Central Oahu Highlights
Email Central Oahu event items to email@example.com or fax them to 585-6324. The next edition is Aug. 28, and deadline is Aug. 21.
* THIRD FRIDAY Haleiwa Joe’s hosts a Third Friday live art and music event, Absolut Art, from 6 to 10 p.m. Aug. 16 at the Haleiwa venue, offering hands-on art, meeting artists plus live music and dancing. The after-party at 10 is for 21 and older with a $10 cover. Call 637-8005.
* MILILANI BON Mililani Hongwanji Mission has its bon dances at 7 p.m. Aug. 16-17 at 95-257 Kaloapau St. Call 625-0925.
* FISHPOND HELP Loko Ea Fishpond in Haleiwa (near Haleiwa Beach Park Mauka) welcomes a volunteer cleanup crew from 8:30 a.m. to 1:15 p.m. Aug. 17, with tools and free lunch provided. Call 637-3232.
* CARNIVAL Mililani Shopping Center hosts its Carnival of Fun from 3 to 5 p.m. Aug. 17 with a dance contest, rides, pie contest, balloon hats, games and food. The Salvation Army also conducts a food and funds drive. Call 722-6476.
* ROYAL MUSIC The Royal Hawaiian Band entertains at 9 a.m. Aug. 17 during the Wahiawa Pineapple Festival Parade and at noon the same day at Mililani Town Center. Call 922-5331.
* BOOK SALE The Friends of Waialua Library have a book sale from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Aug. 17. Call 637-8286.
* BLOOD DRIVES Hawaii Blood Bank has donor drives from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. Aug. 17 at Mililani Town Center and 7:30 a.m. to 1:15 p.m. Aug. 31 at Laie Shopping Center. Call 848-4770.
* KANIKAPILA Waimea Valley presents its final Kanikapila for 2013 from 1 to 4 p.m. Aug. 18 featuring the Obrigo Ohana in the pavilion. All musicians are welcome. Call 638-7766.
* MOON WALK Waimea Valley presents its final 2013 Moon Walk Aug. 20, which goes from the ticket booth to the waterfall and back. Fee is $10 per person. For time and details, call 638-7766.
* NEIGHBORS Wahiawa-Whitmore Village Neighborhood Board meets at 7 p.m. Aug. 19 at Wahiawa District Park, Mililani Mauka-Launani Valley board meets at 7 p.m. Aug. 20 at Mililani Mauka Elementary, North Shore at 7 p.m. Aug. 27 at Haleiwa Elementary cafeteria and Mililani-Waipio-Melemanu at 7:30 p.m. Aug. 28 at Mililani Rec Center III. Call 768-3710.
* LIONS LISTEN Wahiawa Lions Club meets at 6:45 p.m. Aug. 21 at Dot’s Restaurant to hear from state Rep. (and Lion) Marcus Oshiro, who will discuss Kaukonahua Park and the welcome sign. Call 522-5133.
* IRRIGATION Erin Purple shares “Irrigation Basics” in a free workshop at 9 a.m. Aug. 23 at Wahiawa Botanical Garden. Call 522-7066.
* BLUEGRASS Grammy-award winning musician Peter Rowan, whose career spans rock to bluegrass, performs at 8 p.m. Aug. 24 at Surfer the Bar at Turtle Bay Resort. Tickets are $25 in advance or $30 at the door; available at Surf ‘n’ Sea or by calling 293-8821.
* MEETING DOGS Hawaii Dog Foundation hosts a “meet and greet” session with its adoptable dogs from noon to 2 p.m. Aug. 24 at Mililani Mauka Dog Park, 95-1069 Ukuwai St. Call 782-8387.
* BOOK SALE The Friends of Mililani Library conduct a book sale from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Aug. 24 with bargains on books, CDs and DVDs. Volunteers also are welcome. Call Alice at 626-7292.
* CONCERT Waimea Valley completes its Generations Summer Concert Series from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Aug. 31 on the Pikake Pavilion Lawn with Kaiholu, Abrigo ‘Ohana, Waipuna and Maunalua (The Future), and emcee Mento Mele. Tickets cost $20 and $10 at the gate. For advance prices, call 638-7766.
* LIBRARY ART Wahiawa Library has an exhibition now through Aug. 31 of Leilehua High School students’ award-winning artwork, plus a printed guide to the display. Call 622-6345.
* PUPUKEA HIKE The Sierra Club leads a 9-mile moderate-level hike to Pupukea ridge Aug. 31. For details and to register, call 538-6616 or visit firstname.lastname@example.org.