritage as well as worldwide stories. Call 627-7470.
* ORCHIDS Orchid expert Scot Mitamura leads a class in orchid culture at 9:30 a.m. Oct. 24 at Wahiawa Botanical Garden. Fee is $3 for residents, $5 for visitors. Call 522-7064.
* SUNSET FUN Sunset Beach Recreation Center sponsors Halloween Fun from 6 to 8 p.m. Oct. 24 with games and a costume contest for ages 3-13. Call 638-7213.
* PROPAGATION Erin Purple leads a free class in plant propagation basics at 9 a.m. Oct. 25 at Wahiawa Botanical Garden. Call 522-7064.
* ZOMBIE FUN Mililani Town Center presents Zombie Zumba at 6 p.m. Oct. 25 (prizes for best zombie costume); Spooktacular at 11 a.m. Oct. 26 with keiki costumes, games and prizes (plus pet adoptions from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.); and safe trick-or-treating and the Hope Chapel choir from 5 to 8 p.m. Oct. 31. Call 625-0108.
* BLOOD DRIVES Hawaii Blood Bank has donor drives from 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Oct. 25 Leilehua High (near the library), 7 a.m.-2 p.m. Oct. 26 at Mililani Town Center, 7:30-11 a.m. Oct. 26 at Laie Shopping Center. Call 848-4770.
* EARLY BIRD Mililani’s Early Bird Shopping Spree Craft & Gift Fair is open from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Oct. 26 at Mililani Uka Elementary, 94-380 Kuahelani Ave. Call 234-4044.
* MEETING DOGS Hawaii Dog Foundation hosts a “meet and greet” session with its adoptable dogs from noon to 2 p.m. Oct. 27 at Mililani Mauka Dog Park, 95-1069 Ukuwai St. Call 782-8387.
* GHOULISH FUN Wahiawa Library presents Mr. Matt and Costume Storytime at 6 p.m. Oct. 31, featuring creepy, crawly stories and ghostly, ghastly, ghoulishly fun crafts for ages 3-5 and everyone else. Call 622-6345.
* TREATS Mililani Shopping Center hosts a costume parade with plenty of treats from merchants from 5 to 7 p.m. Oct. 31 for keiki, plus photos in the pumpkin patch. Call 722-6467.
* ALOHA FEST Praise Chapel Fellowship’s out-reach hosts an Aloha Fest from 5 to 8 pm. Oct. 31 for the community at 1203 Whitmore Ave. offering a safe and fun Halloween night for keiki. Planned are candy, food, clothing, games and entertainment. Call 753-0121 or 753-8314.
* HAUNTED DOLE Dole Plantation offers a “reign of terror” through Oct. 31, featuring a haunted house (with 13 plantation curses) from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. daily. Nighttime scares from 7 to 11 p.m. on Fridays and Saturdays are the Trail of Terror maze, Nightmare Express train and special haunted house fright nights. Tickets cost $13 at the door. Visit doleplantation.com or nightmareslive.com.
* POLO SUNDAY Hawaii Polo Club hosts the final match of the season at 2 p.m. Oct. 27 for the USPA Ambassadors Cup on Mokuleia polo field. Admission is $10, $8 or $25 (clubhouse seats). Call 220-5153.
* HANALANI FAIR Hanalani Schools annual holiday craft fair is open from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Nov. 2 with arts, crafts, gifts and more. Call 625-0737.
* BANDSTAND Waialua Bandstand hosts entertainment by the U.S. Navy Pacific Fleet Brass Band at 4 p.m. Nov. 3, sponsored by VANS Triple Crown of Surfing. Call 637-9721.
* COACHES WANTED Hawaii Wrestling Officials Association seeks adults to officiate high school wrestling matches for 2013-2014 and no experience is needed. Meetings begin at 6 p.m. Nov. 5 in Aiea High gym. Call Stan Ono at 753-3968 or email him at email@example.com.
* CHAMBER MUSIC Chamber Music Hawaii presents the acclaimed Spring Wind Quintet at 10 a.m. Nov. 5 with classical works and traditional Hawaiian songs at Waialua Library. Call 637-8286.
* TECH PARK MART Hiraoka Farm sponsors a farmers market from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m Wednesdays at 100 Kahelu Ave. in Mililani Tech Park. Call 228-3714.
* ORCHIDS The Kunia Orchid Society meets on the first Tuesday of every month from 7 to 9 p.m. at the Mililani District Park. Call 221-8269.
* ART WALK The monthly Haleiwa Art Walk runs from 5 to 9 p.m. Oct. 26 in Haleiwa town, featuring sales, activities and events hosted by dozens of merchants. Call 637-4558.
* STORIES, FILMS Wa-hiawa Library has a free storytime from 6 to 7:15 p.m. each Thursday and a free Movie Night at 5 p.m. each Tuesday. Call 622-6345.
* WAIPIO MARKET Kaiser Waipio Clinic has a “fresh day” market of healthy food and produce for the public from 9 a.m. to noon Wednesdays at 94-1480 Moaniani St. Call 432-2270.
* LANGUAGES Language Wonderland leads Saturday morning classes for keiki age 12 and younger in Japanese, Mandarin Chinese and more. Fee is $165 for 10 classes. Call 1-760-477-3310.