Campbell’s Wyatt Tau Is West Basketball Coach Of The Year
West Boys Basketball
Campbell High’s Gilbert Dayanan saved some of his biggest efforts for the boys basketball team’s biggest games. Indeed, the senior guard was never better than when it counted most, delivering game-winning shots in victories over Kalaheo and Leilehua late in the season.
Dayanan was recently named the OIA West’s First Team in a vote of league coaches. He averaged 12.2 points per game on the season. Campbell’s Wyatt Tau was named the West’s Coach of the Year after leading the team to a 19-12 overall record, including preseason. (The Sabers were 11-2 versus OIA competition). Campbell was the OIA Red tournament runner-up and went on to finish fourth at the Division I state tournament – its highest finish since 2005.
Michael Merchant and Isaac Hurd made the Second Team from Campbell, while teammates Jomar Jett Gapusan and Melvin Bergado earned Honorable Mentions.
* Brandon Mendoza-Bulong made the First Team from Waipahu. A senior guard, Mendoza-Bulong was the OIA White’s fourth-leading scorer (13.5 ppg), reaching double figures in all but two league games. Fellow Marauder Dustin Morales earned Honorable Mention.
* Aiea’s Bryson Naito was chosen for the Second Team. A senior, Naito averaged 14.0 ppg to finish second in scoring for the OIA White. Kimo Souza, Brandon Lee, Amara Toure, Mana Kaahanui, Christian Maglaya and Shane Aque earned Honorable Mention from Aiea.
* Kapolei saw six players earn Honorable Mentions: Chance Kamaka, Micah Kapoi, Augustine Stridiron, Benjahmin Toomalatai, Matthew Henderson and Koa Alvarado. * Earning Honorable Mention from Pearl City were Eric Dela Pena and Garrette Kanamau.
West Girls Basketball
Aiea High’s Mich’lae Higa led the way in OIA West girls basketball, earning a spot on the First Team. Higa averaged 15.3 ppg to finish fifth in scoring in the OIA Red. Na Ali’i team-mates Aliysha Cooper-Tabisola, Kailly Paulo, Kyle Johnson and Natasha Maroney earned Honorable Mentions. Aiea finished 5-5 for the season.
* Kapolei junior Amayha Dycus made the Second Team, averaging 12.4 ppg. Teammates Kaitlyn Lanier, Kela Whitehurst and Raquel Lasconia earned Honorable Mentions.
* Campbell saw a trio of its players earn Honorable Mentions from the West: Brandy Contrades, Cydney Curran and Sabrina Marzan.
* Ciera Sylva and Kayelah Arakaki earned Honorable Mention from Pearl City, while Krystle Aceret was chosen from Waipahu High’s team.