Central Oahu Highlights
Send Central Oahu items to email@example.com or by fax to 585-6324. The next edition is Jan. 30 and the deadline is Jan. 23.
* BLOOD DRIVES Hawaii Blood Bank has donor drives from 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Jan. 15 at Leilehua High School and 7 a.m. to 12:45 p.m. Jan. 19 at Mililani Town Center. Call 848-4770.
* GRIEF SHARE A GriefShare Bereavement Group meets at 9 a.m. Jan. 15 at Wahiawa United Methodist Church, the first in a free 13-week course with workbook. Call 232-3992 or 622-4361.
* SCHOLARSHIPS The Office of Hawaiian Affairs presents a briefing on available Native Hawaiian scholarships and financial aid at 6 p.m. Jan. 15 at the UH-West Oahu student center, and at 3 p.m. Jan. 23 at the Leeward Community College campus center. Call 594-1888.
* NEIGHBORS Mililani Mauka-Launani Valley Neighborhood Board meets at 7 p.m. Jan. 15 at Mililani Mauka Elementary, the North Shore board meets at 7 p.m. Jan. 22 at Haleiwa Elementary cafeteria, Mililani-Waipio-Melemanu meets at 7:30 p.m. Jan. 23 at Mililani Rec Center III, and Wahiawa-Whitmore Village meets at 7 p.m. Jan. 28 at Wahiawa District Park. Call 768-3710.
* KAHUKU MUSIC Kingsland plays at 9 p.m. Jan. 17 and Haleiwa Slim & the Trailer Park Romeos play at 9 a.m. Jan. 19 (with the Joe Green Band opening) at Surfer the Bar in Turtle Bay Resort. Cover is $5 for age 21 and older. Also, the Oregon-based reggae band Synrgy plays at 9 p.m. Jan. 25 with a $10 cover. Call 293-6000.
* DANCE CLASSES Local girl Niki Badua, home from national tours, teaches dance workshops at 4 and 5 p.m. Jan. 18 at Applause! Performance Academy in Wahiawa. Fee is $25 for one, $35 for two, cash only. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* TAX PREP CLASS Hawaii Tax Help has volunteer tax preparer training from 8 to 11:30 a.m. and 12:30 to 4:30 p.m. Jan. 19 at Leeward Community College in Room GT-105. Learn it yourself, then help someone else. To sign up, call 381-0881 or email email@example.com.
* LUAU Waimea Valley serves a Hawaiian luau from noon to 3 p.m. Jan. 20, just prior to the monthly Kanikapila at 4 p.m. Cost is $25 per adult, $15 for keiki age 4 to 12. Call 638-7766.
* KANIKAPILA Waimea Valley presents its free monthly Kanikapila from 1 to 4 p.m. Jan. 20, Feb. 17 and March 17 in the pavilion area featuring the Abrigo family. Bring your own instrument, or just come and enjoy the music. Call 638-7766.
* CLOSURES All public schools and libraries are closed Jan. 21 in observance of the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday.
* MONDAY MUSIC Paula Fuga plays from 7 to 10 p.m. Jan. 21 and the Kaala Boys play from 7 to 10 p.m. Jan. 28 during Hawaiian Music Mondays at Surfer the Bar in Turtle Bay Resort. Call 293-6000.
* LIBRARY STORIES Mililani Library offers a preschool storytime at 10:30 a.m. on Tuesdays, Jan. 22-March 5, for ages 2 to 5, featuring finger plays, songs, crafts and stories. Call 627-7470.
* CAR SEATS Kaiser Permanente runs a free safe-ty inspection of child car seats and booster seats from 3:30 to 6 p.m. Jan. 25 at its Waipio clinic, 94-1480 Moaniani. St. Call 432-2260.
* MOON WALK Waimea Valley presents its monthly Moon Walk Jan. 25 (7:30 p.m.), Feb. 22 and March 22. Fee is $5 per person, and time varies – depending on the moon. Call 638-7766.
* ART WALK The monthly Haleiwa Art Walk runs from 5 to 9 p.m. Jan. 26 in Haleiwa town, featuring sales, activities and events hosted by dozens of merchants. Call 637-4558.
* HALEIWA HIKE The Hawaiian Trail & Mountain Club leads a 5-mile intermediate hike into Kawai’iki valley in Haleiwa at 8 a.m. Feb. 2. Go to htmclub.org.
* BANDSTAND Waialua Bandstand will not have a concert Feb. 3 because of the Super Bowl. Call 637-9721.
* CAREGIVERS The Caregiver Foundation hosts a caregiver support group at 7 p.m. Feb. 7 at Wahiawa General Hospital. Call 625-3782.
* PETS The new PetSmart Mililani store has its grand opening at 8 a.m. Feb. 9 at Mililani Town Center, where the national chain will occupy the former Kaiser clinic space.
* MEETING DOGS Hawaii Dog Foundation hosts a “meet and greet” session with its adoptable dogs from noon to 2 p.m. Jan. 26 and Feb. 9 and 23 at Mililani Mauka Dog Park, 95-1069 Ukuwai St. Call 782-8387.
* CANDIDATES Area residents must register by Feb. 15 (postmark) to run in the next Neighborhood Board elections, which will take place by mail April 24-May17 for a term starting July 1. All those who are at least 18 years of age by the deadline are eligible to run. Call 768-3717 to obtain a registration form.
* JAZZERCISE Kate Moore leads low-impact, one-hour Jazzercise classes at 6 and 7 p.m. Mondays at Mililani District Park, and beginners are welcome. She also leads Jazzercise at 6:15 p.m. Tuesdays and Thurs-days at Mililani Rec Center 5. Call 621-2482.
* KEIKI COUNCIL The Central District North Community Children’s Council meets at 5:30 p.m. on the third Wednesday of the month in Mililani High School Room C101. All parents of children with special needs are welcome. Call 586-5363.
* COMPUTERS A free tutoring service is available on computer basics at Wahiawa Library for seniors or anyone seeking help on using their personal computer. To arrange a time during library hours, call Clark at 622-2784 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* FIT MOMS Stroller-strides offers a fitness program for mothers who can get in shape, accompanied by their young children. Classes are 8:45-10 a.m. Tuesday and Thursday at Central Oahu Regional Park. Call 258-0402 or go to strollerstrides.com.
* CONSERVATION The Oahu Army Natural Resource Program welcomes volunteers for its service trips and environmental outreach projects in the Waianae and Koolau mountains to control invasive weeds and more. Call Kim or Celeste at 656-7741.
* WAIALUA WRITERS The Waialua Library writers group meets at 11 a.m. on the second Saturday of each month at the library. Call 637-8286.
* BALLET Weinberg Community Center has ballet classes for children (ages 4 to 18) at 67-174 Farrington Hwy. in Waialua. Call Kristin Rivers at 623-9062.
* SUP YOGA Judy Kosaka conducts SUP Yoga (yoga on a stand up paddle board) at 9:30 a.m. Sundays at Anahulu Stream in Haleiwa for $10 per lesson (bring your own board). Other training also is available. Call Aloha SUP Yoga at 627-9444 or email email@example.com.
* NORTH MARKET The North Shore Country Market runs from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturdays at Sunset Beach Elementary School, selling Hawaii-made items exclusively. Vendors are welcome. Call 673-3296.
* WAIALUA CO-OP The Waialua Farmers Coop Market sells local produce, plants and more from 4:30 to 7 p.m. Wednesdays and 8:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturdays at Waialua Sugar Mill. Call 637-4439.
* WAHIAWA MARKET A farmers market is open from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. each Thursday in the Wahiawa Hongwanji Mission parking lot at 1067 California Ave. Visit wahiawacdbo.org.
* HALEIWA MARKET Haleiwa Farmers Market is open from 3 to 7 p.m. each Thursday in the Pikake Pavilion and main lawn at Waimea Valley. Call 388-9696.
* WAIPIO MARKET Kaiser Waipio Clinic hosts a “fresh day” market of healthy food and produce from 9 a.m. to noon each Wednesday at 94-1480 Moaniani St. Call 432-2270.
* MILILANI MARKET Mililani High School hosts a Farmers Market from 8 to 11 a.m. Sundays in the gym parking lot. Call 848-2074.
* CITY MARKETS The People’s Open Market sells produce on Tuesdays from 10 to 11 a.m. at Wahiawa District Park and from 11:45 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at Mililani District Park. Call 522-7088.
* AIKIDO Mililani Aikido Club practices Tuesday and Thursday nights at Mililani District Park gymnasium. Call 623-8937.
* KAHUKU MUSIC Hang Ten at Turtle Bay Resort has live music from 5 to 8 p.m. several week-nights and weekend dates each month. Call 779-5546.
* GROUP YOGA Judy Kosaka conducts group yoga classes at 7 p.m. Tuesdays in Mililani Rec Center 6 for MTA members ($10) and guests ($11). Call 627-9444 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* YOGA North Shore Yoga Co-op has yoga classes for all ages at the Weinberg Community Center in Waialua. Donations are appreciated. Call 561-9639 or go to northshoreyoga.org.
* AEROBIC DANCE Malia Delapenia offers the aerobic dance class, Shimmy Fitness, at 7:15 p.m. Mondays at Mililani Rec Center I for MTA members and the public. Call 234-1006.
* PADDLE FITNESS Rainbow Watersports offers Stand Up Paddle Fitness classes Saturdays at Haleiwa Bay. Call 372-9304.
* HULA Kumu hula Ali’i Manu leads non-competitive hula classes for the community at 7 p.m. Tuesdays at Mililani Uka Elementary School. Men and women age 15 years and up are welcome. Call 478-2400.
* ESCRIMA Patrick Delos Santos leads Kali Escrima classes in Filipino self-defense (stick fighting) at 6:30 p.m. Wednesdays and 9:30 a.m. Saturdays at Mililani Waena Elementary School. Fee is $50 per month. Call 398-0119.